Doctors Office Getting Protime

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryj

I went to the doctor for my Fasting Glucose test and to pick up my Diabetic home tester and my doctor said to let my husband know they had gotten in a new Protime Checker and they were testing on using it now. We both love our doctors and nurses at our PCPS office but have been very unhappy with the way they have to handle their lab results for the INR. Now that problem is solved. He said they have about 100 patients a month that test for their INR in that office. They should have had one long ago. I guess enough of us finally complained enough. Also, last month after the disaster of getting our result late and then getting the wrong result we let them know we were pursuing getting our own machine. Maybe that helped their decision. All I know is it was way too easy to get the diabetic tester free from their office when it takes so much work to get a Protime tester when you are willing to pay for it out of pocket.

Glucose testing

Glucose testing

There are probably millions of diabetics using home glucose monitors over a long period of time and they have gained acceptance with the medical community.

Acceptance with home INR monitors has been slow in coming--a lot of practitioners have never heard of them and are skeptical about their accuracy. Some patients can't afford them and so the number of home INR testers is small compared to the glucose meters. As recently as last year two major cardiac centres in Ontario told me they had never heard of them and I met with resistance when asked my PCP about home monitoring. He said he would approve a monitor only if it was used at the same time the lab took a vein draw. So it was an uphill battle for me too.

Hopefully as INR monitors gain acceptance the costs will come down enabling patients to enjoy the convenience of home testing.

Cheers

Terry's a lucky duck!

I've decided to re-enter the fray to get a home testing unit. I'll need to go through the whole rejection thing from my insurers again, but I think I'll just pay for one on my own. Then I'll have to convince my pcp that it's reliable. I gave up 3 years ago when I was turned down by insurance & doc said I'd also need venous draws; But unless I start somewhere I'm going to be stuck (literally) with the lab draws forever!

Advantages with home testing over lab draws

Advantages with home testing over lab draws

Hello Georgia,

When my PCP turned my request for a home monitor I began contacting all the large cardiac centres in Ontario I could find. I was doubly motivated because a cardiologist tore the vein in my arm during a cath and tied it shut--knowledge no one seemed to think I should know prior to being given a mechanical valve. So after several years of vein draws technicians were having to use the back of my hand and I was determined somehow or another I would be successful in convincing my PCP it was in my own best interests to have a home monitor.

Of all the hospitals providing valve replace surgery and with an anti-coagulation clinic I contacted only one responded favourably and they trained me to use my Coaguchek S.

Our insurance company told me the monitors were so unreliable I was putting myself of risk by using one and were doing me a favour by not paying for it. What drivel.

The costs of monitors and strips is expensive, I pay for everything myself, and am convinced it's the absolute best way to handle ACT.

Anyway if you can find a hospital that recommends their use in your area it will be difficult for your PCP to disagree. Mine didn't.

Good luck

Georgia said:
Terry's a lucky duck!

I've decided to re-enter the fray to get a home testing unit. I'll need to go through the whole rejection thing from my insurers again, but I think I'll just pay for one on my own. Then I'll have to convince my pcp that it's reliable. I gave up 3 years ago when I was turned down by insurance & doc said I'd also need venous draws; But unless I start somewhere I'm going to be stuck (literally) with the lab draws forever!

Thanks, Lance. I'm hoping that the London study on home testing and self-management will influence my doc. He'll write the prescription for the unit, but I know he really doesn't trust it.

I'm pretty veinless, too; chemotherapy permanently scarred lots of my veins, and the repeated draws from hospitalization & inr tests have trashed most of the rest. Nearly all my draws are from my hands :eek:. Just not fun.

I'm kindof tied up right now with my mom's estate; but when I finish messing with that my next project will be home testing. YAY!

Latest posts

Back