Doctor in Phoenix area?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mecretired

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
My DIL's father needs MV repair/replacement. He recently moved to the Phoenix area and is not familiar with the hospitals, surgeons, etc. Also, his former cardiologist in MO says minimally invasive is questionable whereas the new cardiologist in AZ says yes. I referred him to this site, but I'm not sure if he will use it. I also remember how anxious and totally lost I was until I found a hospital/cardiologist/surgeon. Can anyone in the Phoenix area make any recommendations/suggestions?

While I can't make recommendations for the Phoenix area, I will say that cardiologists will not always be honest about the technique. I waffled between minimally invasive (right thoracotomy) and robotic. I changed my mind to robotic and thus a different hospital and my cardiologist was livid. He guaranteed that the outcomes are just as good between any type of minimally invasive or OHS. An outcome means the same end result. While this is true, my surgery was ridiculously much easier than open heart, for example, from reading this board. Don't be pushed into something without thinking it through but I'm sure you know that already. And my cardiologist is a former cardiologist. Good luck.

I agree about Cardiologists. My Cardiologist told me I should have a mechanical valve because I was under 60. I decided to get a tissue valve and I'm very pleased with my decision. I don't, however, think it's an issue of honesty. They have their opinions based on their education, experience, and so on. In the end you may not agree; few of the decisions patients need to make are cut and dried. That's why you need to do your research and make your own decisions. As for whether minimally invasive surgery (or any other technique) is possible or preferable, I think that's more in the surgeon's domain rather than the Cardiologist's.

I'm sorry I can't recommend a surgeon in Phoenix. Did his new cardiologist in AZ recommend any? Have you looked at other web sites?

Good luck!

I agree about Cardiologists. My Cardiologist told me I should have a mechanical valve because I was under 60. I decided to get a tissue valve and I'm very pleased with my decision. I don't, however, think it's an issue of honesty. They have their opinions based on their education, experience, and so on. In the end you may not agree; few of the decisions patients need to make are cut and dried. That's why you need to do your research and make your own decisions. As for whether minimally invasive surgery (or any other technique) is possible or preferable, I think that's more in the surgeon's domain rather than the Cardiologist's.

I'm sorry I can't recommend a surgeon in Phoenix. Did his new cardiologist in AZ recommend any? Have you looked at other web sites?

Good luck!

I agree. In my case, however, the cardiologist was in one hospital that didn't do robotic while the surgeon chosen was at a competing hospital that did.

Phoenix Area

Phoenix Area

I moved to a community south of Phoenix in June, but haven't been concerned with finding any new doctors yet. I'm still using my cardiologist in Denver to get prescriptions.

From what I've seen while cruising the area, it shouldn't be too hard to find a doctor or a surgeon. The Arizona Heart Institute appears to have quite a few offices in and around the Phoenix area. I've seen several other cardiology practices even where I live in Casa Grande (that's about 20-25 minutes south of the south Phoenix area).

Hank may be able to give you some good leads. He lives in Mesa. Maybe you should drop him a pm.

-Philip

Latest posts

Back