Doc says, " Its Time". UH O......

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow.... I must say I am surprised with all the replies. Thank You. It?s nice to read all these posts and see how things went for other people. My doctor has said that my recovery will be a little quicker for some reason (I have no idea why) He says I should be able to drive in two weeks and be able to start working again (short days) in 6 weeks. We?ll see. All this assumes that things go well.

I am concerned about the surgery, but all in all I have little or no control over this. I am more concerned about the medication that I will need to take for the rest of my life. This will be a major adjustment for me. I see there is another section that just talks about that so I plan to do a little reading there.

Anyone have any experience with MUSC in the past? They rate rather well in all the medical magazines.

Welcome (unfortunately) to the site. It is a shame to have to be going through this but you have found a wonderful place to spend your time while you are waiting. I am scheduled for surgery on the 28th and I can't seem to tear myself away from the computer. My husband is suspicious that I may have an online tryst going on!!!
It just helps to keep checking in and see all the posts from the different ones that are having surgery and how they are doing. It is also fantastic to hear from all the ones that have had theirs several years ago and are still willing to come here and give us all the support that we need.
Take care and do well!!

FWIW, don't get "hung up" about taking Coumadine(warfarin) for the long hall. It DOES RECQUIRE that you need to take it as prescribed and to test regularly. I have found that it has had very little effect on lifestyle or activities. Get into a regular routine of taking the drug (I take mine in the AM). I STRONGLY suggest a seven day pillbox. Test your INR regularly (I test 2 to 4 weeks normally). My diet is ANYTHING I enjoy. I really enjoy "green vit K vegas". Alcohol, in moderation, should cause no problem.

I liken warfarin to the "tail" and me as the "dog" and I DO NOT let the "tail wag the dog".

So it’s hard to believe that a month has flown by. I now find myself a week away from my surgery and starting to get very nervous. I can no longer just "not think about it" All the papers and bills from the hospital, insurance company, and disability claims are coming in. At least so far most contain good news, like they approved me for the surgery. People in the office have found out and I am getting all that sympathy comments. Also finding it very hard to sleep at night.

Anyway I will eventually get through this week and will defiantly try to stay busy. I must say I am feeling worse every day. Stairs at work have become a challenge. I get very winded just washing my car this weekend. So deep down I know its time.

Anyway 2 questions. Any advice on getting though this week? Next Monday (day before surgery) I have to report to the hospital for the day for a bunch of tests. They have not said much of what this will entail only that it will take all day. Any ideas? Is this where they explain the realities of the surgery and make you sign you life away?

If you have made all the preparations you need to make in order to have your house "replacement friendly" when you leave the hospital, I would suggest that you do everything that you enjoy doing this last week and try to put surgery out of your mind.
Whatever brings you joy, do it!
The day before I had surgery, I had blood drawn and a heart catheterization. I can't remember when I signed papers so that must have been a non-event.
I spent that night in the hospital in preparation for surgery the next day. Will you be admitted on Monday?

Sounds like if you are having symptoms, the time is right to have it taken care of. I wish you well.

I don't remember all the details but I recall the day before surgery at the hospital as being rather reassuring. In addition to testing, they did go over the procedure and invited questions. I am sure I signed some sort of informed consent but that is standard with any surgery.

As for this week, some on here have said they got some sort of prescription to ease anxieties. I didn't so can't tell you about that, but others can.

All best to you, scguy!

Don't think I will be spending the night, at least they didn't say that. They have already done the heart Cath and other tests about a year ago. Just been monitoring with Echo's every couple months since. I was told I needed this surgery over a year ago when the symptoms started getting worse quickly I finally pulled the trigger.

Anyway 2 questions. Any advice on getting though this week?

I just kept as busy as I could. For example, I prepare my house to accommodate my recovery, such as arranging an area on the main floor so I didn't have to climb the stairs to the bedroom to rest, moved items I would need so that they were easily accessable, prepared for meals and froze them to eat later, etc. I also went shopping and bought some dvds and books to pass the time while I was off work.

Next Monday (day before surgery) I have to report to the hospital for the day for a bunch of tests. They have not said much of what this will entail only that it will take all day. Any ideas? Is this where they explain the realities of the surgery and make you sign you life away?

Pretty much. I had the usual tests (blood, etc), signed lots of forms, arranged for the room and amenities like the phone and TV, met with the surgical team as well of the step-down doctor. Took a tour of the facilities. Got shown a few videos on "what to expect" and also shown how to use the spirometer.

Sometimes if you're a year out from a heart cath, they will do it again to be on the safe side. That's why I had to have one done again. But if you're not expecting to stay, I doubt that they are planning on one.
Good luck, and we'll have a surgery thread going for you a little later so you'll know we've got your back!;):)

Scguy,welcome and glad you joined,sorry for reason
Weve all been at this and for sure the wait is the very
difficult thing,had my first surgery 16 years ago and waiting
shortly for my 2nd no date yet,but soon. Try and not worry
during these next few days here,thats easier said then done,
keep busy with other things,the time will pass quickly and
i know you will feel so much better after,my thing was stairs
and tiredness the first surgery i had the aortic done i wondered
why i waited so long,i felt good like now,i could breath.My
symptoms much the same this time with the mitral and i can't
wait to get a date and get it done asap.But the wait is the
worst for all of us and keep busy,it's gonna be fine and your
going to be brand new,posting us how will everything went
Please relax and enjoy yourself before your new valveversary
day:) I'm sure your tests are priority blood work etc lots of
talking to anesthesiast etc before surgery all preparations for
your surgery day,we all go through it.adding my prayers and
all the best for you for your surgery.

zipper2 (DEB)

My pre op day involved, blood work, chest x-ray, meet with anesthesiologist nurse, meet with cardiac nurse, and I refused to watch the cardiac video....ha ha.
I was admitted the day before, signed papers, and I don't remember anything else until after the surgery.
The week before I was given a few Ativan pills in case I freaked out, but I didn't take any.

welcome to the site, your nearly done with what I thought was the worst part of the OHS experience, the waiting leading to the surgery. The things you can look forward to the day before is probably a heart cath procedure (no biggy), some blood work (no biggy), and then chatting with various people about the nuts and bolts of the procedure. I was pretty well freaked out a week before my surgery but by the time I got to the hospital I was good to go, I knew I needed to have it done and knowing that less than 2% of people who get AVRs don't survive. Given that I was 42, healthy otherwise, I wasn't really worried about it by the time I got to the hospital.

Im 6 months post-op now and other than the scar on my chest and the pillbox on my bathroom sink I don't think would even know I've been through the surgery. And if your getting winded doing simple chores it certainly time for you to get this dealt with. Just wait till 3 or 4 months down the road, your gonna feel better than you have in years, I promise !

scguy, just get your head in the right place is my advice. :) Focus beyond surgery on a positive outcome when the new energised you comes into play.

Looking forward to hearing from you post op. ;) :)

scguy,

My thoughts and prayers are with you too. I am a week and two days from Surgery and, like you, am getting anxious. I am trying to focus on work as much as possible, tying up all the loose ends I can before taking an extended leave. Getting things done around the house so my wife wont have to, getting the house ready for post-op and spending as much time with my wife as possible.

THe more I think about it, the more freaked out I get and the less sleep I can acheive. I am sure you will be fine.

Victor

scguy,

........................ I am a week and two days from Surgery and, like you, am getting anxious. .....................

THe more I think about it, the more freaked out I get and the less sleep I can acheive. I am sure you will be fine.

Victor

Victor, try to stay mentally strong and focussed on a positive outcome. You do no favours to yourself, your loved ones and the medics, if you enter theatre with your head in a mess. I'm sure you will be fine. :)

So you wont believe this. I get a call from the hospital saying that they have canceled my surgery for Tuesday and moved it to Thursday. Great two more days to think about it....... UHG

Guess someone who was worse than me checked in and stole my spot.

Hi scguy,

I wish there was a way for us post-surgery people to transfer to you pre-surgery people the reassurance you need. The most likely outcome is that in a few weeks you too will be marveling at how much less drastic the experience was than you feared. At almost twice your age, I'm back to normal activity level and better within 6 months.

One good thing before surgery is to make plans for something you can enjoy a month after surgery, 3 months after, so your mental horizon is set beyond being wheeled into the operating room. My husband enlarged a vacation picture of me out hiking, and that was good to have in my room.

Sorry about the delayed date--that must be frustrating.

I wish you well--please let us know how you are doing.

Latest posts

Back