Do you have sternum pain after open heart surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings,

I had my bicuspid aortic valve replaced with an On-X mechanical valve on Aug. 29th. I was recovering like a rockstar for the first 1.5 weeks (with very little pain), but then, I caught the common cold. It was not a bad cold, just 3 – 4 days of coughing & sneezing. Well, this sent my rib cage, sternum and mid-back into a protective lock-down. My body basically over reacted, and it was rather painful to inhale & exhale for the next 2 weeks. I looked on line to try to find answers because my surgeon didn’t have any answers other than, take some muscle relaxers (that didn’t help much). Online I found a New Zealand physical therapist, Steve August, that had lots of experience & solutions for this condition. He had Costochondritis for 7yrs and was a PT, so he was educated & motivated to do something about it. As a result, he developed a product called the Backpod that you lay on to help address/release the cause of the sternum pain. In addition, he has advice on self-care (exercises, breathing techniques & stretches), massage therapy/physical therapy to help people get better. or Backpod helps Costochondritis and Tietze’s Syndrome | Bodystance

It’s important to note that there are many reasons why people get sternum pain and one of them is through open heart surgery (OHS). When the sternum is split open, it transfers a lot of stress through the ribs into the connections to the spine. After the sternum is wired back together, the insult to the rib end connections can show itself. Also, OHS patients need to let their sternum & incision heal enough before doing most of the self-care and physical therapy, but careful deep tissue massage therapy on your back and ribs is something you can do while the sternum & incision are healing. My rib & sternum has felt better after a back/rib massage in the last few weeks.

Two weeks after my cold, my mid-back and ribs started calming down and I could tell that I was left with a large amount of discomfort of the soft tissue between my sternum & ribs. I purchased the Backpod and things started to loosen up more. Using the Backpod was good at home self-care in between the weekly deep tissue massages. Unfortunately, I am having some complications with my incision healing, so I need to take a break from using the Backpod, but I feel Steve has some good things to share. If you have sternum pain after OHS, you might find some benefit from looking at his youtube videos and reviewing his web site. I live in Florida (USA) and have no affiliation with Steve or his business, but I just wanted to share this with the group because it sucks to be in pain and hopefully it can help other people.

Take care valve replacement extended family!

-Kevin

Sneezing was very intense week or two after surgery- a cold like you describe - yech.
The pillow really helped support my sternum. Squeeze pillow tight against the chest before the sneeze - worked great.
More preventative tip that I learned was to rub the tip of you nose to stop the sneeze.
I loved my heart pillow that help in a huge way on the sternum.

I loved my heart pillow that help in a huge way on the sternum.

Yes the heart pillow was VERY essential for me during recovery.

Not only in the initial weeks at home but when I started driving again I couldn't do without it, to keep the safety belt off my still sensitive chest area. I even still keep it in the car and use it sometimes to keep the belt raised off my left collarbone which sticks out a bit the way it healed after it snapped in two many years ago when I dove for a ground ball playing baseball....

The hospital gave me a Heart Hugger for my 1st OHS. It was great for support when coughing or sneezing. I didn’t keep it after recovery. My 2nd surgery, I was given a heart shaped pillow. This didn’t help me at all. No support. It now is a decorative pillow on my bed! For my 3rd surgery, I ordered my own Heart Hugger and brought it with me. It’s not cheap, so I threw it in a drawer after recovering, just in case I have another surgery.

I was given a harness (mostly straps) not a vest. I never used the harness. They had me put it on a few times in the hospital but it was a precaution and did not do anything to assist with movement such as prevent things from being more painful. With the harness on it was a matter of ongoing discomfort vs. dealing with some pain if I clenched muscles or an occasional cough. I was fortunate that my surgeon installed a sternum brace. I did not have the typical restrictions that come with open heart surgery.

Although it is forbidden I drove within the first week when I was home. I had no other way to get to the lab for blood draws. The sternum brace afforded me the freedom of movement. Also with the added stability, it provided some extra freedom from potential discomfort when using muscles. The danger is more to you not so much other drivers. You cannot withstand the impact of an airbag if it was deployed. Of course I was extra extra cautious. I was probably the safer driver compared to 75% of other drivers on the road taking everything for granted and/or rushing around like everyone is in their way. I carefully assessed my strength before going though with it.

I accepted the heart pillow as a token rather than a tool. I rarely used it in the hospital and at home partially because I did not find it useful in the instances I needed something to help with tightening the muscles. I usually used blankets and bed pillows because they were involved when I needed the buffer. If I coughed it happened before I could get the pillow in place. It was just a single or main then minor secondary cough. I was lucky and did not have bouts of coughing spells.

Last edited:
You were not to drive for a few weeks after surgery. You were very lucky.
HI Caroline,

Slipkid is not saying he started driving immediately. He is saying that when he eventually started driving again he couldn't do without the heart pillow.

"Not only in the initial weeks at home but when I started driving again I couldn't do without it..."

I had a heart pillow and used it. It was helpful most when coughing. My only restriction on driving was "don't drive while on narcotic pain pills."

You were not to drive for a few weeks after surgery. You were very lucky.

No luck involved. I was not allowed to drive until I think the 6th week, but was still too painful to even try..Think I did not start driving until about 7 (or even8?) weeks after surgery. And to even do that after I still really needed that pillow to lift the belt off my chest. I even needed it as a passenger in the car for trips to the Dr/hospital for tests during the 1st 7 weeks, just being slightly jostled in a car was horrible....

HI Caroline,

Slipkid is not saying he started driving immediately. He is saying that when he eventually started driving again he couldn't do without the heart pillow.

"Not only in the initial weeks at home but when I started driving again I couldn't do without it..."

Right. I just replied to Caroline to clarify that but if I saw your response first I would have needed too (doh!).

Right. I just replied to Caroline to clarify that but if I saw your response first I would have needed too (doh!).
He just did not read the comment carefully enough. And it takes some longer to get better, when it takes a year for the muscles to heal, and you know when you are able to drive. Thanks for standing up for me and have a great day.

HI Caroline,

Be nicer to people in what I said, read it again carefully.
Have a nice day.

Yes, I used the heart pillow and did not drive for 3 months. My surgeon noted that the surgery is "violent" and traumatic to the sternum and just give it time to heal. It took about six months before I could stop hearing my hear beat at night in bed. Take the time to heal.
(I was back paddling an OC-1 in 4 months--gently-- and an OC-6 in 6 months.)

Back