Do most people have a 1 yr check up/echo??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jean,
I, too, need to get around to scheduling a one-year checkup (June 5 is my anniversary). I think that if you are having any symptoms or problems at all, they will want you to get in right away. It might be something easily addressed, or it might be anxiety...sounds like you have a major concern with your sister.

My wife has had terrific success with Weight Watchers. They use a "point system" rather than calorie counting that is very simple and allows you to eat normal meals with no special diet. My mother lost over 100 lbs. in a year by walking 40 minutes every day and by eliminating snacking (no special diet for her, either).

For the first time in my life, I have to think about losing some weight. I always was able to eat anything I wanted and still have my weight be where it should be. However, in hindsight I think my appetite may have been somewhat suppressed by my heart's condition. Now that it's all fixed, I feel much better and LOVE food, whereas I used to eat just because I had to. I think losing weight is an intensely personal thing, where what works for one person may not work well for another. I am going to try cutting out snacks and see if I can get rid of my slowly inflating "spare tire"!

Good luck, and prayers to your sister and family.

--John

Mine is every six months, unless the doctor says differently. I had echo at six months after surgery, none since. Like others have said here, every doctor is different and how you are recovering and your health in general plays a role in his decision. I am overweight at the present time, so mine is checking to making sure the heart is functioning properly as well as the valve. He is from India and they do a lot of the exame by touch and can tell if something is wrong. If there is, he do further testing. You will be fine. Just do as the cardio doctor tells you on how often to come back for annual checkups. Take care and be good.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's Valve

Dear Georgia:

My husband had two valves installed, St. Jude's, aortic and mitral.

His tricuspid valve now has a severe leak, which probably should have been repaired at the time the other two were done. We are on a "research" mission right now. (TEE scheduled for June)

From what I have read, tricuspid repair is ALWAYS preferable to replacement, as the right side of the heart is more subject to problems with mechanical valves. The issues that arise have to do with the lessened pumping action, and blood clots or vegetation can be an issue, creating serious problems. A repair to the tricuspid valve does not seem to create the same degree of problems. Tricuspid issues are not all that uncommon with mitral valve problems. Sounds like your doctor did exactly the right thing, whereas my husband continues to have problems. Additionally he is in chronic a-fib, which comes with another whole host of fatigue/clotting issues. Best of luck! - Marybeth

Dear Jean,
Call your cardio and talk to his nurse about your recent symptoms. I generally have an echo every six months, but at my last visit my cardio said he would see me in a year. He then said that he doubted that statement, since if there is anything that can possibly go wrong it will happen to me. lol (Gee you'd think he knew me or something!)

I've had to remind him that it was time for an echo from time to time. He's a busy guy and I don't expect him to remember everything from visit to visit.

Good luck and take care,
Zazzy

Thanks, guys

Thanks, guys

for the information on tricuspid repair. Makes me feel great.:D

I had an AVR, along with an anuerysm repair, and my cardio Dr. tests me every year with a treadmill and a Myo Cardio (sp?) infussion test, along with the echo test. June 7 will be my 3 year anniversary, and I always try to schedule the tests on a Friday or a Monday, and take the day off work. The tests take the better part of the morning, and that leaves me the afternoon to golf!:)

I had an echo at 6 months out. It was so positive and full of good news that when I went in for my 1 year follow up, we elected not to have an echo. I was feeling even better by that time. I believe I am slated to have one in October, which would be ~ 18 months post surgery.

Hi Jean,

I had a checkup at three months and six months after my AVR. Two weeks ago I had my first echo at one year, three months. It's a relief to have the echo done and get the results. I'm glad to say that I got the all clear and everything is working as it should. I now have to go back in a years time. If you are having any problems then perhaps you should ask to have an echo scan done to put your mind at rest.

Finally! I have an echo scheduled!

Finally! I have an echo scheduled!

When I started this thread, on Apr 26 I think, I was planning on calling Mon, to schedule an appt. but my sister passed away early the next morning.

With all the commotion that followed, I never got around to calling. I called 2 days ago, my PCP was supposed to give me a call back. I called this morning and reminded them, and the nurse just called me back a few minutes ago.

I have an echo scheduled for June 11th and a cardio appt on the 18th with a Dr. IP? Weird name, hope he's good. The two cardio's I did like there, have left the group, and the one I saw last fall, I really didn't care for.

Dear Jean,
My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your sister.

I am happy to hear you have appointments lined up. I sympathize with your having to see a new cardiologist. It seems so hard to have real continuity in health care these days. My PC physician left, and I no longer have a specific cardiologist to see. This doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the health care system.

I hope your check-up goes well, and that they find nothing of any consequence. In the mean time, take good care of your self and your family.

With sympathy and best wishes,
--John

Latest posts

Back