Dizzy Post Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubywhistle

Feeling good considering and know things could be worse BUT

Drs put me on beta blockers few days ago and i have noticed i am dizzy and SOB since. I had low blood pressure before surgery 87/57 and it went normal 100ish/60 after. Not sure what it is now but the drs have shown a bit of concern for my heart rate and said the old ticker is not recovering as fast as first thought - its only been 12days! Anyone have any ideas? I am trying not to get dissapointed but am feeling a bit lost after the drs told me things are not looking as good as planned.

Also it is far too hot here Aussie Summer and I am very heat sensitive (and the stockings are not helping this)

When I was in hospital (16 days) my fast HR freaked me out so the doctor prescribed Beta Blockers also, but
at too high a dose for a little person like me, so after I complained about the side effects and low BP, my dose
was cut in half with much better results.
This may not be the case with you, but it worked for me.
Best wishes.

I was started on beta blockers in the hospital to slow down my heart rate. It was running at about 112. It has controlled that. I did have a real sensativity to temperatures for about the first three weeks post surgery, but that seems to have gone away now. Hopefully your dizzyness is just a factor of your doctors getting your beta blocker dose right or your body adjusting to it.

Best of luck.

Dan

You are just 5 days out of Hospital so not only do your meds need to be regulated but you also may have some residual "pumphead" ....as to the stocking ask you doctors if you still need to wear them as it is my understanding that pressure hose are for when confined to bed so blood does not pool and form clots ........."if in doubt ,check it out"

Wow, I was and still am on beta blockers right after surgery to bring my fast heart rate down. Know that before surgery I had no heart rate, blood pressure or arrhythmia issues. My heart rate is usually 55 to 70 now at rest, my blood pressure is 100/70 on average now. The first month after surgery I was getting dizzy upon standing all the time, everyday it felt like I might fall or pass out because of it. Kinda scary but I figured it would get better, now at 15 weeks post op it has, I still get dizzy sometimes but its no big deal in comparison to what it was, the first month I was seriously praying that it would get better because it felt like it would never go away. I also was feeling short of breath like before surgery right after surgery for the first month, and into the second month slightly. Now I rarely feel short of breath. What I have noticed is that there are times throughout the day that it feels like I can't take a full breath, but I think it may be pacemaker related, like when my heart goes into block I think I can notice it and my heart thumps along with other strange sensations, I'm going to have a stress test soon to fine tune my pacemaker settings and see if it is to blame. Its hard to explain but its not the same kind of breathing issues I've had before surgery. Before surgery I was having congestive heart failure symptoms, this is not that but still kinda of annoying but most likely benign.

12 days post op is really soon to expect any kind of serious improvement. Even at 15 weeks is still early in recovery. I think we can start stretching out our legs at 6 months and even more at 12 months, you and I are still in the 1st quarter of the game and have a long way to go.

I can't help but just want to say I
hope your doctors help you resolve this so you can get on with your recovery.
Best wishes.

Hi Ruby
I am 5wks post op and like you I had Beta blockers and felt dizzy almost like being on a ship . I will say do not worry it is normal and is called fuzzy head syndrome and is very normal after heart surgery.
I would also like to say that like you I had very low blood pressure and I now break the beta blockers in half and have found the symptoms have gone just remember 12 days is very early days for such major surgery and just rest up and enjoy what you can do and dont worry about any thing else.
Take care and get well soon Tina-marie

Latest posts

Back