Dizzy, no explanation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never experienced this problem from heart surgery, BUT had vertigo several years ago, and tinnitus from a middle ear infection. The tinnitus almost drove me mad!!

Malibu,

I DO understand COMPLETELY what you are saying about feeling like the surgery has ruined your life. I had complications (and still have bouts of pericarditus) that has made me feel the same way. Having said that though, I believe in time things WILL get better for you, and once they do, those feelings will change! Just hang in there, try to be positive, and keep telling yourself, that this WILL get better! Keep us updated.

Hugs

Jackie & Michelle, have you had bloodwork done to test your sugar levels (an AC1 test after a 12 hour fast) will tell you a 28 day average sugar level... I found that post op my sugars have been hard to control and really just getting a handle on them three years post op

Michelle,

I am so sorry you are having all these problems! Just know that we are here for you and you are not alone.

Hugs

I've been searching the internet for answers and it seems that dizziness and lightheaded can be the most difficult ailments to pinpoint a cause for. I received very little hope in my research. I do feel like things are getting better though, I have had some days without this feeling so that gives me some hope that eventually the non-dizzy days will out-number the dizzy days.

Michelle

I am having the same type of dizzyness. It is not like that from spinning in circles. I was walking with a friend in Wal Mart several days ago and had to grab onto her. Sometimes when I look closely at things or move my eyes fast, I get the dizzies. I get it when I stop riding the bike, treadmill etc in PT. It just seems to be part of the aftermath of surgery and I suspect the medicine. It was worse on Admiorone, but I am on Multaq now. I think it is worse when I am in a-fib or had a bout of it. My hands are also very shaky too.

I think we just need to ride it all out and wait until we get better. I think it is all part of the healing process and all the meds. At least you know you are not alone. I am grabbing on to things now and then too.

Pat

Michelle,

Are you on beta blockers? The Cleveland Clinic put me on Metropolol after my surgery even though I have never had an arrythmia or high blood pressure. My cardiologist told me to keep taking them to avoid A-fib so I did. I often felt dizzy, spacey (like my head wasn't attached to my body), and had "visual migraines" with out the actual headache. I read that this could be caused by beta blockers so I worked with my internist and cardiologist to reduce the dose to the point it is working (I started to get palpatations when we reduced it too much) but without the side effects. If you're on beta blockers, talk to yor doctor about adjusting the dose or switching to a different one that doesn't affect you badly.

Good luck!

I think there is a big difference between vertigo and Light headed/dizzy spells. I have had both, and they are both disturbing in their own way. I was getting lightheaded until about 6 months out. I would get so light headed I nearly blacked out a few times, and several times my legs lost steam. That was most common when I got up from sitting or lying down.

The vertigo spells I had were more random, and would come at any time. During the vertigo type spells my body seemed to function perfectly, but my vision was wacko. It felt like I drank a bottle of rum, but was still not passed out. It was sort of like the scenes in movies that have a first person view of being on acid.

The light headed events went away and I feel very stable on my feet now. I am thinking that was part of the healing process, but also med adjustments. As for the vertigo, my GP told me there is a temporary form of vertigo that can come and go until it corrects itself.

Hi Debbie
You Have explained exactly how I am feeling,and I am 7mths post op,am going to a neurologist today,my diziness or lightheadness comes and goes.Was feeling fine up until two weeks ago and then it started at first I would notice it but thought it was nothing but now it is really bad.Also my arms and legs feel like they are floating or not quiet connected crazy.Anyway will let you know if we find anything.
Kind Regards
Paul

Hi just a quick update saw the doc and he said I was having sistolies that cause my heart to have these mini beats and there is no blood going to the brain therefore the dizziness .They Still can't explain the funny feeling in my throat anyway hope this helps

I hope everyone with these feelings is doing better. I have also had temporary "ill" feelings since my surgery, and I am 6 months post-op today. About 3 months ago I felt like I almost fainted while at work. I drank some water, but was really stressed about the feeling. I went to the ER for a precaution. To me it felt like my pacemaker quit on me. At the hospital they did blood tests, stroke tests, etc, but never found anything wrong and I was sent home about 4 hours later. I think I psyched myself out more after not feeling great.
A week later I started cardiac rehab and did a fasting blood test. I had a consult with the dietitien and she thought I may be reatcive hypoglycemic. This basically means by blood sugar can get lower after stresses, eg. execise, alcohol. poor diet, lack of sleep, too much caffeine, because my cells are slow to release sugar back to the blood. Symptoms of hypoglycemia are similar to what is described here. Since this finding I have eaten more frequently, and stayed away from high sugar foods. I think it might be helping. Once in a while I feel "off", but it usually passes after eating or resting. It's weird I didn't have this or notice it until after my OHS. I hope it goes away, but who knows. Has anyone else been treated for reatcive hypogymcemia?

I get hypoglycemic. I blame alot of stuff on bea blockers, but I'm going to do it again. From what I've read, beta blockers will mask the symptoms of and even exascerbate hypo or hyper glycemia. I find myself not knowing why I feel weird until I eat something and my brain returns to normal - then it's perfectly clear that my blood sugar was too low. Sometimes I feel almost stroke-like until I get some sugar in me. This never happened until the beta blockers, but that anecdote is not why I think the BB's do it. They really do have a strong effect on the body's metabolism.

My dizzy spells have finally ended about a month ago. I think maybe it is because I'm more used to my meds and I'm no longer anemic as far as I know. I don't feel anemic anymore. I'm relieved to get passed the dizzy spells. Now I feel comfortable driving and going in crowds. So there is life after OHS for me. I was worried I'd be screwed up for life, but I'm doing pretty well.

Latest posts

Back