Diving after surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbuck

Anyone know if its ok to scuba dive after getting an AVR? Would there be a difference mechanical vs. tissue. I'm assuming it will take at least a year after surgery befor I'll be ready for the weight of the tanks and whatnot on my back, but after that? Any reason I couldnt go to say 100 feet?

You certainly have to get clearance from your cardio/PCP. It's hard to make a general okay for everyone.

Other issue is if dive managers/companies will permit you. They have all those 'release of liability' forms and cardiac issues are always on them.

This question was asked here about a month or maybe less ago and a few members said their doctors have given okay.

I cannot imagine why this could possibly be a problem, unless you have another medical problem that would preclude it. Like my surgeon said, after my full recovery period (I think that was 6 months), there would be absolutely no restrictions on exercise or activities. I had a lot of questions like this prior to surgery. I developed a good relationship with the surgeon's staff and called them about once every week or two for the 3 months I waited after scheduling the surgery. One of those questions was about restrictions on exercise after AVR and aortic arch repair.

I'm six years out, with an Edwards bovine pericardial aortic valve, and was ok'd to take scuba lessons. I haven't, so can't tell you if there's a limit on the depth, but I would check it out.
Our son was in Marine Recon and did underwater demolition training. He told me that any type of replacement (he was talking joint along with heart valves) is a potential problem, but I don't know anymore than that.
If you get a definitive answer from your surgeon, please let us know.

Latest posts

Back