Disability after OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundsgirl

I was wondering if anyone here went on Social Security Disability after OHS?
Although I have many other issues along with the heart, back problems, migraines etc. My Cardio. sent me for a Physical Work Performance Evaluation before he would fill out a form from my lawyers, he said it would assist him with filling out the form as to how my heart would react as well as the other problems I mentioned. After he got the test results he said I was 100% disabled. My lawyer said that is good as far as getting my disability; that along with lots of other documentation. I was just wondering if anyone else got their disability after OHS? I am now waiting for a hearing with a judge, but my lawyer is trying to speed things up. My 6 month echo also came back showing moderate stenosis along with dystolic dysfunction etc. Funny how none of my echos never showed stenosis before the surgery. I'm still confused about that one. Anyway, I hope all is doing well.
My very best wishes to all of you.

Lisa
Round's girl

Yes I did. I made the mistake of not having a lawyer from the get go, so it took me 2 1/2 years to get approved. Once I got a lawyer, all it took was a phone call. I too, was awaiting a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge. I'll also note that it is nearly impossible to get approved for heart problems. I got mine for a bad hip. Make sure you list everything wrong with you no matter how trivial it may be.

I was wondering if anyone here went on Social Security Disability after OHS?
Although I have many other issues along with the heart, back problems, migraines etc. My Cardio. sent me for a Physical Work Performance Evaluation before he would fill out a form from my lawyers, he said it would assist him with filling out the form as to how my heart would react as well as the other problems I mentioned. After he got the test results he said I was 100% disabled. My lawyer said that is good as far as getting my disability; that along with lots of other documentation. I was just wondering if anyone else got their disability after OHS? I am now waiting for a hearing with a judge, but my lawyer is trying to speed things up. My 6 month echo also came back showing moderate stenosis along with dystolic dysfunction etc. Funny how none of my echos never showed stenosis before the surgery. I'm still confused about that one. Anyway, I hope all is doing well.
My very best wishes to all of you.

Lisa
Round's girl

Dear Lisa,

For a whole year I did battle w/SS & trying to get disability benefits. I had already been declared disabled by my employer's pension plan & was receiving that benefit, Thank God.

I was denied twice by SS & then I finally secured an attorney thanks to the recommendation of Ross & others on this forum & was granted the disability within 2-months after securing my attorney! In fact, he wrote a letter to the disability judge & I was approved without even having to appear in a hearing! :)

I have no doubt that you will get SS now that you've got an attorney!

Good luck to you & let us know! :)

Thanks Ross, I made the same mistake as far as the lawyer goes, I was trying for the disability before I ever had the open heart surgery. It's been 2 years in Oct. I am listing everything, from depression to my back, headaches ( 2 cysts in brain), digestive issues. If you guys remember I had to go with the tissue valve because of diverticulitis etc. All of which have been well documented. So, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Njean,
My heart goes out to you, I don't know how you ever got through 3 OHS's, that just blows my mind. I sometimes doubt myself as far as when the time will come for my 2nd one. I think I just don't know how I can do it again. You have to be one strong lady. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, and they reviewed my case before they would even take it. They said they don't take cases they don't think they can win. So I felt better about that. Who knows, I really didn't think I would need a lawyer, but found out different after trying to go it alone. It's almost as if they want you to give up the fight.

Yes, and they reviewed my case before they would even take it. They said they don't take cases they don't think they can win. So I felt better about that. Who knows, I really didn't think I would need a lawyer, but found out different after trying to go it alone. It's almost as if they want you to give up the fight.

You hit it right on the head, Lisa! They (SS) do want you to give up! They have thousands of cases pending so the more people give up the less they have to deal with! My attorney told me that almost everyone is turned down the 1st time they apply for benefits when they do it themselves so you're not alone! It took the son of a good friend of mine, 3 years before he was finally approved & that's because he finally had to get an attorney.

Whatever you do, don't give up & you're doing exactly the right thing by going w/an attorney! You'll get it, you'll see!:)

You hit it right on the head, Lisa! They (SS) do want you to give up! They have thousands of cases pending so the more people give up the less they have to deal with! My attorney told me that almost everyone is turned down the 1st time they apply for benefits when they do it themselves so you're not alone! It took the son of a good friend of mine, 3 years before he was finally approved & that's because he finally had to get an attorney.

Whatever you do, don't give up & you're doing exactly the right thing by going w/an attorney! You'll get it, you'll see!:)

And too Lisa, the attorney cannot charge you anymore than they are allowed by law & when they do get paid, it's from the "back pay" that SS owes you so you don't even feel it! :)

On the other side of the story, my husband, at age 55, applied for SS. Dual valves with chronic a-fib. I think much depends on (1) the reports from your doctors (2) your work history, and (3) for us, doing a face to face application.

He was approved in three weeks.

Marybeth

It sounds almost as if litigation attorneys who specialize in SS disability claims and the SS office are in cahoots. Especially if you need to engage a lawyer before you're successful. That's sad, in my view.

The other thing, Lisa, is you should ask your doctor about the possibility of pannus. This is an accumulation of sticky collagen that manages to love blocking the leaflets of heart valves. I didn't even know I had it happening to me until I became symptomatic. Please make sure you're getting exams often enough to keep you safe.

It sounds almost as if litigation attorneys who specialize in SS disability claims and the SS office are in cahoots. Especially if you need to engage a lawyer before you're successful. That's sad, in my view.

The other thing, Lisa, is you should ask your doctor about the possibility of pannus. This is an accumulation of sticky collagen that manages to love blocking the leaflets of heart valves. I didn't even know I had it happening to me until I became symptomatic. Please make sure you're getting exams often enough to keep you safe.

I totally agree w/you on the attorneys & SS Pamela !! It does seem to me too that they are in cahoots!

As for the pannus growth on the valves, that is EXACTLY what my case is right now w/my mitral valve!!

What helped me tremendously too Lisa, was letters from the first surgeon who did the first 2 OHS in 1975 & his assessment of everything & his input on my last OHS in 2006 & then I also had a letter from my PCP & my current cardiologist.

I agree, but if you want to get approved, what choices do you have? I didn't figure it out until I was denied for the 3rd time. Heck I even had documentation showing that I was virtually dead and it didn't get me anywhere.

Be sure to keep copies of everything you send to them and copies of all coorespondence with them as well. How many of you have heard, "Oh we lost your file?" I think they tell everyone that too!

Latest posts

Back