dilated aorta

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigred

New poster here.

I'm Keith, 35, had congenital aortic valve stenosis. I had a St Jude valve put in back in '89, going strong for the last 20 yrs.

I have been going to Deborah Heart & Lung since I was 5. Had my surgery done there by Lynn McGrath. Stopped going back in '01.

In '01 I had an echo that indicated my valve was leaky. Had a t.e.e. done that confirmed this, but told it was nothing to worry about at the time.
I just went back for a check up last week and was told that their records also indicated a mild dilated aorta of 4cm at the time of the t.e.e. . Needless to say that was news to me.

Anyway, I have been having some chest pain about an inch to the left of the middle of my sternum. Lasted about two weeks in the winter after shoveling, figured it was muscle since I haven't lifted in about 3 yrs. But more recently it's lasted about a week and I didn't over exert myself or begin working out recently.

I'm scheduled for a ct scan w/contrast and and echo next week. Obviously this will give some insight as to what's going on.

Honestly I'm assuming the dilated aorta has probably become an aneurysm at this point considering my history, the fact that it was 4cm 8 yrs ago, and the fact that I have pain in a specific area (most likely the ascending aorta). We'll see in the upcoming weeks if my fears are correct though.

Here's my question:
In the meantime, I know everyone is different, but is it possible for a dilated aorta "mild" as they put it at 4cm to stay that size over a period of 8 yrs?
Is the chest pain most likely related to the aorta? I'm assuming so, just want your opinion here.

Hi Keith, a lot of the time there is no pain associated with an aneurysm of the aorta. The echo and ct scan will give you the info you need. And yes a 4.0 cm aorta can stay stable for years and never need intervention. It is important to screen on a regular basis though. I am dealing with a 4.6cm aorta and mild (at this point) stenosis.

Welcome to the forum, and fire away with the questions, as you will get alot of support here.

Jerome

Keith,

I can't give you any specific info because my problem was isolated to a bad valve but others will be along that can give you insight.

I just wanted to say welcome and to also say that I think you have made a wise choice to get it checked out, best to know what all may be going on in there.

thanks for the greetings...

I'll definitely fill you in once I get some results. I'm scheduled for the ct and echo on wed, so I'm not sure when I can expect to get the results though. Either way I'll post them once rec'd.

I do know it's best to stay on top of this. It's not that I don't remember not being told about the dilation, I wasn't told. I had an echo that indicated the valve was leaky. From this they had me get the t.e.e. done a couple weeks later. I never saw that cardiologist again. He actually left the hospital and started his own private practice. My results were phoned in to my fam doc at the time. I was told not to worry about the leaky valve and that many patients live a full life with a leaky valve and never have to have it repaired/replaced.

Either way, it's my fault for not going for the last 8 yrs, can't do anything about that now except get the results and move fwd.

thanks again, this is a great site with tons of info. glad I found it.

Keith

Hi Bigred!

I also have the same pain in about the same spot off and on now for a couple of years. I asked my cardiologist and she didn't really have an answer.

Like yourself, I too have an ascending aortic aneurysm which is 4.1mm and also BAV.

Jerome,
Hi! Hey, I noticed that your ascending aorta was 4.6. Where at on your aorta is your aneurysm? Mine is right at the base of the heart and I've been told they like to do surgery at 4.5... Also, I have good BP etc, but I've been told by my cardiolgist to keep my heart rate below 70% when exercising. Were you given any restrictions?

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Bigred!

Also, I have good BP etc, but I've been told by my cardiolgist to keep my heart rate below 70% when exercising. Were you given any restrictions?

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff, my AA was 4.3 cm when last measured. My only restriction is not to lift anything over half my lean body weight = 95 lbs.

Of course, I'd have to get to my lean body weight first and that ain't gonna happen anytime soon!:D

Jim

My Ascending aorta is 4.0 also. My previous cardio felt it was due to the worsening leak in my BAV. My new cardio feels it's probably more related to a congenital factor. I tend to agree with the first one, but that's based on nothing scientific, just that my aortic dialtion conincided with my accelerated ventricular hypertrophy. In other words, both really started to increase at the same time. Now that I have a new valve (my 1 year echo is in a couple weeks) and I think it's working well, I'm hoping the aortic dilation won't increase. But I plan to follow BigRed's plan and monitor it over time. I've read about way too many cases in here of people's aortas dilating after AVR.

Hi Bigred!

Jerome,
Hi! Hey, I noticed that your ascending aorta was 4.6. Where at on your aorta is your aneurysm? Mine is right at the base of the heart and I've been told they like to do surgery at 4.5... Also, I have good BP etc, but I've been told by my cardiolgist to keep my heart rate below 70% when exercising. Were you given any restrictions?

Thanks
Jeff

The root is at about 4.4 and increases to 4.6 up to just before the arch. My beta blocker keeps me a 70% percent or less, no choice!! I was given no restrictions.

IF you develop an Intense Localized Pain, I recommend that you get to a Major Heart Hospital ASAP as that could be a sign that your Aorta is Disecting.

You need to know that Surgery of the Aorta is complex and may be 'beyond the comfort level' of your local Bypass and occasional Valve Replacement type surgeon.

My aortic root measure, based on an execise stress echocardiogram, is approximately 3.8CM and 4.0 at at the sinus of valsalva. Compared to a previous echocardiogram completed three and a half years ago there has been no changes at this time. BTW, anytime a doctor notes that the aorta is dilated or dilitated it implies that an aneuyrism is present.

Latest posts

Back