Difference between Europe and North America

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly the reason why I refuse to answer Brigette's question and list all of my complaints with the NHS. It is just asking for trouble. I have no doubt that someone from the UK, or anywhere else in the world with a different healthcare system, would come to the States and have issues with our system. I never said it was perfect. Already, Neil has felt the need to jump in and defend the NHS. My issues with the NHS were my issues, not anybody else's, and the fact that we made the decision when we moved there that we would come home if serious health care issues arose, was also our personal decision based on OUR personal experiences. That's all.

Kim

Thats fine, but I think people have to be open to criticisms. Its a way of improving if offered in that manor. Personally I think your reasons would be interesting, but because I'm a third party, I guess I'm not emotionally invested in the answer. :) I have had HUGE issues with the american system. Some of it actual crap that happened, some of it cultural. There seems to be a huge cultural barrier to changing the crap. But I can navagate and conform to both types of systems.

Its funny you say that you would come home if anything serious happened. That's what I told my family when we moved to the U.S. Drag me north across the border if anything happens. Its a lot harder to do than it seems, and didn't work out that way.

Although I do have a relative who was having heart trouble in his RV somewhere in south carolina, and flew his son in from Canada to drive all night to get him across the border. Not really smart IMO, but he was very afraid of the American Health care system.

My employer doesn't offer any of that, so the option just isn't there for me. An as an employee, we pay a large chunk of the insurance premium. Not a question to you, but one in general, why wouldn't they offer a choice and let us decide? This limits my choices and rations my health care to a great degree to what I was not used to, I feel very confined here in the land of the free.

My husband works at a hosptial where employees can choose between two tiers of coverage. There's a difference of $40 per paycheck between the two.

When I had replacement, I had BC/BS coverage and was also covered under my husband's insurance. If I remember correctly, I believe my AVR cost me $112 out of pocket.

Bottom line, move to SE Missouri if you want something different.;):)

A person I work with lived in the UK for a while and she mentioned that when she traveled for extended periods she had to get other health coverage because her insurance from there wouldn't cover anything out of the country, even if it was an emergency. It seems like I remember other people here saying something similar, but it didn't register.

If this is true, that would be a major difference. My insurance goes with me no matter where I go and covers emergencies. My dad was in a moped wreck in Cozumel (a British guy forgot about that right side of the road thing when he pulled onto the street from his hotel!) and his Aetna policy covered the cost of the ER (if you can call it that). Since Cozumel is a tourist spot, they are used to dealing with people from other countries and only asked him for his $50 copay up front!

The point is that there are differences, and generally speaking, you like what you're used to. I just don't like the idea of any bureaucrat telling me what to do when it comes to my health! That includes the bureaucrats with the government and the bureaucrats with managed care plans (which pays my paycheck!).

As the UK system isn't an insurance system, it is funded in the same way as education. If you travel overseas then yes, you need to take travel insurance, this covers everything from baggage or travel delays to medical cover. There are reciprocal arrangements with some countries but that might only offer a certain degree of care.

What Sue says re insurance applies to NZ as well.

Oh well, it seems we're all comfortable with our home countries health care systems, even if they do have their flaws which they all do to some extent of course. No country has the perfect set-up, if it did the rest of the world would be copying it, lol:D

Whats that saying? "Better the devil you know...."

Bridgette:)

My husband works at a hosptial where employees can choose between two tiers of coverage. There's a difference of $40 per paycheck between the two.

When I had replacement, I had BC/BS coverage and was also covered under my husband's insurance. If I remember correctly, I believe my AVR cost me $112 out of pocket.

Bottom line, move to SE Missouri if you want something different.;):)

Dang. Any ski hills down there?

I'm ticked off that my choices are so limited here. I would go for that if it was offered. Now I know why my employer was so confused when I asked them for that exact type of plan, and they looked at me like a deer in the headlights. Keeping me away from what I want is a PITA that's for sure!

Dang. Any ski hills down there?

I'm ticked off that my choices are so limited here. I would go for that if it was offered. Now I know why my employer was so confused when I asked them for that exact type of plan, and they looked at me like a deer in the headlights. Keeping me away from what I want is a PITA that's for sure!

Well . . . I've jumped ramps water skiing! Does that count?;):p

Another benefit they offer, and this is a big one, is if you use the hospital for a service, after insurance pays their portion, the hospital discounts our bill 50%. It's a win-win situation for both employer and employee.

Well . . . I've jumped ramps water skiing! Does that count?;):p

Another benefit they offer, and this is a big one, is if you use the hospital for a service, after insurance pays their portion, the hospital discounts our bill 50%. It's a win-win situation for both employer and employee.

When I worked in hospitals if I used them there was no charge, even after insurance.

When I worked in hospitals if I used them there was no charge, even after insurance.

You were lucky! :)That's never been the case in our situation. As a matter of fact, our oldest son was born in the St. Louis hospital where Bob worked, and before I was discharged, we had to pay the expected balance on the bill--$500. That was alot of money for us back in 1978.

You were lucky! :)That's never been the case in our situation. As a matter of fact, our oldest son was born in the St. Louis hospital where Bob worked, and before I was discharged, we had to pay the expected balance on the bill--$500. That was alot of money for us back in 1978.

See Maybe YOU should move to the Phila area lol, both hospitals I worked at had the same policy (Oh and not that I ever needed it, BUT the catholic hospital had a policy if you had 10 kids there the rest were free lol)

kfay as you rightly said it was only YOUR personel opinion, which i replied with MY personnel opinion ,theres nothing wrong with sticking up for your health service esp when its saved your life ,we can all find holes in any health service,i think most people on here would agree with that,am sure the usa has got great hospitals surgeons etc just like we have and long may it be so,

Latest posts

Back