did you need blood?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told I probably wouldn't need any and that I was too sick pre-op to donate for myself. Post op 1 day I wasn't perking up and was too anemic so they gave me either 1 or 2 pints, I'm not certain which. I felt *so* much better after that.

Ruth

My surgeon told me about 20% of his cases needed blood. I did not but I was given an iron prescription when I left the hospital that I took for 14 days post hospital visit. Prayers for an uneventful successful surgery. - Jim

I predonated and ended up not needing it. My surgeon was of the opinion that too many surgeons press their patients into donating as much as possible for themselves and then they end up needing it because of how much their levels have been lowered.

When I inquired about pre-donating my own blood prior to my AVR several years ago, I was *strongly* discouraged from doing so with assurances that the Blood Supply was MUCH safer than in years past due to more extensive testing, YADA YADA YADA. Apparently there is also a COST involved too, even for your OWN blood. I'm not sure I fully understand this.

As it turned out, I was fairly anemic post-op but just above the level where transfusion was recommended. I was sent home with Iron Pills instead.

I vaguely recall a post discussing this topic where one surgeon told his patient that the heart-lung machine does damage blood cells and by auto-donating before surgery, your own undamaged blood could be readministered after surgery. I've not seen any other such discussions. It seems like a reasonable idea to me. I wonder why it is not recommended more often.

'AL Capshaw'

I got 2 whole units and 1 unit of platelets after surgery....they spent a long time in there. But remember, I was in really carpy shape going in! Class IV CHF with my Mitral valve "blowing in the breeze" as my cardiologist put it.

I received 2 units about 6 days post-op. At first I didn't want it and checked with a friend who is an RN. She said, "Get it, they don't offer blood unless you really need it" I felt much better afterward and was sent home the next day.

None here

None here

I didn't receive any blood following surgery. I have my first echo tomorrow since my AVR, so I am a little anxious to hear how things are working!
Feeling great!.
You will be in my thoughts tomorrow, as are the others scheduled for surgery this week.
May God Bless
:)

All 3 bags (units) were used

All 3 bags (units) were used

At the request of my surgeon I banked 3 units of my own blood (autologous donation). This wasn't long after the tainted blood scandal made the news. So I was very lucky I was able to use my own at least that's what the hospital told me. The first donation was almost lost because of several surgery postponements.

I also banked my own blood for a surgery 2 years ago so I presume it's common to do so in Ontario.

Latest posts

Back