Degrees opened - mech valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks1490

Hi,

I recall seeing someone provide this information in the past but I can't find it with the retooled site. I've seen people mention the importance of how far a mech valve will open up - e.g., 90 degrees, 70 degrees etc., and its importance to things just as platelet count. Does anyone know to what degrees the leading brands open - e.g., St. Jude's (is Regent the latest/greatest model), ATS, On-X, etc.

Thanks very much.

Hi,

I recall seeing someone provide this information in the past but I can't find it with the retooled site. I've seen people mention the importance of how far a mech valve will open up - e.g., 90 degrees, 70 degrees etc., and its importance to things just as platelet count. Does anyone know to what degrees the leading brands open - e.g., St. Jude's (is Regent the latest/greatest model), ATS, On-X, etc.

Thanks very much.

Valves that open less than 90 degrees create turbulence in the out-flow.
Turbulence can create eddy currents which may allow Clots to form in circulating blood.

The only Valves that I am aware of that open fully to 90 degrees are the ones made by On-X.

Not long ago, I saw some data from someone who was in a position to know, that the ATS Valves were designed to open to 78 degrees (but recent data showed even less).

I am not sure how far the Carbomedics and St. Jude Valves open but expect that data could be found on their websites.
See www.sjm.com for St. Jude. I don't remember the webside address for Carbomedics. Google Search should be able to find it.

'AL C'

Latest posts

Back