Day One at the Gym...Can use feedback and support!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what's your routine like now and when did you start and start at?
Right home from surgery, I started walking a couple of times a day. When I started back to work, after six weeks, I would go for brisk walks, 15-20 minutes, twice a day, on my breaks. After a month or two, I picked up some dumbbells and elastic bands and found Bodbot.com on the web and started strength training, at least three days per week. Into summer, I added in biking 50 miles a week to and/or from work. In September 2013, I joined the Colorado State Employees' Wellness Center (gym) and go there every morning before work, five days a week. I try to get in three days of weights and two of treadmill running, often running 15 minutes or so if I have time after the weights. (I feel the most "energized" throughout the day after 30-45 minutes circuit weight training followed by 15-20 minutes of interval running.) I started with Bodbot training for "lose weight and gain muscle" and switched to "gain muscle" because the routine that it gives me feels right.

I wonder if I should try to do this every day or if that's going to be too aggressive to start...I just came back and even though i promised myself today would be an 'easy' day, I still started to jog at 5mph pace for 2 minutes and the rest between 3.5 and 4.0mph..Heartrate was up to 128...
My first time running the treadmill, I was lucky if I could jog 5 or 6 mph for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Now I can run a 5k in under 30 minutes and sprint along at 10mph+ for short distances.

Clay what dose of Coreg are you on and how as adjusting to it been..I have to go find my old posts to remember my experience...I only remember hating it..haha
I'm on Coreg 6.25mg twice daily and Lisinopril 2.5mg once. The only side effect I get now is the occasional lightheadedness if I stand up quickly from stooping or bending. (Before my surgery, I was on a higher dose of Coreg as well as Spironolactone, and a Lasix now and then when I really felt bad.)

Thats very impressive and good information. I know years ago I was able to do pretty much the same as you are on the treadmill but that was really a while..I think over ten years..not sure if I tried doing that since the first MV repair in 2003..I know I haven't since the second repair in 2011.

As said in some of the previous posts, i think a big part for me is a mental decision but for now as I said when I started the thread, I want a couple of weeks of not pushing it as I don't want to get so tired that I will be knocked out for a few days...I didn't go this weekend but will tomorrow..

I'll wait a couple of weeks at the 6.25 2x a day and working out before asking my doctor if I should increase it...the purpose of taking it now is to help remodel the recently severe size of the LA..

It's only been about 4 days on the Coreg..resting HR is about 10 bpm reduced..and I def am really tired from it..Did you have this same feeling when you started?

Hi All,

Here I am posting almost 6 months later..

As I feared I wasn't able to get the momentum I had hoped and I was actually embarrassed to post here..

I had been struggling with the circus of trying to get my medication and treatment on the right track and in spite of two of the 'best' cardiologists in New York City, I finally am on a good track. I say that literally!

Anyway, just had a recent Echo and see good improvement in the reduction of the left ventricle and atrium..This in spite of my doctor prescribing stupid low doses of the meds and scheduling tests too far into the future. Maddening!!!

But I cracked the whip after she admitted the tech who did the Echo was new and may not have gotten it right...I am so well read on these medications and my condition that I wrote the doctor a letter and a detailed plan on what i thought and asked if she agreed and if not, why not?

She called back and agreed and now i am on 12.5 Coreg 2x a day and 320 Diovan 1x a day...Hate the Coreg but I know it's the right medicine. I will get another echo in 3 months and expect my heart to finally return to where it was 1 1/2 years ago..then I will start a careful taper and further Echo's...But for now I have to suffer through with the Coreg which is great but at this dose is hard for me to tolerate.

ANYWAY....on topic..I didn't want to post here until I finally dragged my lazy self to the gym and today I did just that and hired a personal trainer for the first time in a long time!

I hope this kicks off the beginning of the 'habit' I've talked about needing!

Wish me luck..I need it!

Good luck!

THank you!

I walked into the gym and didn't plan on a real hard workout....I also didn't plan on a personal trainer..but this guy was amazing and super cool and worked out with me for an hour no charge...and I got a really amazing workout I would never have gotten alone...So I am committed to this and the gym is literally downstairs in my building...and....as crazy as this sounds...I managed to get a free membership as a tenant here. a savings of at least $100 a month!

The guilt is driving me crazy..so I just have to go! haha

what a workout...should be interesting to see how i recover..going back Friday and have to keep it slow and steady!

Hey good luck and I want to add that my sleep pattern had altered over the years.
I didn't realize I was very effected by it! So if you have an non standard pattern,
A sleep clinic neurologist is very helpful. It sure helped me!

Hey good luck and I want to add that my sleep pattern had altered over the years.
I didn't realize I was very effected by it! So if you have an non standard pattern,
A sleep clinic neurologist is very helpful. It sure helped me!

I appreciate you having read through this thread and posting about my sleep pattern.

I don't know how non standard my sleep pattern is other than me being a nightowl who doesn't have to get up early most of the time!

But I do think it would be better for me in all ways to alter that schedule a little bit, especially in the Fall and Winter months!

Today was workout #2 with the trainer and again it was hard to get into the gym but the workout was incredible and I am committed to giving this a good shot to 'stick'...hard to envision it but I'm taking it one week at a time...I do know if I do stick with it that I will see results fast and that probably will make it easier to be motivated!

Back