Day One at the Gym...Can use feedback and support!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FixedAgain

Well, I could write a book but the short story is finally I know I don't have a choice to get my lazy couch potato self to the gym.

I'm 56, 5 11, 172lbs and have had MV repair 2x..last time was October 2011 and have had some really stupid self made problems and bad cardiologist...and as a result, my Left Atrium is Severely enlarged but only has been for a few months..The MV is holding up well and the ejection fraction finally has gone up from 35% to 51% without medications (figured that one out on my own) and we now expect it to go even higher with meds and exercize.

The new cardiologist prescribed 6.25 Coreg 2x a day and 80mg of Diovan. I've been on these meds before and no issue with the Diovan but the Coreg even in 2 days has reduced my resting heart rate and I feel it on the treadmill as well...Can't wait to get adapted to it, I was on 2x that amount in the past and I think I did adapt.

I've been walking on the streets more and more for the last 4 weeks and finally got to the gym. It couldn't be easier..The gym is in my building and somehow I got a free membership...God has spoken and it was supposed to be 50% off but for reasons I am not sure of it's no charge..so the guilt has really been bad not going!

I was ready today and heres what I did and I can use feedback and suggestions on my plan.

For the first two weeks, I am not concerned with anything other than getting 30 minutes of cardio in and some light stretching..I'll start the other stuff after I can prove I can go consistently.

I'm my own worst enemy and had to force myself not to push too hard and then be wiped out tomorrow..as I really want to most days.

I did 35 minutes on the treadmill, zero incline and did a little over 2 miles..I walked between 3.5 and 4.0mph with one jog for 1.5 minutes at 5.0mph.

I had trouble at first getting heart rate high enough..but I was mostly around 110-115bpm..after the short jog, heart rate was 128bpm.

I am going to look for a heart rate monitor to keep track.

I never use any other machines for cardio but i was thinking to mix it up and use the bike for 10 minutes, treadmill ten minutes and elliptical 10 minutes..Or maybe just two machines to start.

I drank a liter of water..I get really bored as most do and texted people for a bit for encouragement.

I'd like to find an app that might be good for keeping track..

Any thoughts suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.

I sort of feel i should get aerobic exercise almost every day but want to be realistic and I am tired of not ever being able to develope a habit of working out that lasts.

This is great! It sounds like what you need the most is ways to not be bored or stay motivated. I am not a "natural exerciser" but I have been pretty darn active (exercising 5-7 days a week) for the last three years so I have made the change to being consistent. Here are some things I like to do:

--Walk outside (weather permitting) and call people on the phone.
--Get a workout buddy even for a day a week, helps a lot. Several buddies if possible so you have variety to talk to. With treadmills, they can be a totally different fitness level (mine can run a marathon at a faster pace than I can sprint). Those diehards are great for getting you to the gym because they always go.
--Pedometer or fitbit can be motivating. If you want a recommendation for a cheap and ACCURATE pedometer, Omron HJ-321. I also enter my steps into an app called Pedometer Tracker (PT) for motivation over time and to keep track of how I am doing and my millions of steps I have now.
--Apps! I am really enjoying this one called "Zombies, Run!" It's like a radio show / video game that lasts 30 minutes where you are surviving a zombie apocalypse. You hear a snippet of story, then it plays a song from your playlist, then another snippet. You automatically "collect" supplies as you run or walk (longer you go the more your receive) which you use to improve your base's defenses and morale. If you want a challenge or to be forced to run a bit, you can enable random zombie chases where you must pick up your pace by 20% for 1 minute (only 2-4 of these). It really makes the time fly by and encourages me to want to work out the next day to see what happens and to get more supplies to fix up my base.
--Geocaching. This is hiking/treasure hunting (www.geocaching.com). Very fun and I get a ton of walking in.
--Classes? Can provide more interest than just treadmill.
--Motivation. Brainwash yourself! I get daily free emails from No Excuses Workouts. Also do weight watchers . . . good to have that message all the time, to be healthy and stay consistent.

Hope one of these has something for you.

Mixing it up is a good idea. Find what you like, lots of good suggestions above. Listening to music makes indoor aerobic exercise much, much easier for me. I've also started hiking which is more interesting than a treadmill and great exercise.

Having a heart rate monitor has been very useful. I have a Sportline Duo which can be used with a chest belt for real time continuous heart rate monitoring, or without the belt it can manually check heart rate. It also has a pedometer and a number of other watch and timing functions.

Urgh not the dreadmill . . . my coach gives me dreadmill workouts once a week but they are so freakin' hard it's impossible to get bored. If you have to do it (as opposed to walking outside), mix up the speeds - 2-3min at a time, throw in a 3min segment of incline, anything to give you some variety.

I also suggest finding a race or an event to train for, as then you have a reason to get into the gym. However, gym just might not do it for you - they don't do it for the majority of people which is why gyms insist everyone signs up for a year! If everyone actually turned up, they would break the fire regulations for number of people in the building. :) So don't beat yourself up if you hate the gym. just go do something outside instead.

I forgot to subscribe to my own thread and forgot I made it till now! Great posts and very appreciated...Let's see....

This is great! It sounds like what you need the most is ways to not be bored or stay motivated. I am not a "natural exerciser" but I have been pretty darn active (exercising 5-7 days a week) for the last three years so I have made the change to being consistent. Here are some things I like to do:

--Walk outside (weather permitting) and call people on the phone.
--Get a workout buddy even for a day a week, helps a lot. Several buddies if possible so you have variety to talk to. With treadmills, they can be a totally different fitness level (mine can run a marathon at a faster pace than I can sprint). Those diehards are great for getting you to the gym because they always go.
--Pedometer or fitbit can be motivating. If you want a recommendation for a cheap and ACCURATE pedometer, Omron HJ-321. I also enter my steps into an app called Pedometer Tracker (PT) for motivation over time and to keep track of how I am doing and my millions of steps I have now.
--Apps! I am really enjoying this one called "Zombies, Run!" It's like a radio show / video game that lasts 30 minutes where you are surviving a zombie apocalypse. You hear a snippet of story, then it plays a song from your playlist, then another snippet. You automatically "collect" supplies as you run or walk (longer you go the more your receive) which you use to improve your base's defenses and morale. If you want a challenge or to be forced to run a bit, you can enable random zombie chases where you must pick up your pace by 20% for 1 minute (only 2-4 of these). It really makes the time fly by and encourages me to want to work out the next day to see what happens and to get more supplies to fix up my base.
--Geocaching. This is hiking/treasure hunting (www.geocaching.com). Very fun and I get a ton of walking in.
--Motivation. Brainwash yourself! I get daily free emails from No Excuses Workouts. Also do weight watchers . . . good to have that message all the time, to be healthy and stay consistent.

Wow..great suggestions!

I live in the heart of NYC and it's easy to walk around and not be bored but it's also crowded where I am and hard for me to walk at the same pace as the treadmill but it's great for mixing it up!

I tried the Fitbit and the Pulse and found the Pulse more accurate but lost it...I also use Pedometer which is an app but compared the steps taken to the treadmill, speed and distance and it was so far off I couldn't believe it. I am sure the treadmill is the accurate one..I don't think (or maybe you know) if the Fitbit is accurate compared to the treadmill.

I do go for walks and use the phone but these days with texts I have fewer people I want to talk to! I did get a call while on the treadmill but I felt it was rude, even if I was quiet to talk on it at the gym. It would annoy me if anyone else did it.

I will check out those apps! and motivation website...right now I want to do this all alone..Long ago I was able to go to the gym 3-4 days a week but always fell off the wagon after a few months...To be honest I have trouble imagining sticking with it..But I don't feel it's a choice anymore. There's just so much positive benefit, I just have to find a way to as you said, "brainwash myself". Last year I was the least active in my life..I had heart issues and also some lingering low level depression or something (nothing major) but whatever it was, I was in couch potato land...My back is also demanding me to get up and out..

I have always been a naturally energetic person...I look like I work out..what a joke though as my energy level is nowhere near where it should be or was...My sleeping habits are crazy...4am to 12pm..

New Years Resolution time and I am commiting to excercise and getting to 2am -10am eventually...

Mixing it up is a good idea. Find what you like, lots of good suggestions above. Listening to music makes indoor aerobic exercise much, much easier for me. I've also started hiking which is more interesting than a treadmill and great exercise.

Having a heart rate monitor has been very useful. I have a Sportline Duo which can be used with a chest belt for real time continuous heart rate monitoring, or without the belt it can manually check heart rate. It also has a pedometer and a number of other watch and timing functions.

I think a heart rate monitor is a good idea...would be nice if it uploaded into an app too..and I do want an accuratre pedometer..as said, the apps and the activity trackers are way off in accuracy...Time to make new playlists too!

Urgh not the dreadmill . . . my coach gives me dreadmill workouts once a week but they are so freakin' hard it's impossible to get bored. If you have to do it (as opposed to walking outside), mix up the speeds - 2-3min at a time, throw in a 3min segment of incline, anything to give you some variety.

I also suggest finding a race or an event to train for, as then you have a reason to get into the gym. However, gym just might not do it for you - they don't do it for the majority of people which is why gyms insist everyone signs up for a year! If everyone actually turned up, they would break the fire regulations for number of people in the building. :) So don't beat yourself up if you hate the gym. just go do something outside instead.

This made me laugh...train for an event! haha... I can't imagine me being able to run for any length of time..I hope I am wrong...But it's been years since I ran...I did actually ask my cardiologist if I can run and she said of course i can..That's how bad my mindset is..all this recovery and setbacks from the surgery..I have terribly thick blood and super high Hematocrit levels that made me exhausted...my first cardiologist missed it and gave me tons of meds..long story short the last two years have been really hard as a result.

The idea of being able to run even at a 12 minute pace for 30 minutes would be great..If I could do that at the gym and even a little faster,,,maybe I would have the nerve to do an event but that's aways off!

baby steps!

Going to go tomorrow..going to google how to brainwash myself!

Which one do you have? I see a few on Amazon....thanks for the suggestion

OK! Ordered the Omron HJ-321..I had been looking for a replacement for the Pulse I lost and this is cheap and I don't thnk I need an activity tracker so much as they just didn't seem accurate..

Just bought the Zombie app! I never thought of exercise apps...I see other people on the treadmills running and walking like hamsters but if I am not distracting myself I can't handle it yet..maybe I never will but I am going to try a different machine tomorrow and then try to mix it up in the next few days.

Planning a solo vacation in a week or so and one of the goals is to work out every day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyFqZtKvya0

wow...this sounds amazing!

Hey FixedAgain you don't have to RUN an entire running race! I've only recently managed to figure out how to run for 30 minutes nonstop, before that I was running about 1-2km then walking 100-200m. It doesn't matter.

So that excuse for not signing up for an event is out the window . . . ;-)

BTW I have a Garmin GPS (310XT) with heart rate monitor which uploads to my computer and then onto Garmin worldwide. Here's an example of the data it will give you:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/427923176

You can see how incredibly motivating that can be, if you do the same run/ride more than once you can watch yourself improve. I can barely walk to the shops now without my GPS :)

Hey FixedAgain you don't have to RUN an entire running race! I've only recently managed to figure out how to run for 30 minutes nonstop, before that I was running about 1-2km then walking 100-200m. It doesn't matter.

So that excuse for not signing up for an event is out the window . . . ;-)

BTW I have a Garmin GPS (310XT) with heart rate monitor which uploads to my computer and then onto Garmin worldwide. Here's an example of the data it will give you:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/427923176

You can see how incredibly motivating that can be, if you do the same run/ride more than once you can watch yourself improve. I can barely walk to the shops now without my GPS :)

Haha...Didn't take you long to see through my excuse!

Ok, I won't throw out the idea of training for some event eventually or someday...and that's not an excuse I promise..But I want to complete 2 weeks proving I can go to the gym or at least do the same activity level most days of the week...

I just looked at your profile and can see you are athletic and mountain bike..how long did it take to be able to run 30 minutes and what was your condition before that..I'm trying to remember the last time I was able to do that..and I have really put it out of my head and figured I'd just not do it and now...I think it's a great goal...even if i hate it..haha

Taking a look at the Garmin now!

I had my first OHS in 2010 and second in 2011 and couldn't run more than 1-2km straight until very recently (and wasn't allowed to run at all before surgery). I was really frustrated with it b/c I'm built like a long distance runner (5'8" and 125lbs, all leg) so I acquired a coach who works with some of the best Aussie triathletes and he and I are bashing our way through my mental barriers.

It was about a month ago that he assigned me a 30min nonstop run and said to slow down if I felt like I was running out of breath - so I purposefully slowed down right from the start.

I was able to do the 30min, although not terribly happily but that was more due to my little stick-legs not having the energy. Turns out that I could run all along, the trouble was inside my head! My goal this year is a half marathon in August and a four-day stage mountain bike ride in October. My cardio isn't thrilled about MTB but I am :)

Wow...very impressive..What distance did you do in 30 minutes? Very interesting how you felt it was all inside your head as now I am starting to realize to a large extent that's been true for me but in my case..up until pretty much right now, it would have been dangerous and pointless to try as said my blood was thick and messing up my Ejection Fraction..It was 51% before surgery and dropped on each echo 45%, 40%, 35% before I finally figured out what was causing it, no thanks to my cardiologist believe it or not..But now its back to 51% and with the meds and exercise i bet it gets better...I really would love to get past that mental block and run for 30 minutes...New goal!

It's very helpful and inspiring to read your story!

I look forward to someday be outside running with my headphones on playing Zombie games!

Monday I was assigned 35 minutes steady run - which was 5.48km. Not fast by any means, but for the first four decades of my life I wasn't allowed to run at all so my legs have lots to learn! However it seems that convincing my brain to stop screaming QUIT RUNNING NOW OR YOU WILL DIE is actually the toughest part.

But I firmly believe that I am now fixed and should be able to do whatever I want - surgeon and cardio agree (in general terms heheheh).

As for running while playing zombie games . . . don't trip and fall! :)

Really? You were told you couldn't run as a kid, because you had bicuspid? As someone who only found out as an adult, I find that really disturbing.

If you are on a beta blocker, like Coreg, measuring heart rate is not very useful unless you have been evaluated with a stress test to ascertain what your heart rate should be. My doctor basically told me that anything goes and I use a simplified version of the old "perceived exertion scale" to regulate my cardio workouts (working too hard to sing a song, but still able to hold a conversation). I'm new to the gym/weightlifting thing, so I depend on "Bodbot" (awesome online service and smartphone app) to act as my virtual trainer.

If you are on a beta blocker, like Coreg, measuring heart rate is not very useful unless you have been evaluated with a stress test to ascertain what your heart rate should be. My doctor basically told me that anything goes and I use a simplified version of the old "perceived exertion scale" to regulate my cardio workouts (working too hard to sing a song, but still able to hold a conversation). I'm new to the gym/weightlifting thing, so I depend on "Bodbot" (awesome online service and smartphone app) to act as my virtual trainer.

This is true as I was on Coreg a year ago, not knowing at the time what was causing the low EF..but here I am again only this time I do need it..

Back then my old cardiologist mistakenly thought the reason for the low EF was just normal recovery from OHS..His thesis though is interesting in how he prescribed the dosage. He wanted me to get to the max level to help the heart resize..and I got to 18mg and any higher I could not tolerate.

And now, for different reasons and as a result of his missing the cause of the low EF..the Left Atrial is severely enlarged. The new doctor believe this will return to close to normal or at leas to Moderate..

But she at first told me to start at 3.125 mg..and I asked her to go higher..she agreed to 6.25 2x a day...In a couple of weeks, I hope i adjust to it but wonder if I might be even better suited to go even higher to give the heart the best chance to remodel.

It's good to be reminded to really not follow the traditional heart rates while on this medication.

One big motivation to exercise now is that I am very optimistic that things will be better on the next echo..

Almost time to go to the gym!

downloading bodbot now!

what's your routine like now and when did you start and start at?

I wonder if I should try to do this every day or if that's going to be too aggressive to start...I just came back and even though i promised myself today would be an 'easy' day, I still started to jog at 5mph pace for 2 minutes and the rest between 3.5 and 4.0mph..Heartrate was up to 128...

Split the workout between the treadmill and the bike..which i didn't love as much as i thought i would...and next time I'll try the elliptical and next week maybe learn this rowing thing they have.

I'm starting to think of doing shorter aerobic workouts and then adding machines 2-4 for upper and 2-4 for lower...

I really have to program myself to do this really slowly, even if I can do more I just don;'t yet want to knock myself out..Only because this is all really preliminary to working out.

I tried the Zombie game but have to play with that some more...all it did was tell me the story then would go silent and then tell me i collected various things...priobably have to set it to work with music..

I'm going to look for some other apps too.

pretty wiped out now..more than I expected...

Clay what dose of Coreg are you on and how as adjusting to it been..I have to go find my old posts to remember my experience...I only remember hating it..haha

Yeah, for Zombies, when you go to start a mission, there's a link that says "music." Go there and you can select any playlist on your phone. I made one just for running (3 min each upbeat songs) since I now usually run during songs and walk/recover during the stories. I'm not running through "American Pie" or "Proud Mary," thank you very much. ; )

It sounds like you feel like you need more structure and guidance for how to work out. Maybe to start slow, you could just have a daily steps goal for now. Your workout can add to whatever steps you get just living in the city which I imagine is considerable. See what your daily baseline is and add a couple thousand steps. Alternate easy days and hard days and stick to it! (What, you can't be lazy?) Then if that feels good, maybe you might enjoy a "Couch to 5K" app that gently guides you into running. They gradually add running to the workout and cue you when to walk and run. That is what I used. I tailored it by doing it as "walk fast/walk slow" the first time through the eight week cycle, and then repeating it with running. As I added running I had to repeat a lot of the days -- I don't know if it's my heart if or I am a wussy, but I hit some walls during that that took me longer than the program said. I just ran for the full 5K in a race on Jan 1 and that was 3 years after I started running. Keeping enough energy to work out the next time and not triggering an adverse emotional reaction is really important, I think. I'm playing a long game.

It works though, I have run that 5K, done a sprint triathlon and walked a marathon. I was NEVER athletic as a kid or young adult and even now, people leave me in the dust, but I am really proud of what I have done to just be as healthy as I can for when they cut me open.

Keep going & keep us posted!!

One more "brainwashing" suggestion, either as a subscription or on the internet, Experience Life is the best magazine for motivation and fitness and wellness in my opinion. Variety of articles on exercise, nutrition, mental health, sleep, motivation, etc., dude-friendly and sturdy-girl friendly (NO fashion or makeup advice). I always get something out of it.

Latest posts

Back