Day 6 Post-Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, I completely missed this post. Do get better. This is pretty scary that infection can come back this far away from surgery after you kicked its butt the heck out of there. What do you think the plan is, just the soak treatment or go get more specially created creams?

Unfortunately I don't think it ever went away. They said that the healed tissue was very weak. Doing the soak this week and then back to the custom anti biotic topical for a few more weeks.

How are you feeling?

Hi Lyn, thanks for the response. They did not re-culture since I had the topical AB on it when I came back in. I think they might after this week of Dakins. The infection is MSSA staph so the custom topical the lab made will hopefully continue to work. I'm hoping to see some results from the Dakins (I did a Dakins treatment 6 or 7 weeks ago that showed results). Fingers crossed. Iam ready for this thing to go away already.

Thanks again for sharing your expirences.

Jeff

When you first had the infection, did they do any testing beside swabbing the wound to see if it was deeper too? MRI, CT or even debrise it and clean out the infected tissue?
I'm guessing you were also on oral antibiotics for weeks since i dont remember you mentioning IV or a Picline. Did they do any blood work recently blood cultures or even a CBC -Complete blood count to see if your white cells were elevated, that could give an idea if the infection was still growing or if it was just taking longer for the wound to heal and not active infection.

When you first had the infection, did they do any testing beside swabbing the wound to see if it was deeper too? MRI, CT or even debrise it and clean out the infected tissue?
I'm guessing you were also on oral antibiotics for weeks since i dont remember you mentioning IV or a Picline. Did they do any blood work recently blood cultures or even a CBC -Complete blood count to see if your white cells were elevated, that could give an idea if the infection was still growing or if it was just taking longer for the wound to heal and not active infection.

Lyn, Early on when this started they did do blood work, but not recently. I was on oral ABs for a few weeks and then I received the topical. They have not looked deeper. Maybe that is a route that I need to take? I may have to go back to Hopkins and see what they say (although they have been following the progress).

Lyn, Early on when this started they did do blood work, but not recently. I was on oral ABs for a few weeks and then I received the topical. They have not looked deeper. Maybe that is a route that I need to take? I may have to go back to Hopkins and see what they say (although they have been following the progress).

How are things looking? I hope this last blip was the end of you infection and you can get on to enjoying your new improved life, with the pretty spring wather

How are things looking? I hope this last blip was the end of you infection and you can get on to enjoying your new improved life, with the pretty spring wather

Lyn~Things are looking better. Started back on the topical AB, cleaning, reapplying, and dressing every 3 days. The wound is closing back up. I would like to do another Dakins Soak (have had great results with that), I go to the Wound Care Center Thursday so I'll see what they say. I really want this thing to be fully healed already.

Thanks for checking in.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back