Day 3, doing all right

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, probably a bump. Still sucks. This afternoon I got an unusually painful heparin shot. Along with everything else going on, it made me cry. Between the two, I popped back into sinus rhythm. They still put in the PIC line and gave me amiodorone via IV. That was okay. Tonight they're going to start me on the pills, which I'll have to take at least until I see my cardio in early July. The metoprolol is still a problem. The half dose made me just as sick as the 1x daily dose. Hoping they'll try a different beta blocker tomorrow. They want to keep monitoring me; the nurse guessed I would get out Saturday morning.

Yeah, probably a bump. Still sucks. This afternoon I got an unusually painful heparin shot. Along with everything else going on, it made me cry. Between the two, I popped back into sinus rhythm. They still put in the PIC line and gave me amiodorone via IV. That was okay. Tonight they're going to start me on the pills, which I'll have to take at least until I see my cardio in early July. The metoprolol is still a problem. The half dose made me just as sick as the 1x daily dose. Hoping they'll try a different beta blocker tomorrow. They want to keep monitoring me; the nurse guessed I would get out Saturday morning.

Yay for sinus rhythm. Sorry you have you go through painful stuff. I hope you can get some rest. Hopefully all gets resolved before your flight back. Is the Metoprolol causing a drop in BP, or you are having some other reaction to it?

Hugs!

Michele:
Glad to hear you were able to go with the repair option. Now you know first hand how great of a surgeon Dr. Bavaria is.
The care at HUP is fabulous!!!!! Continue on the path to full recovery...life will return to complete normalcy before you know it!
Dr. Bavaria told me no need for formal cardiac rehab...he said .....walk...walk...walk..within about a month I was up to 4-1 mile walks per day!!!!:thumbup:

Last edited:
Hope today goes better than yesterday. That's what I plan on doing for my rehab. Already been walking at least 3 miles a day along with better diet. As a side note I was wondering if anyone out here knows how long it takes for statins to stop having their effects on cholesterol levels.

The staff here is great, but I have to say, going from the ED to the heart floor is like moving from Motel 6 to the Ritz. ;)

I've stayed in sinus rhythm and if it continues, I can leave tomorrow morning. With a new (temporary) Rx for Amiodarone. So far that doesn't seem to bother me. Yay.

Thanks for the encouragement! I took two walks this morning before having to take my Metoprolol. Felt good.

As nice as what is? The "Ritz"? That was just a comparison. I'm anxious to get the heck out of here. The mid-day Amiodarone kicked my ass and my arms feel like lead. These meds take all of my momentum away. I have to lay around for hours after taking them. Hopefully it won't be for very long.

Dr. Bavaria dropped in to say hi once when I was still in the ICU, but I haven't seen him other than that. The doc who stopped by the ER to see him consulted with him. I think once the echo confirmed my problem wasn't surgical/anatomical, he left it for the regular heart people to sort me out. Still have an appt at his office on Monday.

Ya I was referring to the ritz comment. Bad humor attempt. I imagine it has something to do with the surgery if you didn't have these problems before. Maybe there's no problems with the surgery or surgical solution and it's just temporary issues that can occur.

They said 30% of heart surgery patients have an a-fib issue. Usually temporary, and I would guess usually sooner after the old "slice and dice." My sincere sympathies to anyone with longer term a-fib.

Hope you stay in sinus rhythm and that was your only experience with Afib. Bummer about being on Amiodarone. I guess you have to endure it for a few weeks. Hope you get out tomorrow. Warm day here today.

That's great to hear. Glad I'm not the only one having a good day. Went on a nice 10 mile charity bike ride with the family in a beautiful scenic area up above New Hope ,Pa . It's a great ride along the Delaware Canal trail where the mules used to pull the barges sandwiched between the canal and the Delaware River a bit north of where Washington crossed it. Unfortunately the houses come with a too rich for my blood price starting around $800,000 and going up into the millions but hey it's nice to visit
Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing for you from here.

Latest posts

Back