Day 3, doing all right

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm fine with the idea of being on them for awhile after surgery but I was put on them for my aneurysm not because of high blood pressure or other issues. My usual BP is under 120/80 so if my surgeon, Dr Bavaria, says the odds of a future aneurysm are very small after surgery I don't see the need. I have been feeling minor side effects such as feeling tired and a little bummed out, also I think my vision is a tad on the blurry side occasionally. I think this could be because my BP and especially my pulse are a little on the low side. I checked them on my lunch break and my BP was 110/72 and my pulse was 50 and this was right after sitting down. Don't get me wrong I'm not reflexively against medication but if my surgery is a success- fingers crossed- I'd rather avoid it if possible.
Maybe it'll take awhile for your BP to settle down ( river wear) , maybe your heart is used to pumping harder to counteract the leakage. Never heard of the " historic" Macy's but air conditioning is needed today. I'll be sitting outside frying at my son's little league all star game.

I asked one of Dr. Bavaria's fellows about the Metoprolol and he said it might be forever and "it's good for your heart." I am not convinced, but I do know it's pretty standard for at least a few months. My BP and resting HR are definitely higher now. BP used to be about 110/55 and now around 128/80.

A nurse was sent to check on me. Learned something else: you cannot crush the potassium tabs, but it's okay to dissolve it in a little juice to make it easier to swallow. I'm so relieved. They'll have a nurse come back another time or two, and they gave me an off hours number if questions come up.

I'm feeling better now and will probably walk over to see the "historic" Macy's next door for an air conditioned walk later this afternoon.
Oh around here that building is referred to as the Wanamaker building but it was taken over by Macys back in the 90's I think.

Yes, that's what I meant! We went over there and it's really beautiful. Maybe we'll catch one of the organ concerts. I missed seeing the eagle somehow. Next time!

Thanks, Odie. I missed your post yesterday. I managed the potassium fine today by dissolving it in a small amount of apple juice. It doesn't have a flavor so it went right down.

Mornings are rough so far. I need to take pain medication later than 1-2am so I don't wake up so achy. I've been getting up a couple times a night anyway. Lost 3.3lbs of water since yesterday.

Yep. And I don't think there's a taxi in Philly with working AC. Had to catch one to the ER a few hours ago. Still stuck here. Appears to be a lot of PVCs (up to 16/min) and the odd PAC. Dying for food and Tylenol so I hope someone appears soon. No sign of anyone for the last 1.5 hours.

Are they considered normal after heart surgery?I was maybe normal swelling could cause issues like that and hopefully they don't last long

Had an echo. Waiting to hear from ER cardio and surgeon's office whether it's all right. Still a lot of PVCs and I'm very late with my Metoprolol.

Not only will I get the metoprolol, I'll have Amiodarone, dinner and a movie. They're admitting me for observation. Troponin (heart enzyme) is elevated and they aren't sure if it's just because surgery was a week ago today or if some of my heart muscle is being deprived of oxygen. I don't have any "impressive symptoms" so they think it's likely to be the former. They want to be cautious.

I'm back at HUP and Bavaria sent one of his fellows or residents to gather info for him. I'm going back to the unit I left on Monday.

I'm sure it doesn't feel good to be back where you were 2 days ago but hopefully they're just being cautious and you'll be back out soon.

Yeah, now they think they just need to dial in my metoprolol. Today we're going to see how I do on two 25mg doses. Thankfully, the Amiodarone was a false alarm. No a-fib and my heart rhythm has been good. Troponin trending down and no longer a concern.

Not so fast. After an excursion for chest x-rays, I was feeling super sick from the metoprolol and my heart began pounding. They did a quick ECG and... Sustained a-fib. Tried IV metoprolol twice and it didn't work. Waiting for PIC team to put in a mid-line for amiodorone. Doesn't even seem so horrible compared to how I feel.

I am so sorry to hear that, Michele. Thankfully you are already in the hospital and not in the hotel. Hang in there, my friend. I hope you convert quickly.

Latest posts

Back