Date for surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zee112

Found out yesterday that my surgery date will be on the 7th of April, admittance on the 6th. Doesn't leave me with much time.

Out with the old pulmonary conduit, aortic valve and aortic root, and in with the new :).

How did you guys cope/prepare a few weeks before your surgery? Is there anything in particular I should take, along with the obvious essentials to hospital?

Hi zee - I packed a small lockable case with pj's, day clothes, usual medications and other things I had been told to bring. Also packed charger for mobile phone, though hospital don't like you to use their leccy (in case you wreck it) so I would charge my phone at night ;-) I also packed a few provisions but in the event I couldn't eat at all well post surgery so they were left uneaten, but you never know how you will feel. I also packed wet wipes to clean with, and writing paper and pen so I could make notes. I also made sure everything would be okay at home for after discharge so that everything there was organised as far as I could do,. And, very important, I made an advanced appointment to see my GP for a few days after my planned discharge as, at my GP practice it can take ages to get an appointment so best to do one in advance as you will need repeat prescriptions etc and, as well, it's best to keep your GP in the loop in case of problems.

All the best for your surgery ! And for a smooth and speedy recovery ! Keep us posted.

I packed a bag with everything I might want but did not bring it on the day of surgery. Remember you will be in ICU for a couple of days and won't need anything. I had my daughter bring my bag to my room once I was discharged to the regular floor, and we had enough notice for her to be on top of it. I had PJs, my IPad for reading (left my phone at home), change of clothes, toiletries, and that's about it. Do check out the link Zoltania posted. You might see something you've not thought of.

Thank you all for your posts guys, I really appreciate the help :) I've received my admission letter from the hospital for this Wednesday. Surgery will take place in 3 days time, since it's now Monday here in the UK. It feels surreal.

I hope that your surgery will go smoothly and that you will enjoy a speedy recovery. Best wishes!!

Tom

Been observed, chest shaved, met with my surgeon. Surgery will take place at 8:15am uk time tomorrow. I'll post an update one I'm through at the other end!! :)

Been observed, chest shaved, met with my surgeon. Surgery will take place at 8:15am uk time tomorrow. I'll post an update one I'm through at the other end!! :)

In the ward with a sore bum and chest. Valve ticking almost feels like thumping. There was slight complications where I lost more blood than average.

Hi @zee112

welcome to the club!

I recall my first days on the ward and noted that when typing onto my phone my heart beat now rocked me around more.

Its like a new set of tyres, you don't realise how bad the old ones were till you put on new ones

Back