CTA(?) scan prior to aortic valve surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acr

Hi All,

I have been diagnosed as needing my Aortic valve replaced. I've been a little shellshocked to say the least. Turned up at the hospital with a murmur and was expecting to be told to take some pills and go home. So am a little shocked to be needing OHS.

I've had an Echo and Angiogram. Next one is a CTA scan of my Aorta. Just wondering if this is anything to worry about, or is it routine prior to surgery, just so that the surgeon knows what to expect when he/she gets in there. This scan is 2 weeks away so I guess if they'd seen something scary on the Echo or Angio they'd be doing it a lot sooner ?

Ade

Hi Ade and welcome to the forums. What your going through is standard procedure before valve replacement. A CT scan gives the next best picture of things next to a transesophageal echocardiogram. You may have one of those also. Yes, basically it's to gather as much information about what needs to be done once the surgeon gets in there.

Read around as much as you can and use the search function for questions by term. If you can't find an answer, just ask. Most everything has been covered over and over again, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Everyone is shellshocked when their told the need heart surgery. Rest assured, many of us have gone before you and you probably pass a lot of people during your day that you don't even know had surgery themselves.

Hi Ade and welcome. Sorry you had to find us for this reason. Believe me, we are all in shock when we found out. Please ask questions and someone will help. Best of luck to you.

Cheers for the replies all. I'm not at all worried about having the CT, it's just what the CT might show up. I'm 40 and everything else looks ok (so far), though don't want the doc to come back and say my Aorta is shot (no reason to believe it is!). After the initial shock I'm now a bit chilled about it all, I guess I have to hand myself over to the medical world and let it happen, I can't change anything. Still the actual surgery won't be a lot if fun I guess. Not looking forward to it, but I suppose thats natural.

Cheers for the replies all. I'm not at all worried about having the CT, it's just what the CT might show up. I'm 40 and everything else looks ok (so far), though don't want the doc to come back and say my Aorta is shot (no reason to believe it is!). After the initial shock I'm now a bit chilled about it all, I guess I have to hand myself over to the medical world and let it happen, I can't change anything. Still the actual surgery won't be a lot if fun I guess. Not looking forward to it, but I suppose thats natural.

Well if it is, that can be replaced too. We have the technology, we can rebuild you. :D

Exact situiation I was in .Hope you have better luck with CT scan than I did.I now need my ascending aorta replaced along with my aortic valve.Still hoping they don't have to go into the arch!!!Good-Luck!!

Hello Ade,
Welcome to the VR Forum.
The CT scan is routine. I had a bi-cuspid aortic valve but had no problem with my aorta. I read the test results as well as discussing them with my surgeon and cardiologist. So just take the test in stride. No matter what, the doctor's can pretty much fix it all. Keep us posted on your results and read about everything cause knowledge is in fact power.:)

Welcome to the site! The waiting and worrying was definitely the worst for me! Wishing you the best of luck - the CT scan is nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back