CT Scan Results...Aneurysm??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After much net research I noted that 4.5cm is the "Magic number" in combination with a leaking aortic valve and ascending aortic aneurysm. My surgeon agreed.
I am now being booked in to have the valve and aneurysm replaced up to the first artery on the arch.
The reason being, so I am told is that if the aneurysm is not totally removed up to and including the start of the arch there is a risk of another aneurysm forming as you now have.
I have few symtoms now but hey...any dilation is cause for concern....get it rechecked.
I wish you luck with your next appointment and if you are still unsatisfied get another opinion.

Hi,

Hope all goes well with your surgery. Has it been scheduled yet? If you don't mind my asking, will this be your first surgery? I really was amazed at how easily I recovered after mine and I'm sure it'll be a similar story for you.

I've got another cardio appointment scheduled next month and I'm going to argue for a six-month check instead of waiting until next year. My echo was fine - only mild or trivial regurg. Only oddity was a borderline enlargement of the right atrium and right ventricle. Last year it was the left atrium that was borderline enlarged - this year it's normal.

Take care.

Cheers,
Michelle

Donnchadh said:
After much net research I noted that 4.5cm is the "Magic number" in combination with a leaking aortic valve and ascending aortic aneurysm. My surgeon agreed.
I am now being booked in to have the valve and aneurysm replaced up to the first artery on the arch.
The reason being, so I am told is that if the aneurysm is not totally removed up to and including the start of the arch there is a risk of another aneurysm forming as you now have.
I have few symtoms now but hey...any dilation is cause for concern....get it rechecked.
I wish you luck with your next appointment and if you are still unsatisfied get another opinion.

Hi Michelle

I am interested to know how you are getting on, with getting a second opinion. I too have recently been diagnosed with a dilated up to 46cm ascending aorta and a 30 mm brachiocephalic artery. I was born with a biscuspid valve which which was replaced in 1989 and they say those born with a biscuspid valve are more likely have an aneurysm at some stage in their life. As I am from Christchurch, New Zealand, I am having trouble seeking a second opinion especially from someone with experience with the brachiocephalic artery, and have seen a Vascular surgeon who is the top in NZ, but has not done surgery on the brachiocephalic artery. I am keen to see someone who has for a second opinion, even if I have to find some one in Australia. I cannot seem to find a forum for Australia to see if someone there that has this kind of condition, which they say its rare to have it in the brachioecephalic artery. Take care Michelle, and I wish you luck. I have been trying to start a thread for advice form others, butcannot find the link.

Cheers
Carolyn

Michelle,

I agree with Ross on the surgeon. I have been referred to Dr. McCarthy at Northwestern for my ascending aortic enlargement and bicuspid valve replacement. I should be seeing him in a couple of weeks after he reviews my records. I am lucky to live just outside of Chicago. Ross is mad at me because Chicago "hijacked" Dr. McCarthy from the Cleveland Clinic and he wants him back!:)

I was surprised that your cardiologist seemed to lessen the importance of your situation- especially in view of the fact you are in a repeat situation. I would probably walk on that guy because I had been treated that way in a previous surgical situation. I like to feel that my health is important to my physicians.

I previously sent Ross a video link of Dr. McCarthy in action at Northwestern. If you can't find it in my previous post, let me know and I'll look for it again for you.

carolyncox Hi Michelle

I am interested to know how you are getting on, with getting a second opinion. I too have recently been diagnosed with a dilated up to 46cm ascending aorta and a 30 mm brachiocephalic artery

- Pretty much what I'm having replaced soon along with my BAV. You definately want to see a Cardiothoracic Surgeon.
Apparently the one I'm seeing is one of the best in Perth. Western Australia. I know about as far away from you as you can get in Aust.

DavesMom Hi,

Hope all goes well with your surgery. Has it been scheduled yet? If you don't mind my asking, will this be your first surgery?

- I still haven't been scheduled. Been a month and starting to get rather SOB. and sleeping alot during the day and not at night. am ringing again on Monday to recheck. Its my 1st OHS and am trying not to worry :D

DavesMom said:
Morning all,

I have taken the wonderful advice here very seriously and am very grateful for it. I’m going to line up a second opinion and also have a call in to my doctor to talk about BP med. At home it's almost always within normal limits but I know it has to be pretty high while I’m at work.

I also need to ask about exercise – I walk at a moderate pace every day for at least an hour and wonder if that’ll exacerbate it.

Again, thanks to everyone. I’ll keep you posted!

Cheers,
Michelle

When you have a condition that can ONLY be repaired by Surgery, it is best to get the opinion of a SURGEON.

Note that Cardiologists 'detect' problems, Surgeons FIX them. Also note that Surgery of the Aorta, especially the Aortic Arch, is a Highly Complex Surgery that is typically NOT performed by most Heart Surgeons, even most Valve Surgeons.

As others have mentioned, you will want to have a World Class Aortic Surgeon 'lined up' for when the time comes, and let the Surgeon decide when that time is, NOT a Cardiologist.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would call either Dr. McCarthy or Dr. Nicholas Kouchoukos directly, tell the receptionist that you have an aortic aneurism that will need 'fixing', that it will be your 3rd OHS, and that you had your BAV replaced. With that background, that is most likely all the referal you will need to be considered.

Contact information for those surgeons has been posted on VR.com before or you could probably find it through a GOOGLE Search.

Remember the Boy Scout Motto: "Be Prepared"

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back