CT Scan query

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ged1975

I'm having a CT Scan next week and I'm curious as to why a CT Scan is needed?

What information does the CT Scan give? My bicuspid aortic regurg showed up on my echo so what extra info will the CT give?

Gerard

They are probably checking out your aorta as well. If you do a search on here, problems with your aorta can go hand in hand with bav so it is a good thing that they are checking it out before surgery to know what is going on.

Gerard,
Bicuspid Aortic Valve disease is a connective tissue disease that weakens the aortic wall, and combined this with the hemodynamic effects of blood flow caused by bicuspid valve regurgitation (insuffiency), there's a significant increase of pressure against the aortic wall and increased risk of ascending aortic dilatation or aneurysm. Even after valve replacement, some with BAV disease will later develop an aortic aneursym as a result of the weakened connetive tissue. For detailed information, I suggest you click on the link below to read aboub BAV and related aortic aneurysms.

www.bicuspidfoundation.com

A CT scan with contrast will provide a complete view of your aorta and allow an accurate measurement not possible with echocardiogram. Normal diameter size of the ascending aorta is roughly about 2.5 to 3 cm, while BAV patients typically have slightly larger diameter sizes. Above 4.5cm or 5cm, surgery is recommended to prevent rupture or dissection of the aorta.
All my best,
Preston

A CT scan is a good thing to have, especially for those of us with BAV. I've gotten yearly echos since my AVR/aneurysm repair ten years ago and they've always been perfect. However, last year I pushed my cardio to do a CT and it showed something the echo never had - a 4.5 cm ascending aortic aneurysm as well as aneurysms of a couple of other arteries. I would never have known about the little buggers without the CT so I am extremely glad I got one.

It's a fairly easy test, although my cardio's nurse had me drink barium (ugh! ptooey!) prior to the test when I really didn't need to.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Cheers,
Michelle

I had my CT Scan yesterday, I was given a good amount of diazepam which helped my nerves. Really there was nothing to be worried about, just relieved it's over. Now I guess the next step is the surgery.

Good for you...another hurdle crossed! See, you can do it. They have amazing drugs that are just for that purpose. Trust me, the worrying before hand is so much worse.

Kim

Glad the CT is behind you and one less thing to stress about. We all stress with all these tests. It isn't just the test, though in some cases that is quite stress worthy by itself, but it is the worry about the result and what possible action the result will necessitate.
You're doing great! Hang in there.

Latest posts

Back