Coumadin

• Thread starter Patricia Choate
  • Start date
Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a great group this is. I posted because I was so frustrated and upset that I needed to vent or explode. I feel so much better now just knowing that my frequent Coumadin tests and changes in dosage are "NOT" the norm.
Living here in Mission, on the Texas-Mexico border, I am somewhat limited in choices of doctors and labs, however I am going to do some research and see what I can find. I am also going to talk to my current cardiologist and my insurance company...Federal Blue Cross..and will get a Protime machine so I can check my own blood!
Thanks everyone for opening my eyes and making me see that I need to take control of this situation.

Everyone has things they can and cannot control. I'm chained to a medicare HMO and getting another Doctor isn't exactly the best or wisest thing for me to do. I'll try everyone listed if I have too in order to try to get the machine, but they are all in the same hospital and same cardiology practice, so I don't think I'll get very far. :(

Another Echo

Another Echo

Patricia - Just to echo what everyone else is saying - I've been on Coumadin for about 6 months, and I'm applying for my own machine which my cardiologist firmly supports. I go to a family doctor now who uses a Coagcheck and the finger stick and its no big deal. I've picked up several different books on the topic (our own guru Al's included) so a clinic couldn't bumfuddle me if they tried. I also sometimes use a clinic in another city and have developed a personal relationship with the manager. The dosing decision tree chart for doing this is really pretty simple, and once you understand the half life of Coumadin you will be a lot more comfortable. If you have questions, ask away - these guys are good. Chris

Latest posts

Back