Coumadin and Oils

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajc1991

Hey everyone. I've done loads of research on blood thinners since I'm scheduled to have my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical one soon. I had a question regarding oils and Coumadin. I've read online that oils such as canola oil, olive oil etc. can thin the blood, and I was wondering how vigilant I should be about limiting these. Now keep in mind I don't have a lot of oily foods in my diet, but I do like to have a piece of toast with a thin layer of peanut butter sometimes for breakfast. Is peanut butter an issue since it has a lot of oils in it? What about butter? I know there are vegetable and canola oils present. Also there are a lot of oils in bread obviously, is this an issue too? Have you noticed these foods affect your INR? Thanks for the help.

My wife and I cook using canola and olive oil on a regular basis. I enjoy olive oil on salads and eat a lot of peanut butter/crackers as an evening snack. I have never heard of any of these oils, or butter etc., being a problem for those of us on warfarin and I am certain they have had little, if any, effect on my INR. There are no foods I shy away from and only a few that I limit.

Thank you very much for your response Dick. I just read online on several sites that said that those oils can antagonize the blood thinners. But I'm glad to hear you've consumed them on a regular basis without any problems. Thank you.

Hi

the best thing you can do to aid your learning about any topic (medical especially) is stop reading those "online sites". Most of what comes back from a standard google search is rubbish and even copy/pasted from other sites of the same ilk. They are in the main click fests and ad fests. Seriously FOX news is exactly the same business model. (stuff with names like "healthline" "askpatient" and that sort of place is untrustworthy).

If it is not a peer reviewed journal or a society of surgery or a vetted scientific source its about as accurate as the trash magazines on the supermarket checkout ends or the papers that MIB go to for Alien Activity. Of course they appear "on line" too but if its not a journal its likely to be rubbish.

read your own sentence and you'll get a great example of what to look for in words: "that those oils can antagonize the blood thinners"

now, I am willing to bet that the sit you read said more like "that those oils may antagonize the blood thinners"

Note the difference between can and may.

Be very careful with readings if you are going to take any sort of credence in them. That you didn't just look over the screen and say "Mary, look at this rubbish will ya" and posted the question here shows you put some credence in it.

Your best tool in understanding what interacts with your INR (and really INR is what you're interested in) is your coaguchek (or your POC machine of choice) and weekly readings with occasional bi-weekly readings to follow a trend you've observed.

Within a year of doing that you'll be your own expert about your own body's reaction to whatever.

For what its worth on Skiing journys we take oils like Canola or Rapseed and drink about 100ml per day. Its light, requires less mucking around than a "meal" and has plenty of energy. I have yet to test this with my INR but by next ski season in Finland I will be ... I'll let ya know how it goes
3150514548_8147c29255.jpg

:)

PS: you say:
I've done loads of research on blood thinners since
then please stop calling them blood thinners for they most assuredly do not "thin the blood" in any. They are actually anti-coagulants. There are compounds that effect the bloods viscosity but nothing "thins the blood", as that would be fatal.

pardon me, but "blood thinners" is my pet peve.

To provide a more robust answer to your question:

More or less nothing that is food effects the INR unless it is a food rich in Vitamin K . This is because Warfarin is a Vitamin K recycling antagonist. It works to lower your INR by blocking the recycling of VItamin K in the body (reducing the quantitys available). The only thing which will intefere with your INR is:
* something which causes the endocrine system to work faster (something the body regards as toxic and attempts to dispose of it fast) - this will work to knock down your Warfarin residual faster too. Thus some antibiotics and some medicines will lower your INR.

* something which interacts with Warfarin to enhance its activity. There are some food candidates suspect for this such as Grapefruit.

So in general the rule is don't worry about anything food - test your INR weekly to see if there has been anything happen (99% of the time there won't be, but we stop at stop signs and look in the rear vision mirror for the same reasons).

Hope this helps

Thank you very much pellicle. I'm so glad you replied because upon reading your posts I noticed you are quite the anti-coagulant aficionado;)

Hi

ajc1991;n850124 said:
Thank you very much pellicle. I'm so glad you replied because upon reading your posts I noticed you are quite the anti-coagulant aficionado;)

you're welcome ... I was a bit worried my reply was too "terse" but sincerely there was no negative connotation implied in my ascii text. Also, thank you for not using the word expert (as I am most assuredly am not). I really like your choice of "aficionado" ... makes me think more about how I view myself about coffee too.

Forgive the scruffy voice over (I'm not good on the otherside of the camera). I'm normally a short black espresso man, but this video presents my personal favorite "cuppucchino"

[ link ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEndkRtqsRI

I don't see any impact in my INR and I frequently eat peanut butter and we cook with a lot of olive oils. I have never read this an issue. I do recommend getting on home monitoring for INR so you know a little better your levels and food impacts.

I eat too much peanut butter. I also cook with oil and butter. There is no effect on my INR. There is a lot of old information about dietary restrictions and coumadin/warfarin. These are from out dated ideas on anti-coagulation. Now we are told to eat a healthy diet with no restrictions (not even those that contain vitamin K) and all things in moderation, but an occasional binge wont kill ya :)

Routine testing is a better route to a stable INR than trying to control a diet.

ajc1991;n850194 said:
Thank you so much for your responses! What about soy? Does that cause a problem for any of you?

Soy is one product I limit as I have heard that it will affect INR.....but I do not exclude it entirely from my diet. I really do not like the soy taste so it's easy to limit my use of it.

Hi

ajc1991;n850194 said:
Thank you so much for your responses! What about soy? Does that cause a problem for any of you?

I don't know but like Dick don't use it ... again, when you are on warfarin and you have a self tester you can identify if it is a problem for you. Like everything one meal with Soy based cooking wil not blow out your whole week, but basing your diet on drinking Soy may have an effect which you will need to adjust your warfarin dose for.

Like Tom said:
There is a lot of old information about dietary restrictions and coumadin/warfarin. These are from out dated ideas on anti-coagulation. Now we are told to eat a healthy diet with no restrictions (not even those that contain vitamin K) and all things in moderation, but an occasional binge wont kill ya

Routine testing is a better route to a stable INR than trying to control a diet.

Routine testing is really the best way to know your INR and to determine any changes.
I think that your original question about oils may have related the erroneous description of anticoagulants as 'blood thinners' and the actual viscosity of blood. The idea that oils can also thin the viscosity may have been at the heart of your question.

Clearly, digesting oils isn't like pouring them into the lubrication system.

As others have already noted, many things in your diet can cause changes in your INR (foods that are high in Vitamin K, for example), antibiotics can change your INR, and other factors that we may not know much about can also cause changes. Regular testing is what we (most self-testers) do to monitor changes in our INRs. Doctors and clinics are often happy with monthly testing. This is not a good strategy.

As far as soy is concerned -- I can't answer -- I haven't heard much about it, and my personal intake of Soy is minimal (as far as I know).

Latest posts

Back