Coumadin and menstrual cycle

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
me too!

me too!

I am 24 days and still counting. I hope this ends soon! I am soo ready for menopause too!! Let's keep our fingers crossed!! :)

That's really rotten. 23 days! I'm also ready for menopause too. My bleeding is a bit heavy, but the duration is still normal. I looked into Uterine Ablation about 2 years ago, but haven't done anything about it yet. I'm wondering if UFE is similar. They say that having UA either takes away your period all together or you have trace bleeding. Sounds fabulous! The doctor said that UA has drastically reduced the amount of hysterectomies that are performed.

Best wishes. Keep us posted.

Karlynn said:
They say that having UA either takes away your period all together or you have trace bleeding. Sounds fabulous! The doctor said that UA has drastically reduced the amount of hysterectomies that are performed.

That's right Karlynn...
I underwent this procedure about 5yrs ago and am absolutely thrilled with the results. I would say I have a 95% reduction. I learnt about Ablation when I was ready to line up for a Hysterectomy. Much easier, cheaper, less painful and practically no recovery time. The worst bit was a few tummy pains from the gas that they blow you up with (its done endoscopically) which takes around 2 days to leave your body.

This is seriously the best thing I could have done and cant imagine why more women dont take advantage of it. Put simply, ablation just zaps/damages the lining so it doesnt grow anymore and can no longer nourish a baby. Also, you still have your girly hormones so you dont go through menopause until it naturally occurs.

Although they weren't doing it when I had my valve replaced. Today, if I knew I was getting a mechanical valve, and I knew I was done having kids, this would be something I would definitely do before the surgery. Kind of like making sure your teeth are okay.;)

We've had a discussion on whether or not you need to go off Coumadin for it. The doctor I saw said I should really have a D & C at the same time, so would need to do bridging. But he also said that if I didn't need the D & C I wouldn't have had to go off Coumadin for it, because it cauterizes and shouldn't cause any serious bleeding. There have been other people here that have reported that their doctors wanted them bridged. But it's been a while since we've discussed the issue. I'd be curious what the school of thought is now.

My sister had endometrial ablation for excess bleeding, and loves it. She also got the "plug-scarring " type serilization after her twins, and loves that, too.

I got spayed for a huge fibroid, pre-valve, and not knowing what week of the month it is, is WONDERFUL!
But I really agree that the Coumadin doesn't cause the problem. My Dad had A-fib, and the coumadin highlighted cancer in his intestines. So, having had the fibroids with heavy bleeding, and with Dad's experience, KEEP PUSHING those doctors. NO one should bleed for weeks at a time, even on Coumadin.

Seeing this subject come up again has reminded me that I think us girls would benefit from a special "girls only sticky" (possibly in the pre-surgery forum) on this and all such related girly things that would be helpful to be made aware of prior to surgery. Not that we want to exclude the boys but I dont think they are that interested in this subject ;) .

Today I have been bleeding for 34 days, but I think (even though I have said this many times in the past 34 days) that it might actaully be over tomorrow. It's very light, just still there. I have already had to stay over night in the hospital and get 2 units of blood. I almost had an emergency hysterectomy :(

My gyn wants me to get a UFE however, I am thinking a UA would be my first choice because I think it is less invasive and I am concerned about the UFE, mostly because it sounds more complicated and frankly, I need a little break from being in physical pain.

I really like my gyn and I used to be her daughter's teacher so we do have more personal relationship and we are friends. However, I think I am getting to be too complex for her. That being said the on-call Dr. who admitted me to the hospital seemed very comfortable working with me and coumidin. He spent many hours caliing several of my Dr.s and gathering my history before coming in to talk to me about my options. Like when does that ever happen?:)

He also suggested the UA first and hysterectomy. Anyone have thougths on that? Has anyone had a hysterecomy on coumidin and comeout okay? My gyn has not seemed to have "good luck" performing surgeries on coumidin patients and doesn't want to do one on me. I think it's just not her thing and not necessarily representative of complications of hysterocomys on coumidin patients.

P.S. I DO think we need our own forum catagory for this topic. It is a big issue for me and I really appreciate hearing other experiences. :D

Kim,

I had a hysterectomy in 1989 (after being on coumadin for 9 years) but did the hospital bridging thing. Having the hysterectomy was one of the best decisions in my life and I have never regretted it. I did not have my ovaries removed so there was no changes except no more bleeding - Yeah!!!

Just my experience--hope it is helpful

Just my experience--hope it is helpful

Just a year ago I was in absolute misery from "monthly cycles" but had a partial hysterectomy with a LASH procedure and that went very well. What a tremendous relief; the surgery hurt less than the pain I was in most of the time. I had also been having monthly fevers "of unknown origin" so the doctors felt like it was important to correct my issue. I had a bad problem on one ovary which the doctor repaired and I had adenomiosis and not endometriosis--so I'll eventually have a natural menopause.

I am on aspirin therapy and the doctor had me stop that for a couple of days or so pre-op and did a blood test to see how fast I was still bleeding; so I have no information about bridging.

I was also given antibiotics by IV and the procedure is normally an out-patient procedure but the OB/GYN kept me in the hospital overnight for the antibiotics.

One other thing--I thought I had read that IUDs weren't a good idea with faulty or replaced heart valves because of possible infections--does anyone else recall something like that?

[edit - I did a quick web search on IUDs and heart valves and found this item regarding such from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center: http://patienteducation.upmc.com/Pdf/IntrauterineDevice.pdf
Perhaps more research would be beneficial.]

I had my UA done years before my OHS so I cant offer my experience there. I do remember I had to do the antibiotic thing because of my Bicuspid valve. I also recall that the bleeding after the UA was much like a regular period but once that was over it has been fantastic.

The UA was done endoscopically so the only cutting was for the little camera thingy, through the belly button. I reckon you can figure out where the other zapping-instrument went in. It was a day-procedure in hospital, easy-peasy!.

I sure hope you get it all fixed up soon...this must be so tiring, poor girl.

I think the UA is now done through the cervix. At least that's what the "cartoon" looked like.:eek:

My situation was similar to yours. Prolonged periods with heavy bleeding and huge clots. (I remember them asking me which coin they would be most like in size, and I replied "Coin? How about somewhere between a golf ball and baseball?" I rarely stopped bleeding in between, just spotted. I had MVR in June, 1998 and LAVH in September, 2000. I still have ovaries, so I'll still go through menopause (and I still get mood swings, although without a period I'm never sure if it's PMS or if I'm just being a BITCH!) I did the Lovenox bridge and had no problems. The GYN discussed Endometrial Ablation with my Cardio and a Hematologist, but decided that I might still experience prolonged and increased bleeding.

I'm surprised that your doctor hasn't tried a D & C to stop the bleeding. I had two prior to my hysterectomy, both after I had become very anemic. One was in October, 1999 and the other was not long before the surgery.

Anyway, good luck. I don't regret having a hysterectomy and would recommend one to anyone on Coumadin who is experiencing these problems. Men in general, even doctors, don't really understand what we go through. They think it's just a matter of being inconvenienced.

I've had those huge clots too. Very scary when you get enough of them. I had several baseball size ones. Eek!

well, I think they considered it the D&C. At the time I was admitted the on-call Dr. wanted to do an emergency hysterectomy but I'm not sure exactly why we didn't. I think that on-call Dr. didn't want to override my Dr. as they were discussing options. They put me on the pill for now, but as a temporary solution.

A large part of me does just want to go for they hysterectomy, but my gyn is not for it and won't do it. It has been a rough year for mr physically and emotionally (AVR,staph infection, emergency OHS, husband left , divorce, trying to heal, reconstructive surgery, raising my 4 year old, blah,blah blah,) but too bad for me if I need it. I'd rather get it all over with in many ways.

I do have fibroids and the UFE is supposed to fix that. The UFE makes my a little nervous, the UA sounds like the easy way out - especially if it works, otherwise, the hysterectomy it is. I have bridged off my coumidin before for surgery, granted, it was not as deep internally as a hysterectomy, but some people (Dr.s) are having a strong reaction to the thought of it. It seems fine to me. Anyway, I will have to make a descion soon. I'll let you all know... and if anyone else wants to chime in with their experience, I'll be happy to listen. :)

I am reading this thread with interest as I have heavy periods and have to undergo a MVR this year. My heart surgeon recommended a hysterectonomy but when I saw the gyno on Tuesday he said he would try a Merina (IUD) first and then if that didn't work an ablation. So I booked in to have the Merina done only to get a worried phone call from my GP this morning. She had just got the letter from my gyno and said that as far as she knew people with MVR shouldn't have IUD's and insisted I check with my cardiologist before having it done. I have an appointment with my cardio on Wednesday and will let you know what he says. I know some on VR.com have IUD's - anyone had any experiences recently with this???

I have read warnings about IUDs in valve patients. In regard to this subject, I posted a link to a medical site, I guess on a similar thread, fairly recently. I'll try and look for it.

Thanks Susan and Karlynn for your reponses -

Karlynn, the gyno wants to leave the uterine ablation as the second option because apparently it is only effective in 80% of cases (the link you provided said 90% but that 22% had to go on and have a hyster..) and so he wants to try the Merina (IUD) first. However, if my cardio recommends against the IUD I'll definitely be lining up for the ablation - I have a 16 year old daughter - no more children required :D

Aussiemember..do some more reading on the ablation...I highly recommend it...had mine done about 5 years ago and got about a 95% reduction in loss...Its well worth it...feel free to ask more questions if you need.

I had severe bleeding and pain for many years before my hysterectomy (uterus only, tubes left in). My doctor did a look and see a few weeks before and discovered I had endometriosis everywhere even in the lining of the uterus so ablation wouldn't have solved the pain, only the bleeding. I was also not too keen on trying the ablation and requiring another surgery if it didn't work.

Never had a regret and I have been smiling ever since when I am able to pass that certain aisle in the supermarket.:D ;) :D

If it were me, I'd go for the ablation. Just my own personal opinion. If I was getting a replacement now, knowing what I do (and just being tired of the whole monthly thing :rolleyes: ) I'd get one. You aren't messing with hormones and I'm assuming the IUD has a hormonal component. My sister has messed around with 2 different IUDs for heavy bleeding and has not liked the effects the hormones had on her. I don't think I'd want to be dealing with that on top of OHS recovery.

Best wishes!

Back