Coumadin and exercise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Susie

My dad had 2 valves replaced on Feb. 5. Before the surgery, he was very active--he did yoga, biked, hiked or rollerbladed several times a week. He's concerned about rollerblading (his favorite activity) now that he's on coumadin. This is because of the risk of falling and causing internal bleeding. How have your actitivies changed since being on coumadin? Do you think my dad should stop rollerblading?

Thank you!

Hi there!
I have not curtailed anything since I have been put on coumadin. I try to avoid anything that would cause head injury. I an going back to softball this summer and I am a little concerned about bruising, I play 1st base and sometimes the ball isn't thrown very accurately. But no sliding anymore and all should be cool. I guess I would make sire you dad has a helmut, that's it

carbo

Hi Susie-

Welcome to the site. The best thing for your dad to do would be to discuss his exercising and rollerblading with his cardiologist and his surgeon.

Because he had 2 valve replaced, he's probably on a little higher dose of Coumadin than single valvers. This might make a difference in the recommendations of these doctors. I think it should be a medical decision.

Let us know how things work out.

Take care.

how does coumadin affect bleeding?

how does coumadin affect bleeding?

Hi, I'm Elena, just joined up yesterday....
I keep seeing these posts about being on coumadin and worried about internal bleeding, external bleeding, blood clots in the eyes ....ect....
I really don't know anything about this and was wondering if I could get some info?
thanks!

We have a member allodwick who manages a Coumadin clinic. He's an expert on Coumadin. He gives generously of his time to this board and we're all exceedingly grateful for that.

He has a website http://www.warfarinfo.com/

Please stop by there. It has everything you ever wanted to know about Coumadin.

By the way, my husband has been on Coumadin for 25 years. It's the least of his medical issues. No problems for him.

Hi Susie

Hi Susie

I am age 62..My VR will be one year Tuesday:) If your Dad is only 7 weeks post op..He really needs to spend the next month or two..getting it in range. Mech Valves are supposed to be in the 2.5-3.5 range. Is he in it?..Once it gets stable..and he has it checked about every 2-3 weeks..He should be able to go rollar-blading, ect. He doesn't want it to be over the range too much..That is when bleeding may occur.. Like..gums...Easy to get it back down..by following Allowick's thread.. I will be one year Tuesday..All I have had was the bleeding gums..but a few good cleanings took care of that..and I stayed on coumadin. He will know when he feels good enough to take up everything he was doing before.. I would say about 3 months..Right now..his body still has a long way to go..before being completley healed. Also, did he bruise before surgery..I took a big fall( due to a crazy woman trying to get my dog) and hit the pavement pretty hard. Fell over a concrete bumper in a shopping center. NO bruises the next day. Just sore.. Tell Daddy to heal first..and then get on with life:D :D And not to be afraid once he starts his hobbies..if he gets a mild pain in chest..They go away quickly..due to overdoing it:p BTW. How old is he?.. Bonnie

I still go to the gym four to five days a week, although I've changed my emphasis from weightlifting to more aerobic stuff.
My doctor cautioned me about any activity that would require wearing a helmet (with somewhat tongue-in-cheek references to auto racing and sky diving...).
In the two years since my surgery I've been lucky that I really haven't had any problems with bleeding or bruising. In fact, because I exercise on a regular basis, my INR tends to get out of range when I miss a few days of workouts when I'm really busy at work or have to travel.
I wouldn't think that rollerblading would be that hazardous as long as he wore a good helmet. Still would suggest talking it over with his doctors.

Mark

My dad is 60. Last week, his INR was at 2.5. The 2 previous weeks, it was either too high (5.1) or too low (1.9). Right now, he's in cardiac rehab, and really enjoys it. That will be the bulk of his exercising for the next few weeks. He still doesn't have the energy to do too much more than that.

Thanks to everyone for all of your responses! I'm really glad I surfed on to this site!

Welcome to vr.com Susie!

Welcome to vr.com Susie!

If I wanted to put on a pair of roller blades I wouldn?t hesitate.....but I?m sure his doctor would want him to wear a helmet.

I wanted to let you know that if I miss a few exercise classes, I can see it in my INR readings... that might be something your Dad should look at.

Latest posts

Back