Cough Relief

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INRtest

I've read through a number of threads about cough suppressants and yet I can't seem to find what I need. I have a dry cough and want to take something, but I'm a little fearful of either upsetting my INR or otherwise causing skipped beats or a racing heart.

Sitting in front of me are a bottle of NyQuil and a bottle of Triaminic Cold & Cough. Does anybody have any experience with either and/or know of contra-indications of either one?

I can live with my cough for the next day or two, but we're going to stay over at a friend's house on New Year's Eve and I don't want to keep everybody awake coughing -- I'll let my clicking valve do that.

Happy New Year's to all of you!

Hi, Jess, I have a dry cough that just acts up on occasion for some unknown reason... The best thing for me are the Ricola Natural Herb cough drops, you can buy them at any pharmacy or Walmart. I just let it trickle down my throat and it really works for me, I have tried all kinds of cough medicine and this is the only thing that relieves it.. Good luck Rose

Over here we have natural cough remedies which I use for Chloe cos of warfarin interactions - they are glyceryn (SP?) based with either honey and lemon or blackcurrant and they work well. I'd assume you could get something similar where you are? And they don't contain any medication so INR wouldn't be affected... well, Chloe's has never been anyway

Hope your cough eases soon
Emma
xxx

Thank you for your help. I only test once a month, so I didn't want to jeopardie my INR with either a legitimate medication or an herbal remedy.
I'll try one of the over-the-counters that you recommended.

Robitussin DM. Otherwise I just use Luden's or even hard candies (I can't use mentholated anything, so most cough drops are out for me).

Jess

Jess

With all the flu going around in California...I think maybe you should see your PCP..and get some antibodics and cough med...You don't want it to turn into anything more serious...Hubby had a cough and broke down and saw a local clinic. they gave him cough med and antibodics..and it knocked his right out.:) I would worry about your INR later......get rid of the cough..first.:p Bonnie

Cough Remedy Compounds

Cough Remedy Compounds

The non-pharmacological syrups and lozenges are usually sugar-based or honey-based, and may contain eucalyptus, wild cherry, lemon, menthol, assorted "Swiss" herbs, tree barks (e.g. slippery elm), horehound (a bitter-tasting plant of the mint family with white-downed leaves), or various other contaminants and flavorings. They basically work by encouraging saliva to lubricate the throat. The menthol and eucalyptus may also somewhat ease constriction in the lungs and help loosen phlegm. Some are sugar-free now.

Almost all true over-the-counter cough suppressant products contain dextromethorphan (usually as a hydrobromide), regardless of brand. It is often coded as "D" or "DM" in the name, and is a non-addictive variant of codeine, that dulls the urge to cough to some extent. In high doses it can be abused as an hallucenogenic. When abused that way, it can be lethal when other active ingredients are consumed at the same high levels, such as chlorpheniramine maleate, found in Coricidin. Some of these compounds use the same, less populated metabolizers in the liver, and a toxic overload can very quickly be created.

Dextromethorphan should not be taken with Amiodarone (like Cordarone), or quinidine antiarrhythmics, such as Quinaglute Dura-tabs and Quinidex Extentabs (quinidine sulfate). It does not go with the antidepressant Fluoexetine (Prozac) or with various MAO inhibitors (mood drugs), such as furazolidone [Furoxone], phenelzine [Nardil], procarbazine [Matulane], selegiline [Eldepryl], or tranylcypromine [Parnate].

However, you could also look to the cause of your coughing, and attack it that way.

If it's post-nasal drip, you can try an antihistamine, which temporarily dries most people up fairly well. Benadryl (diphenhydramine hydrobromide) is an excellent antihistamine, and there are old stand-bys, such as chlorpheniramine maleate (in Chlortrimeton and Coricidin), Brompheniramine (in Dimetapp and Robitussin Alergy), Doxylamine (in Vicks NyQuil and Alka-Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold Medicine), and triprolidine hydrochloride (Actifed). One of the newer types available is Loratadine (as in Alavert and Claritin). Most of these can be found in generic brands. Note that any antihistamine can cause drowsiness in some people, and generally are not a good mix with alcohol. They are also not good company for some high blood pressure medications, so check the interactions on the label or ask your pharmacist.

If it is one of those dry, cough-until-your-eyes-pop-out hacks that wheezes every last ounce of oxygen out of your lungs, then starts again as soon as you try to breathe in, you can try guaifenesin, which is usually billed as an expectorant. Robitussin makes one that contains only guaifenesin, as do many other major brands now, and most drug stores and grocery chains have a store brand version of it. It stimulates your lungs to produce more moisture and thinner mucus, which helps by diluting the thick mucus stuck in the irritated lung tissue, and making any coughing you do more productive and less wheezy.

Bring your reading glasses and be prepared to read some active ingredient lists on labels. You may not want products that contain decongestants (pseudoephedrine hydrochloride), painkillers (acetaminophen [Tylenol], acetylsalicylic acid [aspirin], ibuprofen [Motrin, Advil, Medipren, etc]), or other active ingredients along with the one you feel you actually need. Store brands will contain the generic forms of these compounds, so you need to look for them in the active ingredients, and make sure things you don't want are not there with them.

If you are on Coumadin/warfarin, you should probably check Al Lodwick's website for any effects these common compounds may have on your INR. If you have doubts as to whether you should be taking any over-the-counter medication, always check with your doctor or pharmacist.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back