Cooker's Throwdown Friday ... 5-8-15

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooker

Chillin, just chillin....
Supporting Member
I'm up a 1/2 pound from last week. Long hours, eating late and on the run have not helped. Honestly no change in attitude from last week. I'm just trying to stay somewhat mindful of my diet.

I'm healing up and see the surgeon Friday. I do not think he will release me but slow and steady wins the race.

How about you?

2015 Starting Weight: 243.50
Last Week's Weight: 237.5
This Week's Weight: 238.0

Hope all went well with your surgeon, Tom. My last weigh in was 193.4 up a pound and change, Too many carbs, I guess. Like you, my attitude remains the same. I am doing a lot of walking. Next week I wear a Holter for a day (three months post-surgery. Hopefully I can get off the warfarin and amiodarone if there are no abnormalities; We'll see. Feeling good with no medical issues. Battling delayed grief and depression over the loss of my dog companion. For two months I concentrated on getting myself better, but now that I'm feeling recovered, the pain of loosing him is overwhelming at times.. He was put down while I was in the hospital so closure is difficult.. If I had it to do over again I would have tried to find a way to keep him alive longer. He was old and failing, but i didn't realize how much delayed mental pain over him I would have later on. But what's done is done and I'll have to cope.

So sorry to read of your loss, Jim. You've had a difficult few months. My weight has stayed the same as last week's. I've been consistent with my walking so I'm able to handle the higher daytime temperatures and higher humidity. They both have been my undoing in years past.

Jim, so sorry about the loss of your companionable dog. I know how hard that is to get over -- best wishes to you as you go forward.
I am tracking my daily food intake and exercising on spark people.com but I am weighing only infrequently. Have to go see my cardiologist next week, so I will receive the doc's scales shock therapy.

Holy Hannah, I weigh 155 pounds. Gained 25 lbs since November! Most of it since March. Taking on too much at work, then injury then these allergies = no exercise, and I was very active. Who knew that actually burned calories. And uncontrolled eating to go with it.

If I don't lose weight this week, back to weight watchers. I can do better on eating and track. And hopefully my allergies will improve so I can breathe enough to at least take a walk or mow the lawn or something even if I can't work out.

It's all relative though . . .. Jim I'm sorry about the loss of your dog and that you didn't get to say goodbye in person. I hope you find peace and new sparks of joy in life soon.

Hi there
skeptic49;n855720 said:
... Battling delayed grief and depression over the loss of my dog companion. For two months I concentrated on getting myself better, but now that I'm feeling recovered, the pain of loosing him is overwhelming at times..

very sorry to hear of your grief. I have struggled with knowing what to say and saying something wrong, but I know I see those feelings in others and so I wanted to resist that. Somehow grief and heart surgery have something in common. We feel alone, people can visit (or stay away because they are afraid) but somehow nothing helps. Just like heart surgery the healing comes from within us. It is not the doctor who heals it is our own body. In this way I say that dealing with grief is like physical training. By training we get to be able to endure more without as much pain. At the start 15Km feels like it will kill us, but after some time of working at it 15Km is just 15Km, a bit of chaffing and maybe the knee plays up a bit.

It does get "easier" in that you get stronger. I found that if I simply present myself to the problem then the solution eventually presents itself. The loss never goes away, so look it in the eye unflinchingly and master it. For myself I can say I'm still mastering it but I'm not flinching back from staring down the darkness and it is less difficult.

We in this community are here to listen, and by our small gestures you can know your words are not going into the void. Myself I can not articulate what knowing that means or how it helps, but for myself it means a lot and it helps more than its absence (I have had both to compare).

For myself I think you made the right choices and yes, what is done is done, but I think you did your best.

Best Wishes and and I wish you strength in this time

Latest posts

Back