Controlled AFIB 6.5 years after mechancal aortic valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaconne

I've been a member for 6 years, haven't posted for 2 or 3 years. I'm a 48 year old male, 6.5 years out from Aortic Valve Surgery with an On-X mechanical valve. Have been doing great, I'm an aggressive uphill cyclist. Last week started having an irregular heartbeat (suddenly, not while exercising). Went to hospital and they say I have controlled AFIB. This means I have an irregular heartbeat but my heart is not racing out of control. Doctors not concerned about my immediate health, but I've experienced a drastic reduction in my stamina. They did put me on 25mg of Metroprolol which slows me down. I have shortness of breath and can't ride nearly as hard this week. Any one have similar experience?

I developed chronic "controlled AFIB" 2 to 3 years ago which was many years post surgery. Mine is also controlled with meds (50mg Atenolol). Since I was already on warfarin there was no need to put me on a blood thinner to minimize a stroke caused by the Afib. My stamina has also decreased but old age, not Afib, is what I blame that on. I have now gotten used to the erratic heart beat and I seldom am aware of it.

I was on Metroprolol after my AVR and didn't like it. It made me real mellow and affected my sexual performance. However, it kept me so mellow that when my wife and daughter argued at the dinner table, I could calmly watch and not participate :) I didn't have stamina problems or shortness of breath though. Maybe you need to contact your cardio and have a dose adjustment. I think it effects different people in different ways. When I discussed it with my cardio I was told to stay on it until the script ran out.

I’ve been on metoprolol for almost 9 years with no noticable issues. I’m in much better shape now than going into my last OHS. But I was no avid athlete so don’t really have a prior peak performance to compare. Last time I would have considered myself a runner was 20 years ago and pre-metoprolol. I would not expect to do as well in my 40’s as I did in my 20’s.

Thanks all. From what I remember over the past 5 days that I've had it, I had the shortness of breath before I started the medication. I have contacted my cardio to see if he can give me a consultation for my options. This is a big hit to my active lifestyle.

I had my valves replaced in September 2008 and stayed on toprol until 2014. I kept nagging my doctor abt it, but my cardio said it was better to stay on it even though I was fine! Yet, I insisted on stopping it in 2014 as I never got used to it and it slowed me down.

As of last month, I’’ve started experiencing PVCs and they are awful and of course causing me to be extremely fatigued! Sometimes I can’t sleep at night! I’m planning to see cardio again, though I had my yearly echo this past April.

I’m regretting having stopped Toprol, but I still might have had them even if I stayed taking it!

Good luck and keep us informed.

I was on Metaprolol after surgery and it kinda sucked. Slow and tired all the time, maybe but it was also after surgery... nevertheless once I got off of it I felt much better in general. My pulse increased immediately after coming off that med (but I was also still recovering) its since come down to a nice calm rate.

I'm scheduled for a cardioversion on June 29th. Hopfully this will restore my normal heart rhythm and take away the SOB. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back