Confused

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More info

More info

Thanks everyone for your concern and input. I am going to download the articles right away.

Dr. Trento has performed over 130 RP's over the last 12 years...and just did another one on Friday. So far only 6 of his patients have needed reops of any sort (aortic or pulmonary or aneurysm) which is, I think, a pretty good statistic.

My cardiologist and I are just a little scared by this new info re: BAV patients having more problems (aneurysm and failure of pulmonary vavle to take) so that is why I am trying to get as much info as possible, and hopefully will be able to ask educated questions on Tuesday.

I will definitely ask about using Dacron on the root, as well as if he does any additional tests before going forward with the Ross.

Still undecided :confused: but trying to get educated :rolleyes:

Debbie

I know where you're coming from...

I know where you're coming from...

Hey, I can totally sympathize w/ you on the confusion angle...and I haven't even had to mix the Ross procedure into my equation....I'm 40 and have known I would need a valve replacement for BAV since I was about 8. Originally they speculated I would need it in my mid 20's, but I've outlasted my warranty. I live in Orlando, FL and have basically been told the choice is up to me as far as whether to go tissue valve (bovine) and have another surgery in the hopefully not so near future or mechanical (St. Jude) and cozy up to Coumadin for the rest of my life. I would've liked a little more leadership from my surgeon, but the second opinion said the same thing...my gut feeling, like yours is to avoid the coumadin therapy (not that there's anything wrong w/ it for people on it--if I had no choice, I'd be happy to have it...but I evidently do have a choice). I could ramble on for awhile on my decision (which I have to finalize here in the next several days as I am looking at surgery in the next 3 to 4 weeks), but either way, good luck and i hope you're happy w/ your decision...I really have no insights to offer except you're not alone...I've decided to stick w/ a tissue valve and look forward to advances (hopefully significant ones) in the fields of valve technology and surgery...

Latest posts

Back