Competition!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psalmist

I know that I am post op. I know that in some respects I will never be the same. I know that (including age) I am not who I used to be but I don't want to lay down that easy. I started running and have ran a 5k. I am going to run more this year. I did not do as well as I wanted time wise and can use the excuse of my heart but I don't want to. I used to be able to run a good mile time. I want to recapture that and maybe even improve that. I think I am going to give it a shot anyway. I want to run the 5k in under 20 min and would like to make it 18 min. We'll see. Can it be done by a valver??

Can it be done by a valver??

why not? you've got fresh piece parts, now the new and improved model.
5k in under twenty minutes sounds doable. i'm not quite there yet, but
since avr in january, have run:

2 miles in 14:49
10k in 54:20
5k in 26:37

and today finally broke the 7-minute mile with 6:55
(**should add best time was 5:30 about one score ago**)

most of these runs were in temps of 95-100 degrees and close
to 100% humidity. cooler and dryer climate should see better times.

If you could do it before, you should be able to do it again, as long as you weren't 18 the last time you were able!

My best mile in my entire life was around 7, and that was pre-Rheumatic Fever at age 14, so would I be able to do it? No way, no how! I'd guess I could do something around 9 right now, maybe shooting for 8. But speed was never my forte as I was in cross country prior to illness.

I think with the right training program it's possible. You're young and the valve shouldn't be a big factor. What you need to do is hit the track at least once a week and do some interval training, probably 200s and 400s. If you subscribe to Runner's World, this month has a program for running a 5K.
Here is a link to the magazine that have different articles for running a 5K & 10K.
http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-238-244-259-0,00.html
Personally I hate 5Ks. It takes me that long to get to a comfortable breathing pattern that's why I stick mostly to 1/2 and full marathons.

Great!

Great!

My wife laughed at my post and said I actually had to train if I was going to reduce my time! spouses... gotta love the. I am glad to hear the support. I was younger by the way and I ran a 5:18 without training. I regret not giving much effort I would like to reclaim a little of that. I will try to keep some updates of my time improvement. I have just remodeled my house and I have not been running but I am ready to go now that the projecst are done. My times are pretty lousy I am sure. Here we go!

Training

Training

Set reasonable goals for yourself, design a training program that will help you achieve your goals, and get after it.

Yeah, I'm sure many of us have fond memories of times when training wasn't as tough and as necessary to get us the results we wanted. Somehow age seems to change that situation.

-Philip

It's time to reveal the ultimate secret. The primary factor in running performance is weight. If you get yourself lean, mean and train intelligently, there are no limits.

Weight might be the primary factor, but there are several others, namely age, that certainly figures into the equation...big time. :D

You bet you can! You need to specifically train for the 5k...I would recommend a weekly program that includes: a longer run, a tempo run, track work, and a couple of recovery runs. Do not ramp up too quickly in speed or days of running, or you risk injury.....Good Luck!

I was younger by the way and I ran a 5:18 without training.

Sigh, that's the problem with people with natural talent. They can do stuff without working for it that those of us, children of a lesser god, have to work so hard for.

It reminds me of a young guy I worked with at GE many years ago. He was only 22 and just a year or so out of college. We got to talking about running and I mentioned that it took a lot of work for anyone to get under 5:00. He said in a flip tone, "I could do 4:30 right now without any training." He had not run track or cross country in college, but he had run a 15 minute 5k back in high school. Still it had been about 5 years since he'd had any serious training. So I had to take that bet. I just knew he was full of hot air.

We went out to the track that night and he cranked out 4:34. Of course, I did win the bet because he was 4 seconds off, but still it warped my brain for years to come that he could simply jump on the track and go that fast. Me, I never broke 6 minutes no matter how hard I tried. I have since come to peace with this fact and even root for guys like Psalmist. Go for it big guy.

Back