Coming up on 4 weeks out.......a question ....?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natina13

I have been sleeping in a medical recliner since the surgery, as I found I feel better when I am up in a chair, I just recline it some to sleep.
Well.... today I decided I would try my bed, as I normally sleep on my side ( almost a fetal position, as it takes pressure off my lower back), never sleep on my back or stomach. No problem getting on or off the bed now.....but, almost as soon as I was in the reclining position ( partly on my side, with a pillow behind me, as it is uncomfortable to be totally on my side still), with just my regular pillow under my head... I began to cough and nothing I did helped. I kept coughing and coughing, till I finally got off the bed and back in my chair. It seems I can not lay down, without causing myself to cough, almost continually.
Has this happened to anyone else ??? And if so, when did it go away and what did you do, to make it stop ?
I have been doing so well.....( only 1 ER trip since coming home, for vomiting all night and severe pain under my right rib-cage), that this totally surprised me. I am still using my IS to keep my lungs clear. Hope to start Cardiac Rehab after I see my surgeon on the 24th.
I want my bed :(
Renee

Renee .... Everyone is different and you are fresh out of surgery (not quite three weeks) ... sounds like you are doing just fine ... I had a cough for about a month after surgery and I'm guessing it was do to anesthesia ... remember, any cares or concerns that you have just pick up the phone and call your doctor, that's what they are for .... time and baby steps will bring about a complete recovery....:thumbup:

Renee - I think it is important to be more specific as to th e cough you have. Like Cooker, I had a dry, nagging cough for a long time after surgery (IIRC, about 5 or 6 weeks), but it seemed to just resolve itself one night and hasn't been back since. This cough I believe was caused by the combination of drugs during surgery and the irritation caused by the vent tube and TEE probe down my throat during surgery.

A cough that happens only when you lay down has me more concerned. Could this be from fluid getting backed up into your lungs? I had some of this too, and I slept in a recliner for about the first 4 weeks after surgery. This, too, seemed to resolve itself at about week 5. Using my spirometer seemed to help some, but the help couldn't last all night. Sorry that I don't have time to search other posts (I'm at work now), but do you have any edema (fluid accumulation in the body, like ankles, feet or hands)? That would be an indicator, but not the only one, of excess fluid being retained. When I was holding so much fluid, we increased my lasix dosage to evacuate it. Then once I was more active, we were able to discontinue the lasix.

Hope this helps. I don't want to scare you, I'm just asking to be sure you are qware of what is happening to your body.

Renee,

It wouldn't hurt to just have a chest x-ray as a precaution. This way you will know what you are dealing with. Doc removed 1200cc from my chest wall today. I slept a little better in recliner also but I am starting to try bed again. I have been OK with lots of pillows keeping my chest up. And 2.5 mg of Ambien helps although I hate taking it. The first 2 weeks I was taking 5mg and it was toooo much. So I went off for 3 nights and was up all night and 2 nights ago, I tried breaking it in half and it still worked the same without the foggy feeling during the day. But I don't plan to stay on it much longer. I agree with Steve that Benedryl may be better. Go get that chest x-ray. God bless.

Jeri

Thank you for your replies. I had already had a chest xray and had informed my doctor about the coughing, before I posted this.. Hope you all are continuing to progress well.........I am doing fine. Be well.....
Renee

Latest posts

Back