colonoscopy and coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharon

Hi everyone,
I'm really not new to the group. For some reason I wasn't able to log on for a long time and recently got reactivated by way of Hank. Well, just got back from my dr and she wants me to go for a colonoscopy - what a pain in the you know where. Now from what I understand I may have to stop the coumadin. I know that I have to take antibiotics but the thought of no coumadin has got me crazy. Has anyone had some experience with this procedure. It's just one of those over 50 fun things to do.
Thanks for any info you can give me.
Sharon

Re: colonoscopy and coumadin

This is the first time I have heard this one. Diagnostic colonoscopy
should be bloodless. Now sometimes they see a polyp and want to snip it out. This could be a problem. Sometimes they see a lesion they want to biopsy which might go deeper. I think you should have your cardiologist speak to the gastroenterologist. If the GI person wants the right to snip you may have to stop the coumadin and go on Lovenox prior to the procedure.Maybe you should ask your PCP whether an old fashioned barium enema might be substituted for the colonoscopy. I average about four a day in my practise and every week I get somebody who's on coumadin.

Hi Sharon-

First of all welcome to the site. It's a wonderful source of info, support and just plain friendship as you go through the many vicissitudes of valve replacement and beyond.

We all understand what you're going through and there is sure to be someone here who can relate to the particular question you have.

My husband has had a colonoscopy, but it was a "virtual" colonoscopy which can give a pretty good image of the colon, but if polyps have to be removed, it can't be done with this procedure. You should be sure touch base with your cardiologist on the procedure and let them tell you how to proceed.

A more recent one that they wanted Joe to have was skuttled because he would have had to be off iron pills and he was so anemic, that it just wasn't feasible. He's off the iron now. Haven't heard any more about a colonoscopy for him.

So there are lots of "ins and outs" (no pun intended) in having this done. Talk to your cardiologist.

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to the forum.

I am also on Coumadin, and at that age that the doctors recommend a colonoscopy as a precautionary checkup.

Like Nancy said, there is a "Virtual" colonoscopy. What it really is, is a type of MRI. You do not have to go off of Coumadin to have this procedure.

The reason many doctors don't recommend this procedure is simple. If a regular colonoscopy is performed, and any polyps are detected, they can eliminate them as they do the procedure. But, if they do cut off a polyp, there would be some bleeding. BAD for us on Coumadin. Simply put, if a virtual colonoscopy detects any problems, they would have to go back a second time to eliminate the problems. Small price to pay for someone on blood thinners.

After explaining to my doctor that I was on Coumadin, he recommended the "virtual" colonoscopy for me. He said that if they did detect any polyps, then they would have to go in later to do corrective surgery. A that time, they would setup procedures to get off Coumadin and have everything ready to do the surgery quick and get out, and back onto the Coumadin, while under a contolled environment.

Anyway, this is my real experience with this issue.

Hope it helps,

Rob

Last edited:
colonoscopy

colonoscopy

Hi everyone,

My pcp has also mentioned a colonoscopy to check to see if I am bleeding somewhere due to on-going anemia. I am curious about the virtual MRI type test. If one has a mechanical valve is it possible to have an MRI of any type? My orthopedic doc wanted to check my knee problem with an MRI but decided he couldn't do it as he thought the magnets would pull the valve (and my heart!) out of my chest!! Certainly made my mind up about ever having an MRI.

If anyone knows anything about this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Nan
AVR 10/99

Hi Nan-

I think it's OK with the mechanical valves, but with a pacemaker, MRIs are out. Joe's virtual colonoscopy was done with a mechanical valve on board, but prior to his having the pacemaker implanted.

Your doctor would know about all this, I hope.

Nancy said:
Hi Nan-

I think it's OK with the mechanical valves, but with a pacemaker, MRIs are out. Joe's virtual colonoscopy was done with a mechanical valve on board, but prior to his having the pacemaker implanted.

Your doctor would know about all this, I hope.

I think Nancy is right. I have a Greenfield Filter installed and they did an MRI on me with it in place. I'm assuming the thing isn't magnetic, otherwise, I'd be missing part of my Vena Cava.

Check with your Doctor to be sure.

Here's a description of a virtual colonoscopy. Says it uses a CT scanner.

Welcome to the Virtual Colonoscopy web site of Boston Medical Center.

General information on Virtual Colonoscopy is available here, as well as information on our activities at Boston Medical Center surrounding this exciting new screening tool.

Virtual Colonoscopy is a new method that allows doctors to look at the large bowel (colon) to detect polyps and cancers. Polyps are small growths in the colon that may become cancerous if they are not removed. Virtual Colonoscopy is a recently developed technique that uses a CT scanner and computer virtual reality software to look inside the body without having to insert a long tube (Conventional Colonoscopy) into the colon or without having to fill the colon with liquid barium (Barium Enema).

Research performed at Boston University and elsewhere has shown that Virtual Colonoscopy is better able to see polyps than Barium Enema and is nearly as accurate as Conventional Colonoscopy. In addition, most patients report that the Virtual Colonoscopy technique is more comfortable than either Barium Enema or Conventional Colonoscopy.

Hi and welcome to the group.

First I want to address Nancy. Thank you for the information on the virtual procedure. Happy to see we are starting to use it.

As for the standard procedure. Had one two years ago. Was removed from my Coumadin for three days and used Lovenox injections at home which is like Heparin to cover me while I was off the Coumadin. Every 12 hours. They have you hold one injection back prior to the procedure so you are only uncovered anticoagulation wise for a very short time. Proceeding the procedure you resume the injections and Coumadin until your levels come up.

You will need to premeditate with antibiotics. Any procedure that they makes contact your mucus membrane.......nose, throat and rear end in this case. Potential to release bacteria into your system may be present. Removing you from the Coumadin is precautionary in the event they would poke though your tissue during the proceedure, which is very very rare. Unfortunately, that in one of the risks of the procedure. They will explain this to you and have you sign a waiver. Standard protocol.

Each MD has their own idea of how they are going to manage your anticouagulation during your down time. From what I have seen....you are best seved on the Lovenox, no matter what type of prothesis you have.

virtual colonoscopy

virtual colonoscopy

Thanks to all of you for your responses. It's greatly appreciated.

Nan

colonoscopy and coumadin

Thank you all for the info. My internist wanted me to make an app't with the dr that does the plumbing job - I just haven't really wanted to do that. I will definitely find out if someone does the virtural colonoscopy here. If the mri is the one that they put in into a machine-like coffin then yes, it is ok to have that with the titanium valve. I had one for a rotator cuff problem last year - the technician said that they are not a problem. And by the way as I mentioned in the beginning post I'm not new here - just haven't posted in awhile - I go way back to the orig vr site when we used to get everything sent to our e-mail site. You guys remember that one don't you? I was even at the reunion in Scottsdale. But thanks anyway for your welcome words. Talk to you soon.
Sharon

Latest posts

Back