Colonography instead of colonoscopy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consuela

I recently had my 5 year check up with my colonoscopy. That is what I usually get, but my doctor told me that they can now do a colonography since I am on Warfarin. 5 years ago, I opted to have the colonoscopy and did not get off my warfarin and everything was fine. I have had 6 colonoscopies and never had a polyp. My mom died of colon cancer and I have been having myself tested since I turned 50.

Well I went for the colonography and it was horrible. I wish I did the traditional colonoscopy. The results are in and everything was good, but they "think" I might have a very tiny polyp. They are not sure if it is a polyp. I am going to meet with my gastro and see what he says. I am sure that they want to remove it, but that means getting off my warfarin and going on bridging meds. I dread doing this for I have heard so many horror stories. The real thing that upsets me is that they are not even sure if it is a polyp.

Why have this form of testing if they cannot be sure of the results?

Has anyone ever had a colonography? I am thinking that this has not been perfected yet. I wish I would have looked into this test before I took it.
Thanks,
Consuela
St. Jude mitral-valve replacement
Dec. 13, 2005

Is a colonography what's called a virtual colonoscopy? That's been discussed here before.
I've had one colonoscopy while on warfarin -- got my INR down to 2.5, I think (would have to check my INR diaries to be sure). A few people have even had polyps removed while on warfarin.
Lovenox, used for bridging, can still cause bleeding.

Thank you for getting back to me. Do you know what forum has discussed this situation? I am thinking that the way to go is just getting my INR down like you did and have the procedure done.
The colonography really was not definitive so I think I will go through with the colonoscopy, like I should have, and let the doctor decide what is best. I will know more when I meet with the GI doctor next week.

Thank you for getting back to me. Do you know what forum has discussed this situation? I am thinking that the way to go is just getting my INR down like you did and have the procedure done.
The colonography really was not definitive so I think I will go through with the colonoscopy, like I should have, and let the doctor decide what is best. I will know more when I meet with the GI doctor next week.

You can do a search for colonoscopy in our forum section --- AntiCoagulation.
I do remember reading that getting the INR at around 2.5 is fine and somebody had a small polyp removed. Of course different doctors
may have their own opinions and requests, but see how it goes.
Best wishes with your GI appt.

Latest posts

Back