Coagucheck Xs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarno1973

In a few weeks I will have my second OHS and my failing tissue valve will be replaced by a mechanical valve. At the moment I am on Warfarin but my range seems to be less critical at the moment. Once my mechanical valve is implanted I will have to be on warfarin, something that I really wanted to avoid. I have already bought myself a self tester to minimize the inconvenience. In the initial stage I will have lab checks and my warfarin will be managed for me. I intend to use the self tester on the side and gain experience after which I will probably turn to self testing and self management.

One thing that I noticed is that the Coagucheck xs came with only 20 lancets (needles for finger prick lancing device), while the testing strips come in batches of 24.

Can anyone tell me whether I am supposed to re-use the lancets several times and if new lancets normally come with testing strips? Or do I need to buy them separately?

Thanks for any answers in advance.

Jarno

My lancets are one time use. The company I get my strips from also send the lancets, but I have seen doing a google search.

You should really only use the lancets once. After you break them out of their little plastic, they aren't sterile any more. My pharmacist did suggest to me though, that I could use them more than once if I wanted to. I just figured it was a bad idea. They might rust, or get contaminated by some sort of bacteria or who knows what else?
I don't know what they cost in Thailand but in the US they are about 4 or 5 bucks for a big box. I couldn't find a convenient supply for the lancets which fit the original device so I ended up buying a $10 'universal' (fits almost any lancet) device. Just make sure to get the big gauge. The little skinny ones the diabetics use won't give you enough of a blood droplet.

Get the 21 gauge lancets. I buy them at Walgreens, about $5 for a box of 100. The 26 or 31 gauge don't give you a big enough drop. the lancing device is another $5.
That's assuming you are purchasing your strips independently, also.

Good morning Jarno
I use the lancette once unless they're in short supply then dip in alcohol and re-use. It's amazing you're in Thailand, have a monitor, and will learn how to use it and self-manage. That's great. Here in S. Ontario in a town with a population of 7,000 I'm the only user.

As a valver who's been on warfarin for 20 years, I struggle to understand why it's such a terrible thing to avoid. (I pulled a leg muscle two weeks ago - but didn't concern myself too much about excessive bleeding; and I've had a low INR a few times, but, also didn't go nuts worrying about it). Being on warfarin basically means that you have to test -- when I've got a good supply of strips, I test weekly -- otherwise, it's every 10 days or two weeks. Modifications to dosage of warfarin are minimal. Being on warfarin isn't that big a problem. (Having a mechanical valve and trying to play hide and seek is a different issue -- kids can hear the click).

As far as lancing -- the advice you're received is good - a 21 gauge lancet is what you want to use. I have a lifetime (or longer) supply of 21 gauge lancets (more than 1,000 that I got on eBay), and extra lancing devices (also bought for nearly nothing on eBay). I'd be happy to set you up for a few year supply if I can figure out the postage to Thailand. (You should be able to get the lancets and lancing device locally, fairly affordably). In the past, I've used the devices that do it all -- they cost a bit more than using a lancing device and getting bulk lancets. Both work.

I wouldn't reuse a lancet. (The lancet box warns against reuse because they claim that the point can get dull after the first use, and there may be discomfort the second, third, fourth...fiftieth time you use the lancet). For a few cents a lancet, it hardly makes sense to reuse it (I can't imagine an emergency that would make reuse necessary unless, perhaps, you're stranded at the South Pole and don't have a Walgreen's nearby).

Hi Jarno,

I can't help re: the coumadin but wonder if I am misreading your 'signature'.

Did your tissue valve not last even a year? You have to replace it so quickly?
If so, I am so sorry to read that and wish you the very best.

Latest posts

Back