Coagecheck Testing Unit

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
My GP has started a warfarin clinic ( run by a Pharmacist )
using a coagecheck machine.

He did my test and my INR was 3.3 ( within my range )

I asked for a veinous sample to be sent to the hospital lab where I usually test, this came back at 4.0

the pharmacist did not seem concerned and left my dose as it was
he said he would retest me in three weeks and again he would do a veinous sample,

I would be interested too hear the views of any one who uses a coagecheck

thanks

Jan

I have run a warfarin clinic for more than 5 years and done about 15,000 tests with CoaguCheks.

If you had a 3.3 in my clinic, I would do nothing.

If you had a 4.0 in my clinic, I would probably have you take 1/2 of your next wararin dose then continue on the same dose and recheck you in about 3 weeks.

I hardly ever consider a 4.0 reason enough to change a dose.

Thanks Al

What concerned me was the difference in the results

3.3 on the machine and 4.0 from the lab

I realise it is only a slight variation but because it was the first time I had had my INR tested at this clinic I just wondererd if this was to be expexted

I was quite happy that he did not alter my dose

I have been taking 6mg daily from Dec and have been quite stable at 3.0 to 3.5
but 4.0 does not bother me

cheers

Jan

I swithced from a Coumadin Clinic that uses the NEW Coaguchek machine to one that uses the OLD Coaguchek machine.

The lab with the NEW Coaguchek machine consistently read higher than my ProTime Home Test machine, sometimes by over 1 unit. I never had a vein draw at that lab for comparison.

The lab with the OLD Coaguchek machine consistently reads 0.4 or 0.5 units less than my ProTime Home Test machine. I have had 3 lab draws for comparison and all 3 were either exactly the same as the old Coaguchek or differed by only 0.1 unit.

I don't know if the NEW Coaguchek machine was the problem or that particular lab had a calibration problem. I was not confident in the young and relatively inexperienced nurses at that lab. At the second lab, a Pharm D (PHD in Pharmacy?) is in charge and the head nurse is a CRNP, both with more experience and knowledge than my first clinic. I have a lot more confidence in the people and the machine at my second lab.

'AL'

Al

I have no idea it was an old machine or a new one,

This type of testing is fairly new to our area so I presume it is a new machine

I have checked the CoagcChek website but the UK site is under construction

I will stay with the CoaguCheck for the time being providing they will do a lab test at the same time, hopefully we will get results that are the same/similar

If it works out I will buy a machine, I have been told that they cost about a third of the cost of a protime
( here in the UK we have too pay for them ourselves )

It would be good for use on holiday

I will just wait and see

Jan

I recently received information from Coaguchek. "The cost of the CoaguChek System is $1295.00; Visa, MasterCard, personal check, or money order may pay for the system. ... There is a training fee of $300.00. ... The cost for one box of 12 test strips and four sets of controls is $72.00 plus applicable sales tax."

I have a Coaguchek and rely on results over a lab. Before I had my machine my doc sent my blood to the wrong lab and the results were way off. We then had the two different labs (the two largest in the states) test the same blood draw and they were a full point different. He was surprised. My doc stopped lab testing and now uses a coaguchek.

When there is a difference people generally look at the machine. I also recommend you look at the lab. I have zero confidence in labs.

I've come to the conclusion, at least at the lab I go to, that if 2 veinous samples are taken, they will both have different results. Maybe I'm just nuts, (Don't answer that!) but it sure seems like that is the case.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments

$1295 does seem a lot of money but what price peace of mind,

i was told the cost here in the UK was £ 400 ( $600 )

I will call the UK office and ask.

I have been led too believe that the test strips may be available on my pre paid prescription plan,

Hows it going Ross?

Is the chat still going on on Sunday? if so what time?

Keep smiling

Jan

Latest posts

Back