Cmcherry's Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Charlie.....you will be in our prayers this week, as will your family. Try not to worry (easier said than done) and that is coming from someone who is a worrier!!!

Best wishes,

Evelyn and Tyce

Hi Charlie-

Tomorrow's the big day! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Everything will be fine and before you can even imagine, you'll be up and walking the hospital corridors. Keep your nightie closed!!:D :D

Bon Voyage! Talk to you later.

Best Wishes !

Best Wishes !

Best Wishes and prayers coming your way for a successful surgery and a quick recovery Charlie
Scottie

Home yet?

Home yet?

Hi Charlie, Today is Monday the 26th. Bet you came home from St. Joseph's today. Wish you had mentioned which hospital in Atlanta and we had the same doctors too...I could have told you it would be fine. What a wonderful place to be..so much care..You will see one of the doctor's in 3 weeks. My surgeon was Dr. Brown but saw 2 different doctors after surgery...mainly their attractive nurses...just as smart as their bosses:D :D Let us hear from you. Bonnie

Hindsight Accomplished!

Hindsight Accomplished!

Thanks for all your support:D :D :D :D :D
Things went as expected; more or less.

The preliminary heart cath showed the coronaries of a "25 year old man" with no blockages. The doctor, who looked to me like he was ready for bungie jumping, later recommended Lipitor (I've refused pending further discussion with my Cardiologist).

The next day (20Aug) repeatedly accelerated and I was quickly moved from 3rd to 1st. Fortunately everyone stalled and I saw my bride (10 yrs) prior to surgery - barely around 10A. I received a SJM aortic valve, but have not received the details yet (a bit annoying).:mad:

ICU folk were great and I was sitting at 1:30 the next morning and returned to the Cardiac Wing later that day. Of course they started me walking.

I started at 184 lbs, returned at 199, and now about 188. I had a temp of 101.4 but no cultures resulted and it subsided. My Hct dipped to 23, but no transfusion was made (acutely anemeic; I'm bouncing back!). :cool:

Originally I was told I was headed home Sat, but then kept due to my temp episode (which was already over). Actually came home Sun, but had to convince Dr. Weekend that my black stool was likely all the IRON supplements they'd given me (no other signs of bleeding). It was WONDERFUL to get home and such JOY of being with family very cool. :D :cool: :p :) Recliner worked great last night!

Today was a followup Pro-Time and cell count draw. Even did a little shopping to get a new electric razor - I was chided severely for actually shaving after the surgery:rolleyes: I also ordered a walking stick (my great uncle from WW1 called his a dog stick) to add that extra support.

Certainly much remains to heal and strengthen, but my hindsight has been accomplished. I look forward with determination to regaining (and exceeding) my past accomplishments. Wireless laptop has certainly helped me get this out but I'm tiring... More later :eek:

You are doing great

You are doing great

Charlie, You sound like you are doing great. I didn't want to talk on phone, must less type for a few days.I. too. had a walking cane..but it will be a few more days before you need to be out in this heat. You do live in Georgia?..But walk, walk, walk, in the house and maybe a mall later. Keep on doing good. Bonnie

hi charlie!
just got back and saw your post.... sounds like you are well on your way to a fine recovery. great news!!!!
i am so happy for you and your family. wishing you a continued, uneventful recovery.
be well, sylvia

Last edited:
Congratulations Charlie, Glad to hear you're home and that everything went well. Wishing you all the best for a speedy and uneventful recovery. Keep up the good work and continue to keep us posted.:D

Hi Charlie-

Delighted to hear that everything went AOK. How great that you're home and in good spirits.

Congratulations on a very successful surgery!

Hi Charlie,

Sounds like you did well. I too was anemic following my surgery. It took several weeks for my blood count to get back to normal. This will also sap some of your energy so be sure to pace yourself, i.e. walk when you feel up to it and rest when your body tells you it's time.

If your insurance company will cover Cardiac Rehab, I highly recommend it. It took me several weeks to get it approved and then find an opening in the schedule so I didn't get to start until week 12. Most patients begin around week which seems like a good point in the recovery process.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery !

'AL'

same hospital

same hospital

Sounds like you did great! I am planning avr middle of october at St. Josephs as well. I am meeting with Dr. Doug Murphy next Wednesday. Did you wake up in ICU with tubes still in place? How was your pain managed? Do you live near the hospital or did you have to travel? I live in South Carolina it is a four hour drive for us. Did you see the same surgeon every day to check on you or did they send another one? I noticed you said you needed a cane and so did Granbonny is that just to steady yourself? It seems like it would hurt pressing down on it. Thanks for you input. Queenie

Wonderful, you make it sound like a "piece of cake." It is great to read such upbeat and positive postings.
We all wish you continued rapid recovery with no setbacks. Your little girls need their daddy back to 100% ASAP and you seem to be ahead of schedule.

Best of Luck.

Tired but determined!

Tired but determined!

I've had a couple 'lower days' dealing with gross insomnia and constipation, but feel I'm turning the corner now. All the new drugs since the hospital have taken a bit of adjustment. Of course some of them are the problem, so I've been adapting.

My wife notes I seem so pale, but she's been great at stoking the furnace to help change that. Cardiac rehab hasn't been mentioned yet, but I've been doing exercises (breathing, arms, chest). I see the docs next week for follow-ups.

My girls have been great and helped daddy with the 'things lower than easily reached' in particular. I knew we had kids for a reason. ;)

Hi Charlie...YOU SOUND GREAT!!!! So glad everything went well. Keep up the walking and spirometer. Tyce was anemic, too....very common post op. Right now he's out waxing the trailer for our vacation next week....8 weeks postop....and feels GRRRRRRRREAT!!

Keep up the good work, you'll come around quickly.

Evelyn

At some point after bypass, I went to see my primary local dr - He passed me in the hall while I waited and he stopped, said "You look pale". He imediately wrote a rx for iron and that fixed it. Also, don't know if everybody knows, but pain medication brings on constipation. I found this out when my Joe had cancer and was on HEAVY pain meds.

Constipating Meds

Constipating Meds

Part of my solution to the pain meds was to stop taking them! :confused: A somewhat scary prospect, but my lungs have been clear with minimal coughing. It was suggested by the docs I could use Extra Strength Tylenol and I switched today - so far so good. If I feel the need I can always go back.

Several of my other meds, including Iron, are constipators.:( The recommended laxative (stool softener) didn't really work for me and I switched to Phillips MOM. Again, so far so good.

I've found I'm VERY sensitive to temperature (largely due to anemia). My wife laughs at how I add and shed clothes throughout the day.:rolleyes:

So much to learn in a constantly changing situation.:p

hi charlie!
you sound amazing!!!! i 'm so glad that thigns are going well (aside from the anemia and the temperature thing, etc).
i remember joey sweating one minute and freezing the next. we used to joke that he was perimenopausal!!!
i think it was also a side- effect of the anesthesia. it's amazing what that can do to one's body and system!
anyway, it's so good to hear you are doing really well.
all the best, sylvia

Amazing is right, 8 days post op and you give up the good drugs for Tylenol. Well if it works for you, that is great.

About the pain, does bearing down on the cane cause discomfort, I would think it would. In fact, one of the details I am struggling with pending my surgery and return to my home is finding a comfortable resting spot. Do you have much trouble getting down and back up from a recliner?

Is standing an uncomfortable position? Can you describe the worst and the best?

Your sharing is really appreciated, but I will understand if you don't want to analyze this to death for me..

Thanks

Latest posts

Back