Clueless about numbers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoMammy

I see a lot of you discuss gradients and size etc. I really want to inform myself more so I can speak more clearly with my cardiologist. Last time I was in she said some measurement was 8. It had been 6 before. I don't have a clue which valve (I have atrial and mitral issues) or what number she's measuring. I was intending to ask, but would rather arm myself with knowledge before my next appointment and then have better questions to ask.

thanks

The ACC guidelines are probably the most comprehensive source of informations for heart valve knowledge: http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/reprint/48/3/e1.pdf.

More than any non-professional could ever want to read or know, but specific to your question, check out the chart on page 16 (page e14 of the guidelines) for some of the more important measurements.

I think there may also be some sort of patient's guide to understanding echo reports linked somewhere on our site here, maybe someone else will chime in.

Back