Clicking and ticking!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkicar

I got a massage today at our local school of massage. Student massages are $30 for an hour, a pretty good deal!

The therapist was maybe 20, had been told about my mechanical valve but I guess it hadn't really sunk in....When she was behind my head (I was on my back) massaging my neck, the music in the room got quiet and she said "What's that ticking???". When I told her it was my heart valve she about lost it LOL. Not badly, but it definitely shook her up! She said she thought is was something she was doing that made the sound--nope, I said, just part of me. I hear it so much I don't even think about it!
Once she got used to the idea, we had a good laugh about it!

I had a similar experience recently. I worked in a university and we have student workers in our office (with pretty good hearing). I was leaning by a student looking at the computer screen and she got this funny look on her face and she started looking around. She said, 'what is that noise?" I said, "you mean the ticking?" I explained it and she asked if it was always that loud... fortunately only sometimes, depending on my position.

Ticking

Ticking

That is something I have always wondered just how loud the ticking is and what it sounds like. Your ticking must be reasonably loud for others to be able to hear it. It was probably the first time she had ever knowingly met someone with a prosthetic heart valve. :)

No fair.......

No fair.......

I wanna massage...............but what's with this she bull???? :D Hugs. J.

I do notice that many more young people comment on the ticking than older ones. One young lady said my watch really ticked fast (as if watches ticked at different speeds). Like Joe, I sometimes just say I don't hear anything because most of the time I don't hear it at all.

my experiences have been with nurses believe or not.. last year my cardiologist's new/young nurse was doing a ekg and heard it.. didn't know what it was.. I told her..mainly because I also wanted to watch her screen for my extra beats kick in (arythmia's) - i've also been the trophy patient.. "other" doctors showing me off to their assistants or nurses since apparently it's rare for them to have a young (semi - 39 now, surgery at 35) female with a lovely scar let alone clickin' and tickin' away.. i just laugh it off..

Chris

nurses

nurses

My dr always sends in the latest student to do the preliminary work. When I had the prolapse he wanted me to keep quiet and see if they could figure out what it is.

Now that I tick, I ask them isn't it amazing that my heart is in synch with my watch. Then the light bulb comes on in their head and they ask what it is or is that my heart. Pretty funny.

Ticking Too!

Ticking Too!

My Daughter is expecting her second child and her first, Tyler, came along to her Doctor appointments because she has no one to leave him with . The ultrasound tech was listening to the baby's heart. Then listened to Tyler's heart and his mom's heart. He wanted to know if the "lub-dub" was the heartbeat. The technician said,"Of course, everyone's heart goes Lub-dub". Tyler said, " No, my Grandma's goes tick tick" The technician tried to tell him he was wrong (he's only 3), but he insisted. My daughter noticed he was becoming upset and told the technician Tyler was right ; Grandma has a mechical valve and it goes tick tick!

My youngest nephew calls the sound my valves make my watch .his younger sister identifies me by my surgery scar. Scar was one of the first words she has learned to say, she is 14 months old. can you believe that. she can't say her btother's names but she can say scar.Babies will always surprise us.

lettitia

I have only had my valve for a month and had this experience last weekend when I had my A-fib episode....
The Cardio could hear the erratic beating/ticking from halfway across the floor as she entered the room...
Mum says the look on her face was priceless :D ...

Marty, thank you for that clever reply. I'm going to steal that one.

I remember when my daughter told me that she didn't like my watch because it ticked so loud (we were standing in an elevator). It took a while for it to sink in to both of us when I explained that I wasn't wearing a watch.

Now that I tick, I ask them isn't it amazing that my heart is in synch with my watch. Then the light bulb comes on in their head and they ask what it is or is that my heart. Pretty funny.

Latest posts

Back