Chronic Anemia -- Pre-Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzanneSLO

I have had chronic anemia. I knew about it for the past 20 or so years, but my Mom told me yesterday, that I have essentaily been anemic from the day I was born. My hemoglobin is low and my red cell distribution width is high. There is no obvious reason for the anemia. My GP has me on an iron supplement. My hemotologist speculated that my natural bi-cuspid aortic valve may be lysing the red blood cells.

Does anyone have any experience with this condition and how it relates to a choice between biological and mechanical valves? Thanks -- Suzanne

One and a half years ago I had my aortic valve replaced with a tissue valve. For about four years before I had surgery I was taking prescription iron because of low hematocrit and RBC. Then my doctor finally tested my blood for ferritin and my level was 618 and normal is 13-150. I had plenty of iron in my body but my body could not keep up making enough new blood cells that were being damage. After having surgery my blood count is normal but I still have too much ferritin and in January 2013 it was 360. Today I tried to give blood at Red Cross but my hemoglobin was 5.8 which is normal range. They will only let you donate blood if hemoglobin is 12.1 or higher. One way to lower my ferritin level is to give blood.
Six year breast cancer survivor & Aortic Valve Replacement Dr. Edward Chen, Emory University Hospital, 10-13-11 (Freestyle Modified Subcoronary Valve)

Latest posts

Back