Christopher's Post-Op F/up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylchapa

Went to see Dr. Gates (Surgeon) and Dr. Weiner (Peds Cardio) yesterday.

Dr. Gates said he is doing great. The incision is healing nicely. He got Chris to peel the steri-strip off all the way. Yay!! I hate those things. OK'd him for bathing and swimming in a private pool. No public pools for a few more weeks. OK'd him for back to school Aug. 20th.

Christopher's BP was 90/38. Dr. Weiner said Chris is dehydrated and anemic. Instructed him to take his iron pills and drink water whether he likes it or not. He is to drink a 2 liter of whatever caffeine-free stuff he wants in the next 2 days. Dr. Wiener mentioned diet soda but upon re-evaluation of Christopher's skin and bones shirtless appearance, recommended full-sugar drinks. LOL! And if he continues to refuse the iron pills and fluids, the choice will taken from him. I took that to mean he would be getting some shots or IV fluids. LOL! Good call Doc! He wants to do an echo before releasing him for school but Chris is still way to sore. So we scheduled a return visit next week. He will re-evaluate and possibly release him for school then.

He said the crushing chest pain he felt the other night was reasonable surgical healing pain. As long as his pulse is not racing (>180 bpm) then he's fine. The headaches are likely the result of dehydration and anemia. They should go away once he's hydrated and pumped up on iron. If they don't we'll re-evaluate then. He also suggested 500mg of tylenol immediately upon the first twinge of pain followed by 500mg of motrin or advil 2 hours later until the pain subsides.

He wants him to definitely get the H1N1 vaccine if it becomes available in Oct. He left the regular flu shot up to me. Chris has gotten sick the last few times he had the flu shot so we stopped doing them. Dr. Weiner is a bit concerned about a return to school because of the chance of getting a respiratory infection. He said you can count on him catching a cold right away the first week or so. GREAT! :(

We will talk about seeing an immunologist again in 6 months or so because they cannot do any tests until then anyway.

We are to begin a daily walking regimine today. He is to do what he feels comfortable with and no more.

Both doctors said his heart sounds like it should and his lungs are clear.

Cheryl, this all sounds like great news and I'm so happy for you and your family!
Fingers crossed that things continue to go well. Awesome!

Melissa

What wonderful news Cheryl!

Sounds like your Chris is recovering well & I hope that things just keep getting better & better as time goes by! Nice & slow does it. He will be good as new soon!!! :)

Oh, forgot to mention that Dr. Weiner said the new valve should last 7-10 years but the Melody valve should be widely available by then. So this could be his last OHS!

Defiantly sounds like a good report. Do not let him overdo it yet (good luck) because that is the worst thing you could do now. I hope the recovery stays in a positive light & is speedy so as not to stress you out to much. Good luck & God Bless.

Hi Cheryl,
Glad to hear that Chris is progressing. Brian was also very anemic and didn't tolerate the iron pills well. I finally got him IV iron and it made a massive difference in his energy levels.

Good news! Iron deficiency is common; normally it's an easy fix, but in a ten-year-old who doesn't want to co-operate, could be a different story - count every gram you get in him as a victory!

I just have to say - I read the title of the thread and I didn't get Follow Up from F/up. ;) Before I read it I thought something had gone terribly wrong with your son's surgery. I guess this tells you that my mind isn't the purest. ;) :)

I just have to say - I read the title of the thread and I didn't get Follow Up from F/up. ;) Before I read it I thought something had gone terribly wrong with your son's surgery. I guess this tells you that my mind isn't the purest. ;) :)

OMG Karlynn! I didn't even think about that! F/up is what we use at work for follow up. Sometimes we call it FLUP becasue that's what it looks like written down. Sorry to scare you like that!

Great news Cheryl,

I'm so glad to hear that Christopher is feeling well and is getting back to "normal". 7-10 years would be a nice break before having to deal with this again, huh?

Best wishes!

Latest posts

Back