Christmas presents

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbrn

For Christmas this year we decided to pick names. I got dad's name. I am sure that he does not really care a whole lot about Christmas this year. The one thing in this world that he wants he can not have, his wife of 52 years. He is talking about starting an exercise program of walking and using a stationary bicycle. I thought about getting him a journal to write down his work outs. Does any one know of one that I can find? Or does anyone have any other ideas. I thought about getting him a gift certificate to a local restaurant also.

Debbie

My own Mom passed away after 49 years of marriage to my Dad and I remember
that Christmas being so incredibly difficult. It seemed that every bite of food, every opening of a gift,
and every song on the stereo would prompt one of us to well up with tears.
When giving gift certs to restaurants please make sure to call and arrange to go with him in the New Year.
Or some Dads would like a monthly subscription to book clubs, movie clubs, etc.
It took my Dad a couple of years before he would join a dinner club of seniors who meet monthly to try
out new restaurants. I also encouraged him to join the local yacht club as a social member and now he owns a
beauty of a sailboat.
Best wishes.

Debbie,

I remember Christmas 2002 all too well. Gram had died that previous October, just about the time I joined VR ... and I found out I had to have another open heart surgery in early January 2003.

Of all of us, it seemed that Gramps took Gram's death better than anyone else. Prior to her death, he always told us to "go visit your mother ... she needs you more than I do." Then, he'd trek himself into another room, most often the bedroom, where he'd take a nap. After her death, particularly starting that Christmas, he was talkative and wanted to know what was going on with everyone, etc. ... it was as if he had known that he'd have the family to himself for a while....

At any rate ... hunting for Christmas gifts for him was challenging. However, over the course of the next year or so, it became easier ... because we simply bought him things he used every day. And he enjoyed receiving that stuff (mints, kleenex, chocolate "drops", socks, etc.) as much ... if not more so ... than anything else. I also gave him some books and pictures.....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |
** RadioShow.CDshowcase.HOLIDAY | Friday | 12.24.2010 | noon-4p.CENTRAL = www.WRMN1410.com **
"Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree" ... Elvis Presley ... 'Blue Christmas'

Latest posts

Back