chf

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHerrin Hutt

In have been in and out of the hosp. Chf and no matter what I do every couple weeks it's back. I watch my salt in take and fluid in take. I wake in the morning with my face and eyes puffy. And the rest of my body is puffy too!

Looking at your fact sheet there is nothing telling what medicines you are on for the CHF. After being treated by the local cardiologist for some time and not getting better we took my husband to the Cleveland Clinic and he was seen in their CHF clinic. When his doctor there reviewed the list of his meds she said you are on the wrong beta blocker, that being Atenalol. You should be taking either Coreg or Toprol XL and in two weeks you will feel a whole lot better. Two weeks it was and he felt a LOT better!! We were amazed!

His diuretic had just been changed from Lasix and Aldactone to Bumex also.

He also had kidney failure (27%) That was over a year ago and his kidney function increased to 38% and now is at 50% which is normal for a man of 86. Unfortunately his story does not end there; in Dec he had a pet scan and is full of cancer from his thyroid to his pelvis and most all points inbetween. He has chosen not to go the chemo route and is having a good quality of life right now with no pain for which we are most thankful.

I hope you find some help soon. I don't know why the "local yokels" as I call them don't know as much about the proper meds but that's why so many end up at Cleveland Clinic!

Keep an eye on this situation! These are all signs of CHF, but I think you know that already! If you are on diurectics, perhaps you need a combination of more than one, Lasix and Bumex, but this will be up to your dr to decide.

Good luck to you & hope you visit with your cardio soon!

Sorry to read this. I was just reading a current thread from Harrybaby too, that was talking about a chf problem he's been having too, and it seemes to be brought on by a certain medication, if I'm explaining this properly. Do you have a minute to look at his current thread? I think he said diltiazem was what was making him worse.

Aye, Sherrin ... that doesn't sound good.

Thoughts/prayers en route.....

Cort | 36.m.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * 07/24/2010=ChitownMeet #3 *
MCs.Caprice | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RTs.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Nobody likes to be let down" ... Jack Johnson ... 'Flake'

Chf

Chf

I am sill having problems with chf they have changed the meds several times just seems to make thing worse. I have been Cleveland Clinic some time ago.I just hate draging my husband with me. I have been to the ER so many times that he just drops me off and I call him when I find anything ! I have had CHF in the past but wasn't a big problem. My injection is down too 30 percent. My famiy Dr. sends me papers on joining the YMCA , I lucky if I can bend over to tie my shoes. I am going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, too, have CHF but I am doing well. My EF went from 20% to 50% in one year. I go to a special CHF clinic outside of Philadelphia and they monitor my drugs, blood work, etc. I was going every 2 weeks but have now graduated and only go if I feel that my blood pressure is getting too low or am starting to retain water. From everything I have learned and read the most important thing you can do is be on the correct regimen of meds. It took quite a while for the docs to regulate my meds but once regulated I just got better and better. I take digoxen, coreg, spironalactone, diovan and lasik as needed (which isn't very often). The trick is getting the dosage just right for you so you feel ok. My only problem is that my blood pressure will drop very low sometimes (75/50 or in the 80s) and then I stop my morning dose of diovan for a couple of days.

You haven't said what meds you are currently taking. It might help if you ask your cardiologist if there is a CHF clinic in your area that you can work with. My clinic is affliliated with a large suburban hospital, Abington Hospital, but even they will send me to Univ of PA CHF clinic if I were to get in real trouble.

Good luck and I hope your feeling better soon. I know how terrible it feels to not be able to walk, or climb stairs and just live your life normally.

Barb

Have they put you on Zaroxolyn yet? That is a heavy duty diuretic that enhances the effect of Lasix. You take it a half hour before your Lasix and then sit near the bathroom. It can shed fluid fast. I agree that a CHF clinic would be a very good idea.

Joe had CHF to the extreme for many, many years. I know how uncomfortable you must be.

hi sherrin,
so sorry to hear about this. hope things get better. CC or CHF clinic is not a bad idea, considering nothing else seems to be doing the trick.
please let us know if anything changes.
thinking of you and wishing you all the best,
sylvia
btw, my dad has chf (under control with use of lasix and a nearby bathroom).

Latest posts

Back