Chest cracking and tiny bumps on sternum scar...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T in YVR

Hey everyone,

I am about 9.5 mo. post op. and have noticed that my chest is cracking a bit more than it used to earlier on. Without fail, every day, it cracks probably 4-5 times (kind of like a knuckle cracking feeling/sound, but a bit less pronounced in terms of the noise). It doesn't hurt, I feel fine etc. It usually happens when I rotate/turn, or expand my rib cage a bit (like stretching or deep breath).

Additionally, when I run my finger down my scar, I can feel little, tiny, hard bumps in a few spots - they are not visible; you can only identify them by touch. They don't hurt, but were not as pronounced earlier on within the first few months post op. I assume it is sternum wiring?

Not sure if these are things to worry about, whether they will last long term, or if this is more of a "settling in" as your body continues to adapt to the rude intrusion it experienced :).... I get an echo and see my cardiologist next month and will ask at that time, but wanted to check with all you experienced valvers here first.

Anyone else notice these things change several months after your surgery?

Thanks,
Tony

Hi

.... and have noticed that my chest is cracking a bit more than it used to earlier on. Without fail, every day, it cracks probably 4-5 times (kind of like a knuckle cracking feeling/sound, but a bit less pronounced in terms of the noise).

certainly my last two OHS's (was really to young at 10 to remember the first well) did that. It was a bit like a knuckle crack, but not as loud as my knuckles are. I asked my surgeon on the first occasion and he said its 'normal' ... when it happened this time I just remembered it from the last time and thought little of it (perhaps I mentioned it, can't be sure).

Additionally, when I run my finger down my scar, I can feel little, tiny, hard bumps in a few spots - they are not visible; you can only identify them by touch.

yep, I concur, probably the sternal wires. Are you "less endowed" with body fat?

Mine (second time) ended up needing removal as my tumbles and rolls in Aikido gradually flexed things so that the wires became more pronounced. Took a few years and was only uncomfortable if someone jabbed the wire directly. Removal was relatively painless and I noted that it started the crackling again for a few months.

From what you say, its nothing to get concerned about :)

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't think after 9 months the chest would be still cracking and would ask the doctor. It doesn't hurt to get it checked out and get an x-ray done.
The bone should already be healed.

I'm not sure about the cracking, but my doctor did tell me that the bumps that I was feeling at the scar were either sternum wiring or ends of the stitches. He said not to worry about that, unless the stitches would start to come out of the skin, then you had to get them removed.

Mine definitely cracked regularly for more than a year. Of course, the bone itself was knit long since. The cracking must come from the connective tissues or from around the rib joints with the sternum. Don't forget, splitting the sternum is only step one, spreading causes all sorts of strain on an assembly which was never meant to move like that!
I am also on the thin side, and also have fairly pronounced wire bumps. Once in a while I take a hit on one, or lean on it wrong and it still smarts 5 years later, but most of the time I don't even notice them.

Agree with yotphix; most likely you are getting cracking from the sternocostal joints between the sternum and the ribs. I also have the little bumps, which I am sure are the wires. Have a couple of little mobile nodules over a couple of the wires as well, creating another little bump that can be moved around with my finger. Hope that helps.

Back