Checking Back in a Month Before Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob in Colorado

Hi All.

It has been months since I joined and participated in some great discussions about valve replacement choices. Life got in the way on regular participation. This is a terrific forum and is a great support to those of us that have to deal with this stuff.

As a refresher - I had a bicuspid aortic valve (like many on here) and had a homograft in March of 2000 at age 48 at the Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Sabik. All went well until gradual deterioration started at about year 6 or 7. Now I have severe regurgitation and some starting of stenosis. I have always been quite active but now can definitely fell the familiar symptoms of over exertion, chest pressure, and blood "whooshing" sounds in my ears.

I am scheduled to go back to Cleveland in September and have a re-operation. After much research and consideration, I am choosing a mechanical valve - though I recovered well from the first surgery, I am not looking forward to this second and *really* don't want to have a third if I can help it!

My Colorado cardiologist recommends the SJM but I am inclined to the On-X - I guess I like their sales pitch and I can recognize what I do believe are improvements in design and technology. Dr Pettersson on Cleveland will do the surgery. I am planning to have a consultation with him later this month.

Right now I would arrive on September 7th for a few days of tests before surgery n the 11th. I just wanted to jump back in here to say hello.

Bob in Colorado

Hi Bob, heading for Cleveland myself on 9/8 tests 9,10,11, surgery 14th Bill-Florida

Wow Bill. Let's make a point to meet up. Who is your surgeon? What are your plans? Jeanette, good idea. we'll ask about the room discount and the two-for-one special.

Latest posts

Back