Channel 4 uk open heart surgery questions feedback

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deano89

just had another go at trying to view this operation, but found these feedback questions on the site instead this one in particular strikes a cord as i am due to have full cracking open, although it scares me i find myself agreeing with the reasoning, just wondered what others think who have had either method

Why do they still need to open up the whole ribcage? Why can't they use keyhole surgery for this? (via Twitter)

http://www.channel4.com/explore/surgerylive/discuss4.html

Why do they still need to open up the whole ribcage? Why can't they use keyhole surgery for this? (via Twitter)
'And this is why the minimally invasive surgery which people keep talking about is not good for you, because to get the level of perfection that we're trying to get here, you simply can't do it through minimal-access surgery, and what happens to patients in 30 years' time after the repair is what matters, not how they are three weeks after the operation.

'Again, a very good example of how with minimal-access surgery, you simply couldn't do this operation satisfactorily. As you can see I'm not a fan of it, it's a bit like wallpapering the front hall through the letterbox. You know, we can do it, but would you like the results? And I think that very much of minimal-access surgery.'

Frank Wells, Cardiothoracic surgeon, Papworth Hospital (while operating)

That is the answer in a nutshell.

Wow, quite a video. It amazes me that they can do all this fine work is such a confined space but guess that's why they do heart surgery and I do not. After watching this operation it makes me wonder why there aren't more failures as everything looks fragile once you get inside. Very, very interesting.

I can only speak for myself but if offered the full 'crack open the ribcage' or the minimal approach I would ask for the full opening. I want the surgeon to have the very best access with the minimum amount of difficulty. If it is easier for him/her to have a wide area in which to work then that is fine with me. I don't care that my scar is nine and a half inches.

I've had both methods, first one being through the ribs, and for my particular situation I have to agree with the wallpapering theory. My valve looked pretty stellar in the OR, but three months later was leaking again, so I ended up with the big scar anyways.

I had minimally invasive and have absolutely no complaints. Im getting towards 18 months post op and have no issues (knock knock). Recovery for everyone is different. I was back at work in 5 weeks. Age, fitness level, weight all play into it. I had my procedure at Cleveland Clinic and my surgeon (Gosta Pettersson) was VERY comfortable using the mini-technique. I think if your only having your aortic valve worked on then a mini is a great option. But if your having anything beyond that I would say a full chest crack is in order. Most importantly is how comfortable is your surgeon with the technique ? If he/she is new to it, then I might have a few additional reservations.

I had minimally invasive and have absolutely no complaints. Im getting towards 18 months post op and have no issues (knock knock). Recovery for everyone is different. I was back at work in 5 weeks. Age, fitness level, weight all play into it. I had my procedure at Cleveland Clinic and my surgeon (Gosta Pettersson) was VERY comfortable using the mini-technique. I think if your only having your aortic valve worked on then a mini is a great option. But if your having anything beyond that I would say a full chest crack is in order. Most importantly is how comfortable is your surgeon with the technique ? If he/she is new to it, then I might have a few additional reservations.

Consider yourself blessed. Many will not be as lucky. ;)

well if the main thing is to avoid more surgery, i like you sue would only opt for full opening now! . Haley sorry to hear yours had to be redone, just begs the question if you had it done the first time with full opening wether you would have had to have a reop. just wonder if there are any figures for the long term success rates of full stern verses minimal

just to clarify, minimally invasive doesn't mean keyhole. I had a mini-AVR and my incision was about 5 inches long versus 8 for the full sternectomy. The difference is that they didn't completely separate my sternum, there was some cutting of the breastplate but not a total cut.

well if the main thing is to avoid more surgery, i like you sue would only opt for full opening now! . Haley sorry to hear yours had to be redone, just begs the question if you had it done the first time with full opening wether you would have had to have a reop. just wonder if there are any figures for the long term success rates of full stern verses minimal

Yes, that was the nagging question for a long time, although I've since made peace with it and let it go... we'll just never know.

My brother, who is a surgeon, had MV repair surgery two years prior to mine. When the same surgeon who did his (successfully) told me he could go through my ribs, I called my brother and in my little sister way told him, ha ha, I don't have to have the big scar! He replied that maybe with him our surgeon wanted to do a good job! Man, why do big brother's always win? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back