Celebrate by Running

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Sorry I haven't been around in a while. Popped in to share that I celebrated Thanksgiving with a 7 mile run and celebrated my 6th valve anniversary with an 8-mile run yesterday. Life is good. Praise the Lord!

Congrats Tommy!

Congrats Tommy!

By the way, we have the 2007 marathon relay post up - it's way early but like you, was in a mood to celebrate! It does feel good to run. Mark

Pretty cool. I usually do something similar if the anniversary falls on a weekend.

You made me go check my run log to see how I celebrated my valve anniversary last July. The runs that week were 4,4,0,3,3,8,4. Guess which one was the anniversary day. No, not the eight, the zero.

There's a marathon relay in Albany, NY on Feb 25 which has 3 legs (9.2, 5.7, 11.3 miles). Entry is only $20 per team.

http://www.hmrrc.com/View/PDFs/RaceApplicaitons/3prelay06.pdf

The weather can be either cold and windy or colder and windier. It would be a good training run for the Antarctic marathon. If anyone is close by, give me a shout. I could organize a team there too.

It's an interesting time for me. I'm busier than I want to be but unwilling to give up anything. Truly a blessing. Sooner or later I'll reach a point where I do everything "equally poorly".:rolleyes: The harder I work, the more I need the exercise.

Ran a local 5k this weekend. Despite trying to catch-up over Thanksgiving, my time was slower than 6 weeks ago, but not by much. Here's a race report:

Cold 25F overnight.
Chilly 35F at the start.
No wind.
Wore long sleeves and long pants with a windbreaker and head band.
Strapped on the HRM and set it for 150-160 BPM
Shed the head band and windbreaker half-way through.

Mile 1 9:19 149 BPM 76% Max
Mile 2 9:29 155 BPM 80% Max
Mile 3.1 9:59 160 BPM 85% Max
Total time 28:47 9:17 Pace

Max HR 172 BPM 95% Max
4 minute recovery HR 108 64% Max

It's odd that my Mile 2 performance didn't follow the expected trend, but I chalk it up to my always taking 2 miles to warm up.

Otherwise the HR strategy continues to serve me well. Regardless of how well (or poorly) I prepare for an event, the HR is my throttle. Also, I better sensing my perceived exertion more in sync with the HR. I glanced at the monitor only a few times and Voila! I was right on target!

Feel fine afterward. Christmas decorating contortions without stiffness.

The young man that I did a Tri with 2 months ago also did this 5k. We were chatting about HR's. He commented that he doesn't take his Resting Rate early in the morning because he doesn't want to strap on his HRM. The obvious suggestion would be to explain how to take your pulse. Instead, I told him that I just have to be quiet and listen to mine click. After his jaw dropped, I explained the valve.

Will join a marathon relay team with church folks for White Rock this weekend. I'll run the 15-20 mile leg that played with my head in previous marathons. This time I shall conquer it, not endure it! :D

Local sprint tri Feb 25th is next training goal. Need to get cracking, because I've been away from the bike and the pool too long. They are using a different tri format - more on that in another post.

I successfully got my resting HR (57) a couple days ago but it's very difficult to do. When I first wake up, I turn over to face the alarm clock 'til it flips over to a new minute, then I listen intently to the clicking and start counting, one, two, three... 15 minutes later I try it again. It can take me an hour or more to get it.

I never learned to train with a HR monitor. I "feel" the pace. I'm not even sure what my max HR should be and the beta blocker artificially limits it any way. Some years ago I had a habit of skipping the metropolol the day before a race in order to get the max HR up and thus the race pace. It made quite a difference. I haven't done that in a long time though.

I was a USAT&F level 1 coach from 1990-95, about the time HR monitors began to become popular with the masses. I used to coach people on how to "feel" the pace to race effectively with sprints and tempo runs and it worked quite well. But as time moved forward, fewer wanted to learn how to train that way and became very dependent on the HR device to tell them when they were exerting at the correct level. I stopped coaching around that time so I never got with the new programs.

Good post Tom. Good run too and a great time. I don't think I could run in weather that cold anymore. I just don't function well under 60*.
Keep up the good work. Your posts always inspire me.

Way to go Tom!!!

Way to go Tom!!!

You inspire me....to go WALK (and run in 1 minute spurts) on my treadmill. ;) That's the best (I) can do!! But you GO!!!

Christina L

Latest posts

Back