Cardios Who Know Not What They Speak!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVELYN

Hi All
We just got back from the cardio today from Tyce's INR test and his 6 month ekg......Now you have to know I really really like our cardio!!! All was well except that his INR was 5.5.

Ok, we're fine with that and we know that if Tyce reduces his 5mg to 2.5 for one dayhe is usually within range the next week. WELL, the cardio says....are you ready for this one...."I want you to hold your 5 mg. for two days!!!!!" That would instantly put Tyce in the basement and who knows where else.

Of course we yessssssssed him and both looked at each other and said....Not!!!!!

Is it us or does everyone have these problems!!!!!

Evelyn

Evelyn,
Please disregard my cynicism, but isn't your title redundant?;)

cardios + speech=*%&*& (jibberish)

Sounds like Dick's cardio who asked Dick with the cow valve how he was doing on the Coumadin. :(

When I told my cardiologist several years ago I was not going to bother him with dose adjustments anymore but would self dose he said "fine". I havn't consulted him since on this issue and we are both happy.I really think warfarin is a pain for these guys who are saving lives every day in the ER, ICU,etc. If you can't find a guy like Al you better learn to take care of your self.

Hi Marty

And we would still be dosing ourselves if they hadn't recalled the da..ed strips!!!! We're now forced to go to the cardio until we get approval on a new machine from our insurances.....or until Roche decides to distribute strips....OR UNTIL THE COWS COME HOME, whatever comes first!!

Ev

I was on Coumadin after being cardioverted for A-fib while I was waiting for my operation (I was stablized with drugs so was no longer in A-fib, but was on Coumadin just in case). Then after my operation I was on it for another 11 months. My surgeon said 3 months, but my cardio wanted to make sure I didn't go back into A-fib (long story).

That being explained, I have to say that the Montreal Heart Institute was great because they have an anticoagulation clinic at the hospital where there are a few doctors who take care of anticoagulation matters all the time and seem to know what they are doing. It was a real pain going there because it is about 40 to 45 minutes from my house, and once there there was a long wait to get the blood test, and then a long wait to see the doctor (you could call in the next day, but I prefered seeing the doctor). I have to admit that it would have been awful had I still been working (I am retired) and had to get there at the crack of dawn before going to work, but I will say, they knew what they were doing.

"S" strips

"S" strips

Evelyn,

S Strips are available in Canada. I have read that some Americans order and receive drugs (the legal kind) from Canada and I wonder why not strips.

Qc Error!

Qc Error!

Just when I thought I had all the answers- or at least that my INRatio did; I received a Quality Control error when I tested about an hour ago.
( SATURDAY 2:00 PM EST) I called support in California and got a call right back.( nice). No definite answer ? bad strip,?bad control,? bad stick ( I don't think so!), ?monitor on the blink( will get new set of strips and if it happens again may need to send my monitor in for a checkup).

Ross said:
Marty it happens from time to time. Seldom, but it does happen.
Thanks for commiserating Ross. It was my last strip in a pack I'd had around for a few months. My finger is a little sore and my pride is wounded but we will keep on keepin' on. I'll let you know how it works out with the new packet of strips I will order Monday.

Monitor repairable?

Monitor repairable?

If it is that's great--I hope the turn around time not a deterrent.

The one and only time I had an error message on my monitor I phoned the manufacturer, did a few diagnostics with them over the phone and determined my monitor was broken and unrepairable. Until now I thought none of them could be repaired.

Cheers

lance said:
If it is that's great--I hope the turn around time not a deterrent.

The one and only time I had an error message on my monitor I phoned the manufacturer, did a few diagnostics with them over the phone and determined my monitor was broken and unrepairable. Until now I thought none of them could be repaired.

Cheers

Hi Lance, did you have a Hemosense INRatio? Did they say it could not be fixed? Did you have to buy a new monitor? If so, how much? Thanks Marty

Coaguchek S unrepairable

Coaguchek S unrepairable

Hi Marty,

The heating element wore out on my S at the time of the problem with the S strip so it was replaced with the XS for $500 CDN. and my origianl unit had to be returned to them.

The problem occurred on a Monday a.m. and the replacement was in my hands on Thursday--4 days later. Repair of the S would have taken longer had it been repairable so I'm happy with the way things turned out.

I hope your experience with your monitor is as good.

Marty, too bad you didn't have another box of strips to run another test and set you mind at ease. If you've had your machine for a while and have already done many tests on it, I would think it's just a fluke.

lance said:
Hi Marty,

The heating element wore out on my S at the time of the problem with the S strip so it was replaced with the XS for $500 CDN. and my origianl unit had to be returned to them.

The problem occurred on a Monday a.m. and the replacement was in my hands on Thursday--4 days later. Repair of the S would have taken longer had it been repairable so I'm happy with the way things turned out.

I hope your experience with your monitor is as good.

Lance, Very interesting. Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll keep you informed as to how this comes out. Marty

Karlynn said:
Marty, too bad you didn't have another box of strips to run another test and set you mind at ease. If you've had your machine for a while and have already done many tests on it, I would think it's just a fluke.

Hi Karlynn, I ordered new strips today. I hope its just a bad strip and the new box corrects the problem. My monitor is now about two years old and has never given me QC error until now.I'll keep you informed. Marty

Two Years and worn out

Two Years and worn out

Hi Marty,

Mine wore out at the 2-year mark after weekly tests. Coincidental?

I wonder if we have the same Cardio?
JK
I feel better about mine now that I know yours knows as much as mine seems to. I really feel mine is trying more now.
Deno

Hi Deno

I believe he flies back and forth weekly!!!!

Just thought I'd update everyone onTyce's INR.
As you know, Tyce was 5.5 last week.....Cardio's orders....hold his 5 mg for two days....NOT ONE, BUT TWO... and then continue on his 5 mg. for the rest of the week and recheck this past Friday. WELL, knowing what we know from this forum we didn't follow that plan.......

Instead, Tyce took 2.5 mg. last Friday when he tested 5.5, 5 the rest of the week except for this past Tuesday when he took another 2.5.....and VOILA, YESTERDAY HE WAS A HAPPY 2.8.......I think he would have been fine if he had only reduced the warfarin by the one dose, but either way, he's in range, the cardio thinks he's wonderful and on it goes.......

Thanks for listening.

Ev

EVELYN said:
Hi Deno

I believe he flies back and forth weekly!!!!

Just thought I'd update everyone onTyce's INR.
As you know, Tyce was 5.5 last week.....Cardio's orders....hold his 5 mg for two days....NOT ONE, BUT TWO... and then continue on his 5 mg. for the rest of the week and recheck this past Friday. WELL, knowing what we know from this forum we didn't follow that plan.......

Instead, Tyce took 2.5 mg. last Friday when he tested 5.5, 5 the rest of the week except for this past Tuesday when he took another 2.5.....and VOILA, YESTERDAY HE WAS A HAPPY 2.8.......I think he would have been fine if he had only reduced the warfarin by the one dose, but either way, he's in range, the cardio thinks he's wonderful and on it goes.......

Thanks for listening.

Ev

I see a PROBLEM for OTHER patients of that Cardio.

Now he (thinks he) has CONFIRMATION that HIS PLAN WORKED!

Do everyone of his patients a service and 'FESS UP' to how Tyce REALLY got back in range.

If you really want to be bold, show him a copy of AL Lodwick's Dosing Guide!

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back