cardiologist and the ugly truth

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail in Ca

Hi All
Saw my cardio the other day a week after my echo.
I mentioned that I can't exercise like I did when I had the porcine valve for 11 yrs. I thought it was the mechanical that was making the difference. But ever the realist, my cardiologist said my stamina is less because my mitral is leaking moderate to severe and it's good that I exercise regularly so I will know when I feel like I am having difficulty with it. It always takes me a few days to get over the Dr. visit and forget about my leaky mitral, good thing I only see him once a year.
Gail

Hi Gail...sorry to see that your visit to the cardiologist wound up being a downer for you. I can completely relate...it's a reminder of all that we've been through and the things we have to pay attention to. They can really weigh on your mind.

Hang in there, you've got lots of company here!

Johnny

Hi Gail-

I'm so sorry to hear about your mitral valve. However, it's good to know the real reasons for not feeling as well as you want. It sounds as if your cardiologist is right on top of things and will take good care of you. Never give up or give in. You know there are fixes for all this stuff, if it comes to that.

Take care and God Bless.

Your valve is leaking that bad after replacement? When did you have it repalced? I just had mine replaced a month ago and its apparently not working correctly and is too small. Sorry to hear that. I can exercise so much better now with my St Judes even after only 4 weeks Im walking at least a mile every day. I could never have done that before my surgery. I guess I should mention I had a repair on the mitral valve 2 years ago and it started leaking badly 6 months later. I know its frustrating. I guess Im lucky, when I have an echo my cardiologist sits down with me and we review the tape together right afterwards so I dont have to wait til another day. he is a very good dr. Good luck to you.

Gail in CA

Gail in CA

Sorry about the news you recieved, but I love the doctors that are the blunt no nonsense kind.

Most don't have any kind of decent bedside manner.
The condesending ones, who think you can't possibly understand, are the ones that annoy me.

If your really unhappy with him, switch doctor, I've done it several times in the pass 20 years, and for the pass 8 I've been very happy with my final choice.

Terry40

hi gail,
i'm so sorry that your mitral valve is leaking.
atleast they found the reason why you are not feeling as well as you should be.
hope all this gets taken care of quickly and easily.
my thoughts are with you,
sylvia

Thanks all for your support. I just returned from Tahoe where I didn't ski! but had a wonderful time just the same.
My cardio has known about my mitral since before my surgery, and it was to be fixed or replaced when my avr was done but I was in too bad of shape to have it replaced which is what it needs eventually. My doc says there is no evidence that it is hurting my heart yet so will wait until he says it's time. hopefully many years from now.
I feel so much better now!
Gail

Latest posts

Back