Cardiac Rehab?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

Is cardiac rehabilitation after OHS time well spent or a waste of time? Everything I've read sounded very encouraging and I fully assumed after my valve replacement my doctor would send me to rehab. I was actually looking forward to it, all the while thinking okay right now I'm healing but once I do rehab is when I'll really put myself on the path to recovery! Well I'm a little over 4 weeks postoperative and I saw my cardiologist this week. He doesn't think I need cardiac rehab?.. I was shocked and disappointed. But I'm wondering if in my head I've made rehabilitation out to be more than it is. Yes I'm young (44) and in very good health, but is rehab only for elderly sickly patients? I'm considering going back to my doctor and ask him to reconsider sending me. My best possible health outcome is my only priority right now. I've prepared everything for this surgery for years. I got the best health insurance and pay a hefty price for it. I got a disability policy to pay me while I'm out of work and paid into it for ten years! I've cleared taking as much time as I need from my employer. Done everything I could to let nothing stand in my way of getting the best care and best recovery. and now it's like I don't get to follow through.

Have I over done it? It seems to you can't possibly in this situation...

I did 10 sessions of rehab. The program is 36 sessions total. By the time I started rehab at four months post op I had already pretty much recovered but I wanted to do at least some of the program to check it out and to see if it would be of benefit to me. I am 66-1/2. For my rehab I had to do an exercise stress test so that they could assess my physical condition, I suppose. I passed the stress test they told me. This helped them establish my target heart rate for exercise...in my case 95-105 BPM. What I found was that the sessions did not make me work very hard initially. I asked for more intense workouts and they did up my settings on the various exercise machines so that I was working harder but still I felt as though I wasn't getting much real benefit out of it. Most of the other people there were seniors who seemed to be overweight and perhaps leading relatively sedentary lives. That's not me. By the time I entered rehab I was already back to walking 4 to 6 miles a day. Anyway, one thing that is beneficial is that they hooked me up to a monitor each session so that they can check for any heart beat issues. They thought that I developed some missed beats and made me slow down one time. But I took a print out of the exercise EKG to my cardiologist and he said not to worry about it and told me it is safe for me to exercise to my target heart rate. So after 10 sessions I decided to leave the program. I figure my time and money is better spent by joining a gym and exercising there. I think that the bottom line is that rehab is right for some people especially those who don't take care of themselves and those who need to socialize with other cardiac patients to help with post op depression.

Jim

My experience with cardiac rehab was 100% positive. Keep in mind that I was a "gym rat" before surgery, but I was 63 years old, too. I was not able to start rehab until 12 weeks out (complications after surgery), but I did the full 36 sessions (12 weeks, 3 sessions/week). Maybe I was "milking it" a bit, as I was at rehab 3 days a week and at my regular fitness center the other 2 days, doing the same routine. I felt that being supervised while exercising allowed me to push harder with no fear that something could "go wrong" as the rehab center was actually in a hospital. I spoke with the rehab counselors at the start, indicating that I wanted to push the limits, and they helped me to do that. They watched my stats, and when a particular exercise effort level became too easy, they increased the work level. I thoroughly enjoyed the supervised workout, and with the techs pushing me, I needed a shower after each session. Fortunately, the rehab clinic had a reasonable locker room with showers, etc., so I didn't have to wear soggy workout clothes on the way home.

I feel that in rehab, you get from it what you put into it. I pushed hard, and now, 4 1/2 years out, I am probably in better shape (and weigh a bit less) than before surgery. It was well worth the time and effort for me. I would speak with your doc and see if they will "prescribe" rehab if you want to go. They may feel it is optional and unless you ask, they may not send you.

That sounds great Steve, I'm inclined to think, much as you have pointed out. It seems as much mental as it is physical. Gaining confidence in how far to push myself and getting past the fear of what might happen to me if I over do something on my own. Yeah even if it's only for like 2 or 3 weeks I think I'd benefit from it. I just wasn't sure if maybe I misunderstood what cardiac rehab was for and I had it all wrong.

After OHS I was really worried about over doing it. At rehab I was in a controlled environment so they had me up and running 5 mph in no time. I actually wanted to go to rehab longer than the 24 sessions, but they convinced me I was good to go. During rehab I would run on my own on days off and freak out if my heart rate monitor got over 90%. Like others said let them push you as hard as possible so you feel confident out of of rehab. I've never been interested in lifting so I mainly ran on the treadmill and biked with some upper body biking. I stayed away from the elliptical as I never like it as a workout. Fast forward to now I'm happy I did the program as I am now training for a marathon and half ironman next year and I'm 13 months out from surgery.

I was offered it with a "you really don't need it but if you want it it's there" . I didn't do it because I was already walking a few miles a day at a local park and was working at a project at my house. At that point in time I was enjoying the time off and wanted to do my own thing unscheduled. Now ,7 months out, sometimes I wish I did it. I feel great but who knows if it would have made a difference. My only question is does it just get you to where you're going to be physically quicker or is you're long term condition going to be better because of it? For instance, would wherever I'm at physically 2 yrs post surgery be different if I did it?

I loved my cardiac rehab experience. Prior to surgery I worked out daily. I started rehab the moment they would take me (I think it was near the 3 wk mark). By then I was already visiting my gym daily for treadmill walks. What I loved most about the experience as the feeling of security the staff provided me through their monitoring of my heart performance. The staff new I wanted to push myself and they worked with me to customize the rehab program to fit my goals. I went 3 days a week for the full term of rehab and visited my gym on off days. Overall I think my conditioning and recovery was accelerated by participating in the program. You may be the youngest and fittest person you'll meet at rehab but if you enjoy exercising I don't see a down side to participating.

Thanks everyone for sharing your positive remarks. Called my cardiologists office yesterday but was only able to speak to his nurse. I pleaded my case and she agreed to speak to the doctor. He agreed to write an order for my cardiac rehab, so I'm awaiting a phone call from the to set me up with a schedule and hopefully I'll begin right away next week. Very happy about this! Only now I'm concerned about how well I can do as I'm having considerable chest and back pain I think is a result of a pinched nerve. My neck, shoulders and chest has been so tight since surgery I think I've aggravated my chronic back problems, but I don't know how to treat it as my usual routine would be lots of NSAIDs and stretching and exercises to realign things. Now that I'm still sore from surgery the stretching and exercises I'd normally do sound kinda scary and NSAIDs and Coumadin are a no no I'm assuming. I'll work through it I guess

I passed on the cardiac rehab and just cut to the chase and purchased a treadmill. No travel time, just step outside onto the patio, breathe the sea air and get it done.

I like and recommend it. Nice to have a nurse nearby if something goes wrong. also nice to have priofessional advice and plan and equipment. yes it is a hassle to get there, but once I get there it's a good experience. I go 3 morning a week. they also offer classes aft the work out on things like nutrition, stress relief and stuff like that. it's also good to see documented progress and others in you situation. they take my BP when I arrive while exercising and before and have a 3 lead motor hooked up while exercising. Very ry reassuring in uncertain times....

MethodAir;n858327 said:
I passed on the cardiac rehab and just cut to the chase and purchased a treadmill. No travel time, just step outside onto the patio, breathe the sea air and get it done.

Sounds pretty awesome. Unfortunately I have to drive about 5 miles to get to the sea air. And the hospital is closer LOL

ALLBETTERNOW!;n858331 said:
I like and recommend it. Nice to have a nurse nearby if something goes wrong. also nice to have priofessional advice and plan and equipment. yes it is a hassle to get there, but once I get there it's a good experience. I go 3 morning a week. they also offer classes aft the work out on things like nutrition, stress relief and stuff like that. it's also good to see documented progress and others in you situation. they take my BP when I arrive while exercising and before and have a 3 lead motor hooked up while exercising. Very ry reassuring in uncertain times....

Sounds great! Sounds like exactly what I'd hope for.

Hi -
I had my aortic valve replaced in April 2015 and prior to surgery I was quite fit (52 and a runner) and was asymptomatic. I had no post-surgery complications. Once home I was provided a walking program to follow - which I did religiously - leading up to doing 40min walks twice a day. After 2 months I had peaked out the walking program and wanted to get started running. I was also told that perhaps in hospital rehab was not appropriate since I was so far ahead of most patients but I really wasn't confident about starting harder exercise without any oversight. An alternative was offered to do a home rehab program. Initially I went in to meet with a nurse and physiotherapist to see what stage my activity and health was at. Then I was scheduled for a formal exercise stress test to see what happened to my heart when I stressed it with harder activity. Once the stress test results were back, I went back into see the physiotherapist (at this point it was about 3 months post surgery) and it was concluded that my stress test results were good. From that point onward - I did all my exercising at home with a heart rate monitor on. One of the main things the stress test results do is to set your maximum HR for exercise. I was provided with a GRADUAL walk/running program that started at 7 minutes walking and 1 min running - and over a period of 2months I have progressed to running for 40min (more like jogging) without walking breaks. Every week or so I would speak with my physiotherapist by phone to update her on my progress and to discuss any issues I was having. This monitored home program worked very well for me and made me feel very SAFE getting back to running. Anyway I thought I would share with you and maybe you could see if your center might provide this as an option?

almost_hectic;n858283 said:
Is cardiac rehabilitation after OHS time well spent or a waste of time? Everything I've read sounded very encouraging and I fully assumed after my valve replacement my doctor would send me to rehab. I was actually looking forward to it, all the while thinking okay right now I'm healing but once I do rehab is when I'll really put myself on the path to recovery! Well I'm a little over 4 weeks postoperative and I saw my cardiologist this week. He doesn't think I need cardiac rehab?.. I was shocked and disappointed. But I'm wondering if in my head I've made rehabilitation out to be more than it is. Yes I'm young (44) and in very good health, but is rehab only for elderly sickly patients? I'm considering going back to my doctor and ask him to reconsider sending me. My best possible health outcome is my only priority right now. I've prepared everything for this surgery for years. I got the best health insurance and pay a hefty price for it. I got a disability policy to pay me while I'm out of work and paid into it for ten years! I've cleared taking as much time as I need from my employer. Done everything I could to let nothing stand in my way of getting the best care and best recovery. and now it's like I don't get to follow through.

Have I over done it? It seems to you can't possibly in this situation...
I would recommend rehab. They will start you off super slow and increase the workouts weekly. You will actually be surprised at what you have accomplished after you are done with it. It will also give you a reason to get out of the house a few times a week. People all do do better when they have a trainer pushing them than they do on their own.

Latest posts

Back